Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

If you disagree with Obama - you are racist.

Old 09-01-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: If you disagree with Obama - you are racist.

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
Well, did you vote for McCain because he was white? It sure seems like you're saying you did. If someone voted for Obama because think he is black, then they are the same thing. (Even though he's not black. He's HALF black. He's also half white.) But it's kind of silly argument to suggest that Obama got voted in because he was black. If anything, the odds were stacked against him because he's not 100% white. People like you for example.
You don't think the media love affair with him during the Dem nomination battle vs. Hillary and on to the general had anything to do with the color of his skin? Do you not think that media tilt toward Obama helped him in the election, primary and/or general?

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-01-09 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Well, did you vote for McCain because he was white? It sure seems like you're saying you did. If someone voted for Obama because think he is black, then they are the same thing. (Even though he's not black. He's HALF black. He's also half white.) But it's kind of silly argument to suggest that Obama got voted in because he was black. If anything, the odds were stacked against him because he's not 100% white. People like you for example.
I am 1000% convinced Obama was elected because he was black. Hillary was a much much more qualified candidate in every area except, apparently, skin color.
Old 09-01-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I agree that this is a big problem. When someone else foots the bill, the beneficiary won't bother to shop around. That's why if government is going to get involved, I'd prefer a Singapore type system.
I'm not sure we want people shopping around on health care. You are far better served by having a single GP who knows you and is familiar with your history than by going to whichever doctor is having a sale on angina checks this week.
Old 09-01-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I am 1000% convinced Obama was elected because he was black. Hillary was a much much more qualified candidate in every area except, apparently, skin color.
Says you. The voters disagreed.

How do you measure how qualified a candidate is, anyway?
Old 09-01-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm not sure we want people shopping around on health care. You are far better served by having a single GP who knows you and is familiar with your history than by going to whichever doctor is having a sale on angina checks this week.
You can't lump every medical procedure together. What if you are getting an MRI? Or a physical? I don't see any issue with shopping around for things like that. People do it all the time for elective procedures.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-01-09 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And if Clinton had won you'd be 1000% convinced she was elected because of her gender.
Old 09-01-09, 09:09 AM

Obama won the nomination because he's black. It's actually a little more complicated than that, but I think that's essentially it. He won the general election because he's a Democrat.
Old 09-01-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
And if Clinton had won you'd be 1000% convinced she was elected because of her gender.
Dude, he's 1,000% convinced, don't argue with him!
Old 09-01-09, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Obama won the nomination because he's black. It's actually a little more complicated than that, but I think that's essentially it. He won the general election because he's a Democrat.
Yes that's why I was talking about him vs. Hillary and not him vs McCain. In the general election there was certainly other factors at play.

And I would not have said Hillary won because of her gender - because I think her gender is undetermined.

However because of what TB said it gave me pause to think... and I am now only 999.99% convinced.
Old 09-01-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk God

I believe he won the nomination because he was able to sell the change argument. That was very important to many Democratic primary voters. Hillary didn't represent the change that they desired.
Old 09-01-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

However because of what TB said it gave me pause to think... and I am now only 999.99% convinced.
Old 09-01-09, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

President Obama won the nomination because he was perceived as coming from outside the system that had enabled the Bush policies of the last 8 years, but was till mainstream enough to be a credible general election candidate. Perhaps more importantly, Senator Clinton was perceived (not entirely without basis) as a hawk on Iraq.
Old 09-01-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

President Obama won the nomination because he was perceived as coming from outside the system that had enabled the Bush policies of the last 8 years, but was till mainstream enough to be a credible general election candidate. Perhaps more importantly, Senator Clinton was perceived (not entirely without basis) as a hawk on Iraq.

You don't think his race had anything to do with it? You don't think his race had anything to do with his meteoric rise, particularly in the media? If Obama was white with those 'qualities' you mention, there's no way he beats Hillary.
Old 09-01-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

By your argument, Jesse Jackson should have won years ago. Or did black people just recently become a popular fad? By your argument, ANY ole black person could have run and won simply for being black (half). I think you focus on race because that's what's important to you. read jasonf's post for the reason that most people I know voted for him.

