Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Joe Biden presents: stupid political soundbites

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-16-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I came across a stupid political soundbite and I didn't have anywhere else to put it, so I thought I'd put it here. There's no actual Joe Biden content in my soundbite, but I have no doubt he'll dominate this thread, so I've gone ahead and named it in his honor.

Anyway, this is from this past summer, but since it involves a discussion of George Washington, I just ran across it today -- Happy Birthday (observed), Mr. President. The clip is from a debate that took place when the Republicans were having a primary to figure out who would be their candidate for Missouri's 9th Congressional District. Each of the candidates were asked to name their favorite founding father.

Brock Olivo came out with Abraham Lincoln, which held the record as the dumbest answer to the question "Who is your favorite founding father" for roughly three and a half minutes.

Blaine Luetkemeyer offered George Washington, a safe but not unreasonable pick.

Bob Onder cheated -- he named Washington, Adams, and Jefferson.

And then along comes Judy Baker, who proudly tells the moderator that she wrote down her answer on her notes, so you know she's committed to her favorite founding father: Ronald Reagan.

Ronald Reagan! As a founding father! And this woman thought she was qualified for public office!

Mr. Luetkemeyer wound up winning the primary, by the way, and is now serving in Congress as the Representative from Missouri's 9th district. Judy Baker has gone back to her day job, which I can only hope is not as a history teacher.

Old 02-17-09, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts
Re: Joe Biden presents: stupid political soundbites

He was pretty old when elected.
Old 02-17-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There's no actual Joe Biden content in my soundbite
Is there any actual Joe Biden content anywhere?
Old 02-18-09, 01:31 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how old is this? i'm guessing early 90s
Old 02-18-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs View Post
how old is this? i'm guessing early 90s
It's from this past summer.
Old 04-30-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Biden would avoid subways, planes after swine flu outbreak

Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would not recommend taking any commercial flight or riding in a subway car "at this point" because swine flu virus can spread "in confined places." A little more than one hour later, Biden rushed out a statement backing off.

"I would tell members of my family - and I have - I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now," Biden said on NBC's "Today" show.. "It's not that it's going to Mexico. It's you're in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. …

"So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you're out in the middle of a field when someone sneezes, that's one thing. If you're in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it's a different thing."

That contradicted more restrained advice from President Barack Obama and the federal government - and the last thing the White House wants to do right now is shut down the airline industry and big city subways out of mass panic.

The White House quickly arranged for Biden to make this statement through a spokesperson.

"On the Today Show this morning the Vice President was asked what he would tell a family member who was considering air travel to Mexico this week. The advice he is giving family members is the same advice the Administration is giving to all Americans: that they should avoid unnecessary air travel to and from Mexico. If they are sick, they should avoid airplanes and other confined public spaces, such as subways. This is the advice the Vice President has given family members who are traveling by commercial airline this week. As the President said just last night, every American should take the same steps you would take to prevent any other flu: keep your hands washed; cover your mouth when you cough; stay home from work if you're sick; and keep your children home from school if they're sick."

Host Matt Lauer had asked the vice president: "This is by no means a ‘gotcha' type of question. … But if a member of your family came to you … and said, ‘Look, I want to go on a commercial airliner to Mexico, and back within the next week,' would you think it's a good idea?" Biden made it unmistakably clear he would not want his family make any trips on planes or subways.

To keep from getting sick, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends: "Try to avoid close contact with sick people. If you get sick with influenza, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them."

Obama said at his news conference on Wednesday night that "individual families [need to] start taking very sensible precautions —that can make a huge difference.

"So wash your hands when you shake hands," he advised. "Cover your mouth when you cough. I know it sounds trivial, but it makes a huge difference. If you are sick, stay home. If your child is sick, keep them out of school.

"If you are feeling certain flu symptoms, don't get on an airplane, don't get on any system of public transportation where you're confined and you could potentially spread the virus. So those are the steps that I think we need to take right now. But understand that because this is a new strain. We have to be cautious."
http://www.reuters.com/article/joeBi...53T43O20090430

"You have nothing to worry about from Swine Flu, as long as you stay outdoors!"

