Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Old 09-16-09, 12:20 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Legend
 
LurkerDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: The People's Republic of Boulder
Posts: 22,777
Received 114 Likes on 85 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Are all or even most people who disagree with Obama racist? of course not (and that isn't what Carter said, actually). Are all of the people displaying intense animosity towards Obama racist? No. Are some of them? You bet your ass. And if you think otherwise, you need to pull your head out of the sand. The fact that we elected a black president doesn't mean we don't have racists (of all shapes sizes and colors) still living here.

Does any of this actually get us anywhere? No.
Old 09-16-09, 12:22 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,533
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech? People holding the confederate flag, yelling 'I want my country back' doesn't smack of racism? (They want their country back from that 'uppity negro' who's in the white house.)

Here's a video from 9/12 of the morons on parade....
Political whack-jobs show up to protests, film at 11.

Were you asleep for the last eight years? Did you miss the nuttery that went on at anti-war protests -- Bush as Hitler, evil Joos control the government, 11 September was a set-up? Liberals rightly complained when conservatives tried to portray those protests as nothing but a bunch of commie-pinko Jew-haters.

The 9/12 protests were no more full of racists than the anti-war protests were full of anti-Semites. Both sides need to stop pretending like the other side poops toxic waste while their own butts produce nothing but sweet frosted cupcakes.

Mote, beam, etc.
Old 09-16-09, 12:23 PM
  #28  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Are all or even most people who disagree with Obama racist? of course not (and that isn't what Carter said, actually). Are all of the people displaying intense animosity towards Obama racist? No. Are some of them? You bet your ass. And if you think otherwise, you need to pull your head out of the sand. The fact that we elected a black president doesn't mean we don't have racists (of all shapes sizes and colors) still living here.

Does any of this actually get us anywhere? No.
Is there anything that has gone against Obama that hasn't been blamed on racism?
Old 09-16-09, 12:32 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,983
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Are all or even most people who disagree with Obama racist? of course not (and that isn't what Carter said, actually).
I think an overwhelming portion of the intensely demonstrated animosity toward President Barack Obama is based on the fact that he is a black man, that he's African-American
Not exactly that but he thinks "an overwhelming portion" of "animosity" is racist
Old 09-16-09, 01:14 PM
  #30  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,501
Received 314 Likes on 198 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
So there is no other explanation for why these people might "want their country back"? It might not have anything to do with policies and ideology?

How can we then explain people who believed the same thing under both of the previous two administrations?
Exactly. These people are talking about getting the country once again moving in a capitalist direction instead of a socialist direction. But since most of the people are white and Obama is black - Obama's supporters see this as an opportunity to try to twist it into something it isn't. It's politics and I expected nothing less.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Were you asleep for the last eight years? Did you miss the nuttery that went on at anti-war protests -- Bush as Hitler, evil Joos control the government, 11 September was a set-up?
I'd go with "Willfully ignorant" instead of asleep
Old 09-16-09, 01:22 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Legend
 
chuckd21's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,699
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

I have no idea if Wilson is racist or not, and have no way of telling from his childish outburst during the address. BUT, you cannot deny that there are many closeted racists out there who disagree with the President solely because he's half-black. Which to them means he's all black.

I'm not saying that you're racist if you disagree with the President.
Old 09-16-09, 01:24 PM
  #32  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West Central Georgia
Posts: 3,512
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Jimmy Carter
Old 09-16-09, 01:25 PM
  #33  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Not exactly that but he thinks "an overwhelming portion" of "animosity" is racist
Birthers. People who question his Christianity. Fringe elements. I've heard several references to his race (in an extremely negative way) from opponents of his Presidency myself.
Old 09-16-09, 01:26 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,983
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
I have no idea if Wilson is racist or not, and have no way of telling from his childish outburst during the address. BUT, you cannot deny that there are many closeted racists out there who disagree with the President solely because he's half-black. Which to them means he's all black.

I'm not saying that you're racist if you disagree with the President.
Agree with everything you said.
Old 09-16-09, 01:29 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by chuckd21 View Post
I have no idea if Wilson is racist or not, and have no way of telling from his childish outburst during the address. BUT, you cannot deny that there are many closeted racists out there who disagree with the President solely because he's half-black. Which to them means he's all black.

I'm not saying that you're racist if you disagree with the President.
Okaaaaay. I concede. There are still racists in America

With that concession I'll agree with Lurker Dan:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Are all or even most people who disagree with Obama racist? of course not (and that isn't what Carter said, actually). Are all of the people displaying intense animosity towards Obama racist? No. Are some of them? You bet your ass. And if you think otherwise, you need to pull your head out of the sand. The fact that we elected a black president doesn't mean we don't have racists (of all shapes sizes and colors) still living here.

Does any of this actually get us anywhere? No.
So, because there are racists in this country, anyone who disagrees with the President is labeled a racist, because... I guess there isn't ANY VALID reason why ANYONE might disagree with the man.