And let's please not talk about qualifications as if that's how you vote. If that were true, you never would have voted for bush over either gore OR Kerry. You know quite well that qualifications is one of the last things on voters' minds. We can thank that reason for giving us Sarah pahlin.

Last edited by hahn; 09-01-09 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk God

How do you measure how qualified a candidate is, anyway?

No one seemed to have a problem with it when it came to Palin.
Old 09-01-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

By your argument, Jesse Jackson should have won years ago. Or did black people just recently become a popular fad? By your argument, ANY ole black person could have run and won simply for being black (half).

I disagree. I think what Zod is saying is but for Obama's race, he would not have won the Presidency. I think that's true since I think his race is what led to his meteoric rise, which allowed him to beat Hillary. He had the media completely on his side. That doesn't mean that race alone won the election.

Jesse Jackson had numerous characteristics that Obama doesn't have. For example, Jesse Jackson wore his race on his sleeve - everything was racial. Obama didn't really do that, which helped him with whites.

Last edited by Red Dog; 09-01-09 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

And let's please not talk about qualifications as if that's how you vote. If that were true, you never would have voted for bush over either gore OR Kerry.
You wouldn't? I would. Personally, I don't think Senators make good presidents. The voters generally agree since Obama is the firs since JFK. He will likely be the last for a generation as well.
Old 09-01-09, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You don't think his race had anything to do with it? You don't think his race had anything to do with his meteoric rise, particularly in the media? If Obama was white with those 'qualities' you mention, there's no way he beats Hillary.
of course race was a factor. However, prove that more people voted for him because he was black than people who voted for Clinton because she was a woman. Or more than people who voted for McCain because he was white. Your saying there were none? Or that there were far fewer?
Old 09-01-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I think this had more to do with it than race (though his race probably helped him get exposure). I know a lot of "younger" people who primarily voted for him because he appeared to not be a typical politician.
Old 09-01-09, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
You wouldn't? I would. Personally, I don't think Senators make good presidents. The voters generally agree since Obama is the firs since JFK. He will likely be the last for a generation as well.
Gore was vp. I seem to recall someone else who was vp and became president.

I know you're somewhat joking, but just because there hasn't been a senator since jfk to become president, doesn't mean that's the reason why. But it goes to my original point that qualification on paper doesn't really matter. You're suggesting that most of the public could explain the difference between senator and governor?
Old 09-01-09, 10:56 AM

he appeared to not be a typical politician.
Surprise surprise surprise... turns out he is. Frankly I don't see how any can think someone running for President is not a typical politician considering that's the consummate political position.
Old 09-01-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
I think this had more to do with it than race (though his race probably helped him get exposure). I know a lot of "younger" people who primarily voted for him because he appeared to not be a typical politician.
How do you quantify "primarily"? Were people weeping on election day because the person who won was not a typical politician?
Old 09-01-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

of course race was a factor. However, prove that more people voted for him because he was black than people who voted for Clinton because she was a woman. Or more than people who voted for McCain because he was white. Your saying there were none? Or that there were far fewer?
I would say that Hillary wouldn't have gotten the votes she did or become a Senator if she wasn't married to a former President. She benefitted greatly from her celebrity rock star status. Her gender certainly played a role as well.

My point is that race played a huge role in Obama's meteoric rise, particularly in the media and the media treated him much more favorably than they did Hillary. My guess is that if Obama were white, he'd probably be teaching a law school class or be a partner in a law firm right about now.
Old 09-01-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I disagree. I think what Zod is saying is but for Obama's race, he would not have won the Presidency. I think that's true since I think his race is what led to his meteoric rise, which allowed him to beat Hillary. He had the media completely on his side. That doesn't mean that race alone won the election.

Jesse Jackson had numerous characteristics that Obama doesn't have. For example, Jesse Jackson wore his race on his sleeve - everything was racial. Obama didn't really do that, which helped him with whites.
Disagree with what? You just agreed. Obama didn't make race a factor. Yet the voters did?
Old 09-01-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Disagree with what? You just agreed. Obama didn't make race a factor. Yet the voters did?
I disagree with your assertion about Jesse Jackson. I don't think Zod was saying any black man could have run last year and won.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.