Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Old 09-16-09, 09:03 AM
Banned

Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Would have posted this in the "Wilson" thread, but thought maybe it deserved its own.

Carter's latest Papal Bull is stating his opinion that Wilson's outburst was "based on racism" and fear of a black President (apologies to Public Enemy).

Why can't the guy just shut up? He had his chance to be relevant & blew it. Now he has to be an expert on Southern Baptist Convention, psychoanalyzing politicians, global warming, etc. I admired him when he did his Habitat for Humanity thing, but now he's making me wonder if it wasn't just a bid for publicity (not that I'd go so far as to assert that without concrete evidence). Even quite a few normally rabid HuffyPuffy posters seem to think his statement was unnecessary.

Carter should just do the speech circuit, write more memoirs, & stare at his Nobel Prize unless someone really needs his opinion. Can't see that his latest pronouncement does anything to solve the country's problems; if anything, it just serves to exacerbate the hostile atmosphere.

That's MHO.

BTW...Saw Carter weighing in on the legacy of John Wayne during an Encore Western tribute. The guy was incredibly verbose & stilted (in fairness, John McCain was nearly as bad). It's like he was stumbling over himself trying to sound "Presidential" instead of just speaking from the heart (in contrast, noted liberal Norman Lear came across as sincerely eloquent in his heart-felt, simple statements). Sure doesn't sound like the "peanut farmer" from Plains.

Have to admit that (Bill) Clinton & Pres. Obama sound more like intelligent, normal people who aren't trying to impress the audience with their big vocabulary.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-16-09 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-16-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

I usually defend him since he's the local boy but playing the race card is a new low.
Old 09-16-09, 09:15 AM

Here's a link, since none was provided in the OP:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5314174.shtml
Old 09-16-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Wow, I can't believe I agree with creekdipper.
Old 09-16-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
Wow, I can't believe I agree with creekdipper.
Old 09-16-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Jimmy Carter has a disease that is generally associated with the cattle industry.
Old 09-16-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

It's really just more of this..

If you disagree with Obama - you are racist.

Obama can lie. Obama can push bad legislation. Obama can do anything. If you complain or speak out against him someone, somewhere, will claim it is all done because of his race. Especially when the person who did the disagreeing is correct.
Old 09-16-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think it's as simple as plain racism.

But I am confident in saying that if Obama were white, Wilson would never have disrupted him.
Old 09-16-09, 11:37 AM
X
Administrator

The sky is blue.

Actually, that's not an equivalent statement because sometimes the sky is grey.
Old 09-16-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I don't think it's as simple as plain racism.

But I am confident in saying that if Obama were white, Wilson would never have disrupted him.
The only possible way that could be seen as true is if you base it on the fact that a white man with Obama's qualifications would have never been elected president.
Old 09-16-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Is everyone who disagrees with President Obama a racist? No. But to deny that there is a racist aspect to the people who portray Obama as an illegal alien, a Muslim terrorist, a communist, a marxist and on and on is foolish.

Carter is not an idiot. In addition to all of his accomplishments (none of which involve posting on forums all day), he grew up in the south and as someone who has seen racism, is giving his informed opinion.
First paragraph - in complete agreement.

I believe Carter is still pissed off because he was only a one-term president.
Old 09-16-09, 11:45 AM

Wilson just looks like a racist (half joking here).

But this is the great thing about racism today-- hardly anyone is open about it, and if anyone even considers that someone may have some racist tendencies or motivation, others can just scream "race card!" Wilson wasn't arguing facts, just what he believed, there's a difference.
Old 09-16-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The issue isn't what Wilson's arguing, but how he's arguing them.

And the question is what influenced his "how".
Old 09-16-09, 12:14 PM

I honestly don't mean to imply anything about you personally but this sort of thinking has always struck me as people projecting their own feelings about race onto the motivation of others. When I read Maureen Dowd's op-ed* that she heard 'You lie!' with "unspoken word in the air: You lie, boy!", I was really disturbed by that sentiment. I think that liberal white guilt has finally gone over the deep end and the only way they can function is to project it away from themselves onto others in cries of racism.

Personally, I voted for Obama because I wanted a change in war policy, civil liberties and corruption from the previous administration. Right now, it feels like a continuation of the worst of Bush's policies combined with the worst of liberal excess. Then again, I've always been racist in my thinking like that...