By pointing out there is still racism in America, what does it gain? And actually by continually claiming people opposed to Obama are racists, they're going to end up with the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome. People are going to drown out the charges, even when they might have merit at some point!
Old 09-16-09, 01:41 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

I never heard anyone claim John McCain was a racist. Or Mitt Romney. Or Mitch McConnell. Or many legitimate opposition leaders to the President. It's only those who cannot deal with the FACT that there are racist opponents of the President who need to stretch it out as a blanket indictment of ALL who disagree. A weak position.

Addison Graves Wilson does have racist tendencies.

For example:

In 2003, Wilson attacked Strom Thurmond’s natural biracial daughter, Essie Mae Washington-Williams, saying her public acknowledgement of her parentage shortly after Thurmond’s death was “a smear” designed to “diminish Thurmond’s legacy.” Wilson launched his political career working as an aide to Senator Thurmond and has continuously held the staunch segregationist as a hero.
http://harpers.org/archive/2009/09/hbc-90005700
And a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans:

Who are the SCV? A once-proud organization of Confederate history buffs and Civil War re-enactors that traditionally spent its money to restore battlefields and Confederate cemeteries. By 2006, however, the SCV had been substantially taken over by an organized cadre of white supremacists (read here for more background) who sought to turn the nation’s oldest Southern historical society into what the veteran white supremacy activist Kirk Lyons called “a modern, 21st century Christian war machine capable of uniting the Confederate community and leading it to ultimate victory,” had seized much of the SCV’s leadership positions, the Southern Poverty Law Center released an extensive list of SCV officials who belonged to “hate groups.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-a...ns-rebel-yell/

Last edited by CRM114; 09-16-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 01:46 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 22,501
Received 314 Likes on 198 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Not any more weak or ridiculous than those that cannot deal with the FACT that there are opponents of the president who are NOT racist.

Yet when Joe Wilson or someone speaks up against Obama that's what they get labeled as. So can we agree there's rampant stupidity on both sides and Jimmy Carter is an idiot for being part of it?
Old 09-16-09, 02:20 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Posts: 10,909
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
So people protesting holding signs portraying Obama as Hitler isn't hate speech? People holding the confederate flag, yelling 'I want my country back' doesn't smack of racism? (They want their country back from that 'uppity negro' who's in the white house.)

Is everyone who disagrees with President Obama a racist? No. But to deny that there is a racist aspect to the people who portray Obama as an illegal alien, a Muslim terrorist, a communist, a marxist and on and on is foolish.

Carter is not an idiot. In addition to all of his accomplishments (none of which involve posting on forums all day), he grew up in the south and as someone who has seen racism, is giving his informed opinion.
http://www.pbase.com/tommyceez/rnc_protest&page=all


Ok and for eye candy

http://www.pbase.com/tommyceez/axis_...otest&page=all

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 09-16-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 03:10 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Carter is a disgrace to our country and he's a fool.

Like a dog to its vomit, he returns to his foolishness often.
Old 09-16-09, 03:10 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I never heard anyone claim John McCain was a racist. Or Mitt Romney. Or Mitch McConnell. Or many legitimate opposition leaders to the President. It's only those who cannot deal with the FACT that there are racist opponents of the President who need to stretch it out as a blanket indictment of ALL who disagree. A weak position.

Addison Graves Wilson does have racist tendencies.

For example:



And a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans:

Robert Byrd obviously has racial tendancies as well, but it doesn't matter since he agrees with the health care issue.

So what's the point of race again? Oh yeah, to make people believe that there is actually more real support for healthcare and the only reason people are against it is because they are racist.

Pure crap.
Old 09-16-09, 03:43 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,438
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Pure crap.
Nice argument.

I'm pretty sure this "pure crap" line has been shown to be racist.

You know who craps? Black people. Black people crap and you can't deny it and you can't do nothin' about it, either.
Old 09-16-09, 04:24 PM
  #42  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,580
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

If a person makes a statement (verbal or visual) that contains blatant elements of racism, that's fair game. Otherwise, give it a break, since you're not doing your candidate any favors.

I admit to entertaining elements of racism (and gender bias) in actually hoping to see a minority President or perhaps a female President in my lifetime because I thought it would indicate signs of progress for our country. Of course, I also wanted those representatives of other races/genders to represent my political views and to be the best candidate for the job.

The thing I would like to say to knee-jerk protesters who cry "racism" at every criticism of a minority political figure (except Michael Steele, Clarence Thomas, etc.) is that they should realize that they are making it harder for the next minority candidate. I'm sure that many liberal ("progressive") voters are cringing or gritting their teeth when they hear these accusations which seem to happen whether they have any credible basis or not. I would think that some, while not regretting their vote for Obama, may be thinking "If this is what is going to happen every time we elect a black President...." These 'supporters' of Obama should stop & think what message they are sending & how it might become counterproductive (the same would have happened if H. Clinton had been elected and supporters had claimed "gender discrimination" every time someone criticized her agenda).

