Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

U.S. Lifts Almost All Curbs on Family Visits to Cuba

Old 09-04-09, 02:17 PM
Political Exile

I strongly agree with this action by Obama's administration. I think this is the most libertarian thing that President Obama has done so far.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...303810_pf.html

By Karen DeYoung

Washington Post Staff Writer

Friday, September 4, 2009

The Treasury Department formally lifted nearly all U.S. restrictions on family travel to Cuba on Thursday, along with limits on how much money families can send to relatives on the island.

The department also eased regulations prohibiting U.S. telecommunications and satellite linkages between the United States and Cuba and licensing requirements for visitors engaged in agricultural and medical sales.

President Obama first announced most of the changes in April as part of a general opening that he said would allow Americans to reach out to the Cuban people, and he ordered Cabinet departments to take steps to implement the changes. Since then, the administration has also resumed a regular dialogue with the Cuban government on immigration issues and said it would move toward a resumption of direct mail service between the two countries.

The United States severed diplomatic relations with communist Cuba and first imposed a broad trade embargo during the Kennedy administration. Restrictions on travel and other nongovernmental contact have ebbed and flowed over the past five decades, with the tightest limits on family travel and remittances imposed during the administration of President George W. Bush.

U.S. citizens and residents were limited to family visits once every three years, and strict ceilings were placed on the amount and frequency of remittances. Although a congressional majority pushed through provisions exempting the sale of certain agricultural and medical goods from economic sanctions, the Bush administration set tight rules for allowing American sales representatives to travel to Cuba to negotiate the deals.

Obama has said the United States is not willing to explore a resumption of diplomatic ties with Cuba until it releases its political prisoners and the Cuban people are allowed democratic freedoms, measures that the government of President Raķl Castro, who replaced his brother, Fidel, last year, has shown no sign of undertaking.

Licensing for Cuba travel and remittances is regulated by Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control, which officially amended its regulations Thursday.

The amendments expanded the definition of "close relatives" -- previously limited to parents, spouses and children -- and said there would be "no limits" on the frequency or duration of their visits to Cuba. Virtually all restrictions on money sent to Cuban family members were lifted.

The measure easing the sale of agricultural products was not part of the changes Obama initially announced, but it was pushed by Sen. Byron L. Dorgan (D-N.D.), who said in a statement Thursday that the change "will make it easier for our producers to sell their goods to Cuba, and it makes good economic sense for family farmers in North Dakota and across the country."
Old 09-04-09, 02:38 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: U.S. Lifts Almost All Curbs on Family Visits to Cuba

No poll?
Old 09-04-09, 02:43 PM

Change.

Old 09-04-09, 02:51 PM
Admin-Thanos

Was that a zing?
Old 09-04-09, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Was that a zing?
Since the mantra "change" is being thrown around here a lot in a sarcastic and critical fashion (I guess it's the "mission accomplished" of the right) I was merely pointing out that sometimes Obama represents change, and in a good way.
Old 09-04-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope we drop all the stuff/embargo with Cuba and just open up trade with them.
Old 09-04-09, 03:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll... smoke to that.

Old 09-04-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Since the mantra "change" is being thrown around here a lot in a sarcastic and critical fashion (I guess it's the "mission accomplished" of the right) I was merely pointing out that sometimes Obama represents change, and in a good way.
It's actually the 2009 version of "I need more proof." Of course, we all know how that worked out ...
Old 09-04-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a friend who passed away a few years back and he was from Cuba. He left Cuba way back in the early sixties i think he was involved in some stuff against the Cuban government and basically was kicked out .

About 9 years ago we went to a Cuban restaurant in Boston and when the Cuban who owned the restaurant learned that my friend was from Cuba he rushed over to us and started asking questions about his family and where in Cuba he grew up etc...
Well my friend just clammed up didn't say anything ...NADA! When we left the restaurant i turned to my friend and asked why he was so rude to the guy and he looked at me and said " I have family down there and i don't want anything getting back to Fidel"
He was scared shitless of Castro you should had seen the look in his eyes and you can bet he never went back to that restaurant.
Old 09-04-09, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It's actually the 2009 version of "I need more proof." Of course, we all know how that worked out ...
No! The 2009 version of "I need more proof" is "We need a public option!"
Old 09-04-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
I'll... smoke to that.

You do know you can get those now right?

The real Cohiba from Cuba are a different thing though.
Old 09-04-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So no hordes of American tourists to Cuba? Pfewwwwwwwwww!
Old 09-04-09, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
So no hordes of American tourists to Cuba? Pfewwwwwwwwww!
Don't worry. If they ever get a real government there and all the bans and sanctions are lifted, there won't be a single reason for anybody to visit there.

Old 09-05-09, 02:01 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
You do know you can get those now right?

The real Cohiba from Cuba are a different thing though.
I know. Just saying that it's a good decision, and I'll smoke to that.
Old 09-05-09, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
I hope we drop all the stuff/embargo with Cuba and just open up trade with them.
So not just change, but meaningful change? Damn, we are tough to satisfy.
Old 09-05-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, because we really care about political prisoners and democratic freedoms in China and Saudi Arabia. It would be nice if our foreign policy was consistent. Either we do care about that stuff or we don't.