Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Old 12-24-13, 02:47 PM
  #51  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,323
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Cause he quoted some Bible verses about homosexuals.
Those verses are often misinterpreted but you can read for yourself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...src=burger_bar
PenguinJoe is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 02:54 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,829
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 04:37 PM
  #53  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,029
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
And who exactly assumed that she had?
Jason is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 04:54 PM
  #54  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,419
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
That's surprising. Most of the people who have been commenting on it have read it cover to cover at least 4 or 5 times.
JasonF is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 04:56 PM
  #55  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

That is how I read every issue of GQ.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 05:15 PM
  #56  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 5,049
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Sarah Palin has admitted that she hasn't even read the article in GQ that is causing all of the controversy.
Yet another example of this nit-wit taking a position while being totally ignorant of the facts or specifics or what she's commenting on. Any politician should really be embarrassed to associate themselves with this "know-nothing and proud of it" ex-governor.

This portion from the Slate article sums it up:

"Has no one yet explained to Trixie Klondike that instances like this and Paula Deen getting sh*t-canned by Food Network are not violations of free speech, but rather the free market she and her ilk so claim to love playing itself out. If Obama had thrown Phil Robertson in jail yesterday for being a bigoted as$hole, that would have been a violation of his right to free speech. But a private enterprise in business to make money firing him for saying ass-backwards things because it hampers their brand is NOT A VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH."

Here's Matt Taibbi's take on this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ments-20131219

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-24-13 at 05:33 PM.
Jack Straw is offline  
Old 12-24-13, 07:49 PM
  #57  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 30,177
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Yet another example of this nit-wit taking a position while being totally ignorant of the facts or specifics or what she's commenting on. Any politician should really be embarrassed to associate themselves with this "know-nothing and proud of it" ex-governor.

This portion from the Slate article sums it up:

"Has no one yet explained to Trixie Klondike that instances like this and Paula Deen getting sh*t-canned by Food Network are not violations of free speech, but rather the free market she and her ilk so claim to love playing itself out. If Obama had thrown Phil Robertson in jail yesterday for being a bigoted as$hole, that would have been a violation of his right to free speech. But a private enterprise in business to make money firing him for saying ass-backwards things because it hampers their brand is NOT A VIOLATION OF FREE SPEECH."

Here's Matt Taibbi's take on this:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ments-20131219

Excellent post.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 12-27-13, 09:26 AM
  #58  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,788
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe View Post
Those verses are often misinterpreted but you can read for yourself.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...src=burger_bar
Right... because people who have disdain for the Bible should be trusted to "properly" interpret it.

I read the article. In typical fashion it focuses on knocking down the straw man of an improper interpretation to "prove" that the Bible doesn't say what it actually does say. I can't take that article seriously.

I don't agree with what Phil Robertson said or how he said it. And simply because he "quoted Scripture" doesn't make him right. Rather than repeat it here, here's a link to my blog post on the subject:

Be warned, this is coming from this Christian's perspective...
Speak for Yourself!
sracer is offline  
Old 12-27-13, 11:19 AM
  #59  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Disdain - that's a strong word. And I think that's the problem with the persecuted Christians in this country. No one has "disdain" for the Bible. I don't have "disdain" for Dianetics or The Book of Mormon or the Quran. Many of us have a skeptical view of the Bible (or any other book) as the word of God. That's not disdain.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 12-28-13, 03:34 PM
  #60  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,788
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Disdain - that's a strong word. And I think that's the problem with the persecuted Christians in this country. No one has "disdain" for the Bible. I don't have "disdain" for Dianetics or The Book of Mormon or the Quran. Many of us have a skeptical view of the Bible (or any other book) as the word of God. That's not disdain.
No one? You took a poll? Besides, I didn't say "skeptical" I said "disdain". I know what the word means, and I know that there are people who have disdain for the Bible.
sracer is offline  
Old 12-29-13, 04:33 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Jack Straw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: So. Calif.
Posts: 5,049
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

I guess being curious about current events and reading to learn more is still not "her thing".

Last edited by Jack Straw; 12-30-13 at 08:12 PM.
Jack Straw is offline  
Old 01-20-14, 09:17 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,419
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Stay classy, Governor Palin
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 12:04 AM
  #63  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,631
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

God, what world is she living in? If anything, he's gone out of his way in not playing the race card.
slop101 is online now  
Old 01-21-14, 12:29 AM
  #64  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,419
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
God, what world is she living in? If anything, he's gone out of his way in not playing the race card.
A lot of rightwing douchebags have been freaking out over this quote from the lengthy New Yorker profile of President Obama that ran over the weekend:

Thereís no doubt that thereís some folks who just really dislike me because they donít like the idea of a black President.
Of course, said douchebags proceed to ignore the next sentence and claim that Obama is "playing the race card"*:

Now, the flip side of it is there are some black folks and maybe some white folks who really like me and give me the benefit of the doubt precisely because Iím a black President.
Oh, rightwing douchebags. Don't ever change!