And I do have to wonder if an African-American Republican were elected, would his opponents cry "racism" whenever he/she was criticized.

Personally, I was hoping Dennis Haysbert would be the first black President. Now, THAT would be change I could believe in. Negotiate, hell! Give me an AK & watch me negotiate.
Chuck Norris could have been his VP.
Old 09-16-09, 05:27 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,946
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Nice argument.

I'm pretty sure this "pure crap" line has been shown to be racist.

You know who craps? Black people. Black people crap and you can't deny it and you can't do nothin' about it, either.


You do realize talking about black people crapping is very racist.
Old 09-16-09, 06:16 PM
  #44  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 20,057
Received 162 Likes on 122 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

People, people can't we all just get along? The truth beneath all of this is that Wilson was right, Obama is a liar. Politician = Liar

You can tell they are lying by watching their lips, when the lips move they are lying.

Obama's a liar, Wilson's a liar, every politician is a liar. Anyone looking for truth shouldn't be following politics.
Old 09-16-09, 06:49 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

The bandying about of the word racist is being used as a weapon all throughout the West, and this piece sums up my position quite well:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1702684/posts

The whole thing is worth reading, but it's kind of long---some bits:

********

.....Much of the political Left is simply engaged in outing their opponents as evil, instead of rationally arguing against their ideas. Attaching labels such as “racist” or even “Fascist” to anyone criticizing massive immigration or Multiculturalism has become so common that Norwegian anti-Islamists have coined a new word for it: “Hitling,” which could be roughly translated to English as “to make like Hitler.” The logic behind “hitling” is a bit like this: “You have a beard. Adolf Hitler had facial hair, too, so you must be like Hitler. Adolf Hitler liked dogs. You have pets, too, you must be like Hitler. Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian. You like carrots, you are just like Hitler.”

Any “right-winger” can be slimed with such accusations. Curiously enough, the reverse is almost never true. Although Marxism may have killed 100 million people during the 20th century and failed in every single society in which it has ever been tried out, there seems to be little stigma attached to being a Leftist. The fact that Leftists can get away with this and claim to hold the moral high ground amply demonstrates that we didn’t win the Cold War. We let our guard down after the fall of the Berlin Wall and never properly denounced the ideology behind it. This is now coming back to haunt us.

One member of an anti-immigration party in Britain stated that to be called racist in 21st-century Britain is “the same as being branded a witch in the Middle Ages.” He’s probably right, which means that anti-racism has quite literally become a modern witch-hunt........

In an interview with Danish weekly Weekendavisen, [French philosopher Alain] Finkielkraut said that: “Racism is the only thing that can still arouse anger among the intellectuals, the journalists and people in the entertainment business, in other words, the elites. Culture and religion have collapsed, only anti-racism is left. And it functions like an intolerant and inhumane idolatry.......“I think that the lofty idea of ‘the war on racism’ is gradually turning into a hideously false ideology. And this anti-racism will be for the 21st century what communism was for the 20th century: A source of violence.”
Old 09-16-09, 06:56 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,388
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Republicans hate Obama because he is a liberal, not because he is black. Does Jimmy Carter remember the Clinton years, the republicans were the same way. Does Jimmy Carter remember the Bush Jr. years, the dems were the same way.

This is all about ideology, not race.
Old 09-16-09, 07:05 PM
  #47  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

And another point. When Condoleeza Rice became Secretary of State, I think you could make an argument that she became the most powerful black woman in the history of the US, and maybe the world. Where was the big outcry from all those racist Republicans and conservatives, and the great unwashed white tea-party masses? Surely they must have been enraged that a black person was elevated to this position? Why were they so silent on that issue?

In contrast, I think it's a safe bet that those on the left won't be putting forth the idea of formally honoring Rice's pioneering accomplishments as a black woman any time soon. Instead, she was largely savaged as an "Uncle Tom" or a "house nig**r". And if you want to see racist caricatures, just do a Google search for "political" cartoons of Rice from left-leaning cartoonists.

edit: no mention of Rice is complete without a photo of her in her kick-ass Matrix outfit:



Last edited by Ky-Fi; 09-16-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 07:17 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

I think that position has always been held by Oprah, but I agree with your point.

Racism is alive because the Democrats are keeping it alive.
Old 09-16-09, 07:34 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lyon Estates
Posts: 10,795
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
And another point. When Condoleeza Rice became Secretary of State, I think you could make an argument that she became the most powerful black woman in the history of the US, and maybe the world. Where was the big outcry from all those racist Republicans and conservatives, and the great unwashed white tea-party masses? Surely they must have been enraged that a black person was elevated to this position? Why were they so silent on that issue?
because.......black Republican is okay, but black Democrat is not.
Old 09-16-09, 07:39 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,189
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Jimmy Carter Is An Idiot (racism discussion)

Originally Posted by dick_grayson View Post
because.......black Republican is okay, but black Democrat is not.
That's how we know it is racism....because it is about ideology, which at its core is racist.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.