Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Old 09-15-09, 08:17 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 13,552
Obama calls Kanye West a jackass - Now with audio!

Obama calls Kanye West a jackass
“Now THAT’s presidential”
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=kanye+west+jackass
Audio below -
http://www.tmz.com/2009/09/15/obama-...nye-a-jackass/

Last edited by mspmms; 09-15-09 at 05:00 PM.
mspmms is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:31 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Off the record. Just a hunch but some past presidents have said just slightly worse things off the record. Maybe even an F word or two. Gasp!

Really... "jackass?" People are going to get upset about "jackass?"

I don't cuss and I'll say jackass on occasion.

Plus this is Kanye West.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 09-15-09 at 08:33 AM.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:34 AM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

This required its own thread?
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:36 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Nice to see Obama finally saying something that everyone can agree on.

Last edited by cpgator; 09-15-09 at 10:36 AM.
cpgator is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:39 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

If Obama told his young daughters that Kanye West of all people is a jackass, that's being a good father, not cussing in front of the kids. Focusing on this off the record comment makes Obama look like a saint.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:52 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,519
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

It's the "Now THAT'S presidential" that gets me. Hey, jackass journalist -- you're the one who took an off-the-record comment and published it. Perhaps he recognized that the comment was slightly undecorous, and that's why he didn't put it on the record?

As for it being presidential, George W. Bush called a reporter a major league asshole into a hot mic. Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, and Lyndon Johnson, among others, were also known to have used a salty word or two in their time. Somehow, the Republic has soldiered on.
JasonF is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 08:52 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
mspmms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 13,552
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This required its own thread?
Well, apparently this did - Wilson calls Obama a liar
mspmms is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:24 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,725
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

I think the “Now THAT’s presidential” was in reference to the President commenting on a celebrity scandal at the MTV Video Music Awards. Usually, Presidents don't weigh-in on celebrity gossip stuff. Obama shouldn't have gotten involved in a local scandal like the Gates vs Cops thing, and he shouldn't be injecting himself into a Hollywood catfight.

That being said, I have no problem with Obama saying "jackass". And I finally agree with him on an issue.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:25 AM
  #9  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Commenting on something off the record is hardly "injecting yourself" into the situation.
Groucho is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:31 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's the "Now THAT'S presidential" that gets me. Hey, jackass journalist -- you're the one who took an off-the-record comment and published it. Perhaps he recognized that the comment was slightly undecorous, and that's why he didn't put it on the record?

As for it being presidential, George W. Bush called a reporter a major league asshole into a hot mic. Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, and Lyndon Johnson, among others, were also known to have used a salty word or two in their time. Somehow, the Republic has soldiered on.
Were you critical of Bush for calling the reporter that?

I'm just testing your consistency.

The comment by Obama would be considered tame comparing them with some of the comments that Harry Truman made.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:31 AM
  #11  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,725
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Commenting on something off the record is hardly "injecting yourself" into the situation.
And yet, that's exactly what he did. He probably should have just blown off the question.
TheBigDave is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:40 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As for it being presidential, George W. Bush called a reporter a major league asshole into a hot mic. Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, and Lyndon Johnson, among others, were also known to have used a salty word or two in their time. Somehow, the Republic has soldiered on.
How come I get jumped on by the lefties on this board whenever I mention something happened the same way in the past (i.e. The Democrats in congress jeering and booing a Bush speech)?

But seriously, this is a non-issue and I completely agree with the content and context of the comment. Now if he apologizes I will lose complete respect for the man and chalk it up to one more stage in the "pussification" of America.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:41 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
And yet, that's exactly what he did. He probably should have just blown off the question.
Or people should turn down the sensitivity on their offensive comments meter. This is easily the most bi-partisan statement that has ever crossed his lips.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 09:52 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Or people should turn down the sensitivity on their offensive comments meter.
Exactly. Apparently the President isn't allowed to talk about casual things, even in casual conversation. It's not like West's actions weren't plastered all over the news posing as "important" to begin with. Commenting on this was perfectly natural, and he had the correct response.

Note to all: Do not get upset about the President's opinions of musicians or football teams. Do get upset about his policies. Unless it's your home team or you are Kanye West's fanboy. Then get a shoe ready.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:17 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
A-aron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as achau9598 - Baltimore, MD
Posts: 5,718
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

What - is he only supposed to watch CSPAN?
A-aron is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:29 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Goat3001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,937
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Barack Obama doesn't care about black people.
Goat3001 is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:31 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Exactly. Apparently the President isn't allowed to talk about casual things, even in casual conversation. It's not like West's actions weren't plastered all over the news posing as "important" to begin with. Commenting on this was perfectly natural, and he had the correct response.

Note to all: Do not get upset about the President's opinions of musicians or football teams. Do get upset about his policies. Unless it's your home team or you are Kanye West's fanboy. Then get a shoe ready.
Unless he goes and messes with the BCS
orangecrush is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:32 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 850
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Gosh forbid if the man follows regular news on any level and is aware of Kanye's latest antics, then offers an opinion after being asked about it in casual conversation. Only every person in America has had something to say about it. Why not Obama?

I think the republic will survive this.
Burgundy LaRue is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:32 AM
  #19  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,495
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Nice to see Obama finally saying someone that everyone can agree on.

Giles is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:32 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Off the record. Just a hunch but some past presidents have said just slightly worse things off the record. Maybe even an F word or two. Gasp!

Really... "jackass?" People are going to get upset about "jackass?"
It's the President making hateful comments about private citizens, which is getting to be a habit with Obama, that concerns me.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:33 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It's the President making hateful comments about private citizens, which is getting to be a habit with Obama, that concerns me.
really??

I really thought this would be something everyone could agree on.
Venusian is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:38 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,054
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It's the President making hateful comments about private citizens, which is getting to be a habit with Obama, that concerns me.
Really? I'm pretty conservative and disagree with Obama on plenty (roughly 100% of political issues), but he got this one exactly right.

Can anyone offer a rational argument that Kayne West ISN'T a jackass? Didn't think so!
OldDude is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:40 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
really??

I really thought this would be something everyone could agree on.
Kanye was right -- Taylor Swift is another talentless white chick with too much makeup.

Unfortunately he was wrong about Beyonce's superiority.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:42 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Kanye was right -- Taylor Swift is another talentless white chick with too much makeup.
I'm pretty sure that aint what he said. But it looks like you're just trolling so I'll leave you at it.
Venusian is offline  
Old 09-15-09, 10:44 AM
  #25  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,725
Re: Obama calls Kanye West a jackass

Let me clarify. I couldn't care less about Obama's comment. Here's what I meant:

When Terry Moran posted “Now THAT’s presidential”, I don't think he was saying "OMG, Obama has a potty mouth". I think it meant "Obama's gossiping about MTV celebrity feuds". Either way, I don't care.

Quite frankly, I'd rather see Obama hosting "The Soup" than shoving health care reform down the country's throat.
TheBigDave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.