* http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/13/opinion/13dowd.html
Old 09-16-09, 12:14 PM

The issue isn't what Wilson's arguing, but how he's arguing them.

And the question is what influenced his "how".
It was simply a matter of doing good vs feeling good. I wish Wilson had considered that before doing what he did.
Old 09-16-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech?
People were doing the same thing to Bush. Was it racist?
Old 09-16-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech?
Um........no

I dont think you know what Hate Speech means
Old 09-16-09, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
But this is the great thing about racism today-- hardly anyone is open about it, and if anyone even considers that someone may have some racist tendencies or motivation, others can just scream "race card!" Wilson wasn't arguing facts, just what he believed, there's a difference.
and on the flip side if someone disagrees with anything a minority says, others can just scream "racist" and ignore what they said.
Old 09-16-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech? People holding the confederate flag, yelling 'I want my country back' doesn't smack of racism? (They want their country back from that 'uppity negro' who's in the white house.)

Sure it is hateful speech, but I understand a little more when some rube says it than when the Speaker of the House does. I don't know enough about the connotations of the confederate flag, personally.

But here is something undeniable....everyone against The Obama has been grouped together as racists. More people are against The Obama according to the polls than are for him. Thus, racists helped get The Obama elected.

We weere told that this was a great sign that racism was on the way out when Obama was elected. Little did we know that disagreeing with him lead to this being the most racist time in our history. They need to give it a rest.
Old 09-16-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
We weere told that this was a great sign that racism was on the way out when Obama was elected. Little did we know that disagreeing with him lead to this being the most racist time in our history. They need to give it a rest.
I remember hearing that we were going to head into a post-racist America now that we got a black president in. The ones pushing the racism angle are his own people. He should put a stop to it - but I'm sure he thinks he will benefit from it so .. I doubt he will.
Old 09-16-09, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
and on the flip side if someone disagrees with anything a minority says, others can just scream "racist" and ignore what they said.
Prove that Obama was lying, and I'll believe you. No one here has been able to do it besides point out a bill which is not necessarily the bill that will be passed. So, again, how are we ignoring what Wilson said?
Old 09-16-09, 01:07 PM

Wow, really?

You must be missing all of the reports about the "I want my country back" protests. Don't see too many black people among the people holding their hate-filled signs. It's a sea of white people. A sea of uninformed, ignorant white people who, hopefully, represent a very small minority of the people in this country.
Even better are the signs that say "he's a Kenyan" or "go back to Kenya!" which is the new "go back to Africa."
Old 09-16-09, 01:10 PM

So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech? People holding the confederate flag, yelling 'I want my country back' doesn't smack of racism? (They want their country back from that 'uppity negro' who's in the white house.)

Here's a video from 9/12 of the morons on parade....

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUPMjC9mq5Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lUPMjC9mq5Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Is everyone who disagrees with President Obama a racist? No. But to deny that there is a racist aspect to the people who portray Obama as an illegal alien, a Muslim terrorist, a communist, a marxist and on and on is foolish.
I agree that it is hateful and disgusting to compare the President of the United States to a barbaric murderer of millions.

Carter is not an idiot. In addition to all of his accomplishments (none of which involve posting on forums all day), he grew up in the south and as someone who has seen racism, is giving his informed opinion.

And yet he has offered previously that the United States government should have avoided armed conflict and negotiated with the subjugators of Africans, simply because one day all of the slaves would eventually be freed. Does he believe this because he is racist, or just an observation as a southerner?
Old 09-16-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Prove that Obama was lying, and I'll believe you. No one here has been able to do it besides point out a bill which is not necessarily the bill that will be passed. So, again, how are we ignoring what Wilson said?
I've said from the beginning I think Wilson was in the wrong. However, that doesn't make him racist. Neither does it make people who disagree with Obama racist.
Old 09-16-09, 01:13 PM

Wow, really?

You must be missing all of the reports about the "I want my country back" protests. Don't see too many black people among the people holding their hate-filled signs. It's a sea of white people. A sea of uninformed, ignorant white people who, hopefully, represent a very small minority of the people in this country.
So there is no other explanation for why these people might "want their country back"? It might not have anything to do with policies and ideology?

How can we then explain people who believed the same thing under both of the previous two administrations?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.