Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Old 12-24-13, 02:47 PM
Suspended

Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Cause he quoted some Bible verses about homosexuals.
Those verses are often misinterpreted but you can read for yourself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...src=burger_bar
Old 12-24-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
Old 12-24-13, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
And who exactly assumed that she had?
Old 12-24-13, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's surprising. Most of the people who have been commenting on it have read it cover to cover at least 4 or 5 times.
Old 12-24-13, 04:56 PM
Banned by request

That is how I read every issue of GQ.
Old 12-24-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yet another example of this nit-wit taking a position while being totally ignorant of the facts or specifics or what she's commenting on. Any politician should really be embarrassed to associate themselves with this "know-nothing and proud of it" ex-governor.

This portion from the Slate article sums it up:

"Has no one yet explained to Trixie Klondike that instances like this and Paula Deen getting sh*t-canned by Food Network are not violations of free speech, but rather the free market she and her ilk so claim to love playing itself out. If Obama had thrown Phil Robertson in jail yesterday for being a bigoted as$hole, that would have been a violation of his right to free speech. But a private enterprise in business to make money firing him for saying ass-backwards things because it hampers their brand is NOT A VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH."

Here's Matt Taibbi's take on this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ments-20131219

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-24-13 at 05:33 PM.
Old 12-24-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Yet another example of this nit-wit taking a position while being totally ignorant of the facts or specifics or what she's commenting on. Any politician should really be embarrassed to associate themselves with this "know-nothing and proud of it" ex-governor.

This portion from the Slate article sums it up:

"Has no one yet explained to Trixie Klondike that instances like this and Paula Deen getting sh*t-canned by Food Network are not violations of free speech, but rather the free market she and her ilk so claim to love playing itself out. If Obama had thrown Phil Robertson in jail yesterday for being a bigoted as$hole, that would have been a violation of his right to free speech. But a private enterprise in business to make money firing him for saying ass-backwards things because it hampers their brand is NOT A VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH."

Here's Matt Taibbi's take on this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ments-20131219

Excellent post.
Old 12-27-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
Those verses are often misinterpreted but you can read for yourself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...src=burger_bar
Right... because people who have disdain for the Bible should be trusted to "properly" interpret it.

I read the article. In typical fashion it focuses on knocking down the straw man of an improper interpretation to "prove" that the Bible doesn't say what it actually does say. I can't take that article seriously.

I don't agree with what Phil Robertson said or how he said it. And simply because he "quoted Scripture" doesn't make him right. Rather than repeat it here, here's a link to my blog post on the subject:

Be warned, this is coming from this Christian's perspective...
Speak for Yourself!
Old 12-27-13, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Disdain - that's a strong word. And I think that's the problem with the persecuted Christians in this country. No one has "disdain" for the Bible. I don't have "disdain" for Dianetics or The Book of Mormon or the Quran. Many of us have a skeptical view of the Bible (or any other book) as the word of God. That's not disdain.
Old 12-28-13, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Disdain - that's a strong word. And I think that's the problem with the persecuted Christians in this country. No one has "disdain" for the Bible. I don't have "disdain" for Dianetics or The Book of Mormon or the Quran. Many of us have a skeptical view of the Bible (or any other book) as the word of God. That's not disdain.
No one? You took a poll? Besides, I didn't say "skeptical" I said "disdain". I know what the word means, and I know that there are people who have disdain for the Bible.
Old 12-29-13, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess being curious about current events and reading to learn more is still not "her thing".

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-30-13 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stay classy, Governor Palin
Old 01-21-14, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

God, what world is she living in? If anything, he's gone out of his way in not playing the race card.
Old 01-21-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
God, what world is she living in? If anything, he's gone out of his way in not playing the race card.
A lot of rightwing douchebags have been freaking out over this quote from the lengthy New Yorker profile of President Obama that ran over the weekend:

Thereís no doubt that thereís some folks who just really dislike me because they donít like the idea of a black President.
Of course, said douchebags proceed to ignore the next sentence and claim that Obama is "playing the race card"*:

Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because Iím a black President.
Oh, rightwing douchebags. Don't ever change!