* As an aside, I really hate the term "playing the race card." It's not as if racial relations in America is the wacky new family board game from Milton Bradley, fun for ages 8 to 88.
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 12:31 AM
  #65  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,508
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Not a fan of the President, but what he said in the interview was truth - some people don't support him because of his race, and some do. But I think the majority of voters out there still hold him to the standard of results that every other President lives under.
Artman is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 12:38 AM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,419
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
Not a fan of the President, but what he said in the interview was truth - some people don't support him because of his race, and some do. But I think the majority of voters out there still hold him to the standard of results that every other President lives under.
That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins. I also think it says terrible things about America that so many people refused to vote for him simply because of the color of his skin.

But ultimately, I think the great things far outweigh the terrible things, and I also think that whatever it says about America, it says very little about President Obama.
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 12:53 AM
  #67  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,508
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins.
Agree with you on those points... I don't laugh at the racist jokes I hear, even in jest. I voted for and really hoped for the best from Obama, but it just hasn't turned out that way...and honestly I think the best thing I can do is treat him the same as I would anyone else - and that is I just don't think he's lived up to the job. The idea of him (the hope if you will) proved to be far greater than the reality... I think that'll be the consensus in the history books. Maybe it'll pave the way for better things or maybe it won't.
Artman is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 03:52 AM
  #68  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
That's the way it should be. I think it says great things about America that we were able to elect a black man to the White House less than 50 years after the Freedom Rides and the Greensboro sit-ins. I also think it says terrible things about America that so many people refused to vote for him simply because of the color of his skin.
How many people do you think didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color? What proof do you have? If you have evidence that someone would have voted for a Democrat if he had been a white man what is it? Because from all the evidence I've seen just the opposite is true. More whites voted for Obama than they did for white Democrats in previous elections.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 06:51 AM
  #69  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,601
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
How many people do you think didn't vote for Obama because of his skin color? What proof do you have? If you have evidence that someone would have voted for a Democrat if he had been a white man what is it? Because from all the evidence I've seen just the opposite is true. More whites voted for Obama than they did for white Democrats in previous elections.
It's probably impossible to quantify how many people didn't vote for Obama because of race, but it's pretty easy to locate where most of them live. The map below shows the parts of the country where McCain did better in 2008 than Bush did in 2004, despite the fact that, overall, Bush got more votes. There's a definite pattern:

wendersfan is online now  
Old 01-21-14, 06:58 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
It's probably impossible to quantify how many people didn't vote for Obama because of race, but it's pretty easy to locate where most of them live. The map below shows the parts of the country where McCain did better in 2008 than Bush did in 2004, despite the fact that, overall, Bush got more votes. There's a definite pattern:

Is there a similar map showing the difference between Bush's first run in 2000 against 2008? I would think that would be a more accurate comparison.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 07:13 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,419
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Is there a similar map showing the difference between Bush's first run in 2000 against 2008? I would think that would be a more accurate comparison.
Why?
JasonF is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 07:19 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,029
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Stay classy, Governor Palin
Wow, she almost made it. Classy picture, actual quote. If she could just put the passive-aggressive nonsense away for "literally" five minutes...
Jason is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 07:26 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,029
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Is there a similar map showing the difference between Bush's first run in 2000 against 2008? I would think that would be a more accurate comparison.
Not sure about that, but http://www.270towin.com/ has an interactive featuure where you can track red-state.blue state over time. Start with 2012 and works backwards. to see how the blue states have been gaining an edge since 2000. It goes back pretty far, but remember that before 2000 they switched the read and blue between parties each cycle.
Jason is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 07:26 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Using the term "race card" in relation to MLK in any form is crass and fucking idiotic.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 01-21-14, 07:27 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: The Re-Elect President Sarah Palin 2016 Thread

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Why?
Because the circumstances were more similar. No incumbent running and following 8 years of the same president.

It's just I'm tired of hearing the same bullshit from people. The accusations of racism. People who have never voted Democrat before (or who have damn good reasons for not wanting to this time) being told that the reason they didn't was because of his skin color. I hear it almost weekly at work. Three black deputies on my team have become almost militant about it. Any criticism of Obama or his administration is quickly and loudly denounced as racism. Of course you are required to ignore that all three (all former military) have never voted for a democrat in their entire adult lives until Obama.
DeputyDave is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.