Oh, Joe!
Old 04-30-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

After hearing what he said, my first thought was why isn't Obama keeping Joe in a confined place on a permanent basis.
Old 04-30-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk God

I couldn't believe he said what he did.

Obama ought to slap him.

It's going to be interesting to see how Joe (or the WH) backtracks from this.
Old 04-30-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

"This is by no means a ‘gotcha' type of question. … But..."
When it is prefaced like that of course it is a gotcha type of question. C'mon Matt...
Old 04-30-09, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

I understand why Joe said it. He & I are of the age group that have to fear it more than the young whippersnappers.
Old 04-30-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/joeBi...53T43O20090430

"You have nothing to worry about from Swine Flu, as long as you stay outdoors!"

Oh, Joe!
Perhaps he should just wander aimlessly around the Naval Observatory grounds.

American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith declined to comment directly on the vice president's remarks, but said, "To suggest that people not fly at this stage of things is a broad brush stroke bordering on fear mongering."
Wonder if he is short airline stocks?
Old 04-30-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But...

The 16th is neither the British calender date of his birth - Feb 11th, nor is it the adjusted calender's date of Feb 22nd.

So why the hell is the 16th the official celebration date?

Anyone?
Old 04-30-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk God

The White House says Biden was 'imprecise' in his statement about the swine flu.
Old 04-30-09, 10:10 AM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Thank God the domestic audience is primarily the only one subjected to Biden's idiocy. He could have been Secretary of State you know.
Old 04-30-09, 10:13 AM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

Oh woe is Joe.
Old 04-30-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best part of all of Biden's gaffes is that he's never talking like he's confused, or unsure of himself---he puts them out there with complete confidence, as if he's relaying matter-of-fact, common-sense advice that no one could possibly disagree with.
Old 04-30-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

<div><iframe height="339" width="425" src="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001/vp/30494440#30494440" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe><p style="font-size:11px; font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #999; margin-top: 5px; background: transparent; text-align: center; width: 425px;">Visit msnbc.com for <a style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com">Breaking News</a>, <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">World News</a>, and <a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032072" style="text-decoration:none !important; border-bottom: 1px dotted #999 !important; font-weight:normal !important; height: 13px; color:#5799DB !important;">News about the Economy</a></p></div>
Old 04-30-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 132 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
The White House says Biden was 'imprecise' in his statement about the swine flu.
Well duh, that's because it is H1N1 flu and not "swine flu."
Old 04-30-09, 11:32 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
The best part of all of Biden's gaffes is that he's never talking like he's confused, or unsure of himself---he puts them out there with complete confidence, as if he's relaying matter-of-fact, common-sense advice that no one could possibly disagree with.
I absolutely agree. And after thinking about it a little I realized that that can be said about a lot of the posters in this forum as well.
Old 04-30-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My favorite aspect of Biden's blunders is that the same people that have been apologists for Bush for 8 years, "Oh, he's a straight shooter!", "Oh, he talks like a real person", etc., now pick apart every faux pas of Biden's and condemn him as if he's unfit for public life. I can't help it, I just love hypocrisy.
Old 04-30-09, 11:41 AM
X
Administrator

The difference is that Bush mangled the language, not the underlying ideas. Biden is very good with the language, but his thinking doesn't work so good.
Old 04-30-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Biden likes to hear himself talk. There are quite a few politicians with that problem. He just tends to make 'mistakes' more often than some others do.

I think it's refreshing at times.

As I've said before - he's a great story teller.
Old 04-30-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorite Bush bit will always be:

"There's a saying in Tennessee, 'Fool me once.....shame on you,.............fool me..................can't get fooled again.'"

I think Will Ferrel captured Bush perfectly, where you can see his internal struggle to come out with the right words, where the gears are grinding, as the thoughts struggle to get from his mind to his mouth. But with Biden, there's no struggle---the machine is working perfectly.
Old 04-30-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
I absolutely agree. And after thinking about it a little I realized that that can be said about a lot of the posters in this forum as well.
Old 04-30-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
But...

The 16th is neither the British calender date of his birth - Feb 11th, nor is it the adjusted calender's date of Feb 22nd.

So why the hell is the 16th the official celebration date?

Anyone?
Washington's Birthday is observed on the third Monday in February. This year, that happened to be February 16.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.