* As an aside, I really hate the term "playing the race card." It's not as if racial relations in America is the wacky new family board game from Milton Bradley, fun for ages 8 to 88.
Old 01-21-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not a fan of the President, but what he said in the interview was truth - some people don't support him because of his race, and some do. But I think the majority of voters out there still hold him to the standard of results that every other President lives under.
Old 01-21-14, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Not a fan of the President, but what he said in the interview was truth - some people don't support him because of his race, and some do. But I think the majority of voters out there still hold him to the standard of results that every other President lives under.
That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins. I also think it says terrible things about America that so many people refused to vote for him simply because of the color of his skin.

But ultimately, I think the great things far outweigh the terrible things, and I also think that whatever it says about America, it says very little about President Obama.
Old 01-21-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins.
Agree with you on those points... I don't laugh at the racist jokes I hear, even in jest. I voted for and really hoped for the best from Obama, but it just hasn't turned out that way...and honestly I think the best thing I can do is treat him the same as I would anyone else - and that is I just don't think he's lived up to the job. The idea of him (the hope if you will) proved to be far greater than the reality... I think that'll be the consensus in the history books. Maybe it'll pave the way for better things or maybe it won't.
Old 01-21-14, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins. I also think it says terrible things about America that so many people refused to vote for him simply because of the color of his skin.
How many people do you think didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color? What proof do you have? If you have evidence that someone would have voted for a Democrat if he had been a white man what is it? Because from all the evidence I've seen just the opposite is true. More whites voted for Obama than they did for white Democrats in previous elections.
Old 01-21-14, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
How many people do you think didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color? What proof do you have? If you have evidence that someone would have voted for a Democrat if he had been a white man what is it? Because from all the evidence I've seen just the opposite is true. More whites voted for Obama than they did for white Democrats in previous elections.
It's probably impossible to quantify how many people didn't vote for Obama because of race, but it's pretty easy to locate where most of them live. The map below shows the parts of the country where McCain did better in 2008 than Bush did in 2004, despite the fact that, overall, Bush got more votes. There's a definite pattern:

Old 01-21-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
It's probably impossible to quantify how many people didn't vote for Obama because of race, but it's pretty easy to locate where most of them live. The map below shows the parts of the country where McCain did better in 2008 than Bush did in 2004, despite the fact that, overall, Bush got more votes. There's a definite pattern:

Is there a similar map showing the difference between Bush's first run in 2000 against 2008? I would think that would be a more accurate comparison.
Old 01-21-14, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there a similar map showing the difference between Bush's first run in 2000 against 2008? I would think that would be a more accurate comparison.
Why?
Old 01-21-14, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stay classy, Governor Palin
Wow, she almost made it. Classy picture, actual quote. If she could just put the passive-aggressive nonsense away for "literally" five minutes...
Old 01-21-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure about that, but http://www.270towin.com/ has an interactive featuure where you can track red-state.blue state over time. Start with 2012 and works backwards. to see how the blue states have been gaining an edge since 2000. It goes back pretty far, but remember that before 2000 they switched the read and blue between parties each cycle.
Old 01-21-14, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Using the term "race card" in relation to MLK in any form is crass and fucking idiotic.
Old 01-21-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why?
Because the circumstances were more similar. No incumbent running and following 8 years of the same president.

It's just I'm tired of hearing the same bullshit from people. The accusations of racism. People who have never voted Democrat before (or who have damn good reasons for not wanting to this time) being told that the reason they didn't was because of his skin color. I hear it almost weekly at work. Three black deputies on my team have become almost militant about it. Any criticism of Obama or his administration is quickly and loudly denounced as racism. Of course you are required to ignore that all three (all former military) have never voted for a democrat in their entire adult lives until Obama.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.