Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Joe Biden presents: stupid political soundbites

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Joe Biden presents: stupid political soundbites

Old 11-14-16, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Joe Biden presents: stupid political soundbites

We may be losing Joe, but have no fear, Newt is more than up to the challenge of replacing him.

Face the Nation' host John Dickerson pushed Gingrich on what it means for a Trump administration that Bannon, who has been accused of racist and anti-Semitism in the past, has landed in the White House. Gingrich took issue with the question, insisting that Bannon has been "smeared" by the left and that Bannon's past credentials prove he is not anti-Semitic.

"He was a managing partner of Goldman Sachs. He was a Hollywood movie producer. The idea that somehow he represents -- I had never heard of the alt-right until the nut cakes started writing about it," Gingrich told Dickerson. In his commnents, Gingrich echoed Jewish stereotypes, which in the past have been used by the alt-right and anti-Semites to imply Jews "control Wall Street, Hollywood the global economy."
Old 11-14-16, 06:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Huh? Not only is that not even approaching "Bidden Level", I don't even understand it.
Old 11-14-16, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Huh? Not only is that not even approaching "Bidden Level", I don't even understand it.
His proof that Bannon's not antisemitic is that Bannon worked in fields that antisemites believe are run by Jews.
Old 11-14-16, 08:55 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Old 11-15-16, 02:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
His proof that Bannon's not antisemitic is that Bannon worked in fields that antisemites believe are run by Jews.
Let's discuss double standards for a moment, shall we?

David Corn, liberal Clinton & Obama apologist & editor-in-chief of Mother Jones, just a couple of days ago accused Trump of "dog whistle" references when he mentioned something about international bankers...because, in Corn's views, "international bankers" is obviously "code words" for Jews. Does that make Corn...who is Jewish...an "antisemite?"

It seems disingenuous for "progressives" to complain about "stereotypes" which are based upon reality and which are often referenced by Jewish comedians & celebrities (any history of Hollywood entertainment objectively acknowledges the ground-floor influence of Jewish studio moguls in Hollywood). But it shows the futility of Gingrich's allowing himself to fall into the trap of beginning reflectively defensive rather than demanding that accusers present actual, factual proof that Bannon is racist...something more than statements made by an ex-wife during a highly-contentious divorce case. Gingrich just served himself up for criticism with his silly statement (stereotypes...justified or not...aside, his statement wouldn't prove anything except that even racists can be opportunists who can work with people they dislike).

If it can be proved that Bannon is a racist, then it is a gross mistake to put him in the White House (just as it was a mistake of Clinton I to utilize top advisors/surrogates such as "Drag a hundred dollah bill through a trailer park..." misogynist James Carville). Obama was smeared for supposed ties to racist preachers and violent radicals (and associations with shameless liars such as Sen. Reid). If Bannon's history has actual proof that disqualifies him, Trump should let him go just as he did with Christie over his baggage.

Much more troubling for Americans should be the reports of in-fighting, disorganized chaos, and failure to grasp the immensity of the job among the Trump transition team. For the good of the country, Obama's administration should do all it can to ensure a helpful transition of office just as Bush did for his incoming administration.

10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. Hebrews 10:10

Last edited by creekdipper; 11-15-16 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-15-16, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Let's discuss double standards for a moment, shall we?

David Corn, liberal Clinton & Obama apologist & editor-in-chief of Mother Jones, just a couple of days ago accused Trump of "dog whistle" references when he mentioned something about international bankers...because, in Corn's views, "international bankers" is obviously "code words" for Jews. Does that make Corn...who is Jewish...an "antisemite?"
No. Corn's saying the exact same thing I am. Using racist code words and recognizing them are two totally different things.
Old 11-15-16, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I will admit that I almost never recognize code words for that kind of stuff.
Old 11-15-16, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
No. Corn's saying the exact same thing I am. Using racist code words and recognizing them are two totally different things.
So, when a pro-life person hears "women's health" and recognizes that as "abortion," you accept that as valid?

And what if the pro-life person expands that "recognition" and labels the view to be "anti-child" or "misanthropic" due to the destruction of individuals?

Isn't this a matter of "eye of the beholder?" Or is there a mutually-agreed-upon handbook of code words & dog whistles?

A short time ago, I posted my interpretation of what a person had said (based exclusively on the exact words said) and you told me to "quit lying." And then proceeded to offer your own interpretation of what was meant (but not said).

Have we reached the point in which we cannot hold different views without accusing the other side of "lying?" Are OUR opinions the only valid ones in that everyone "believes" the same thing but some "lie" about it (i.e., if you don't believe what I believe, that automatically makes you a "liar" because I know that, deep down, you actually agree with me)? How is that helpful in furthering understanding and promoting tolerance?

I'm not arguing with your premise that recognizing stereotyped language is not the same as accepting it, but I also submit that there are lots of statements on all sides of issues that could easily be labeled as "dog whistles" if one wants to see them as such. And I heard several Trump supporters get worked up over the constant accusations against them of being called "racists" for wanting to deport people here illegally. Writing Trump supporters off as "dogs" responding to Pavlov's call is as offensive (and patently incorrect in its oversimplification) as implying the same about minorities who "vote for handouts" as a bloc.

If there is ever any hope for healing divisions, one place to start is to stop looking for "dog whistles," "code words," and boogeymen in every closet. Or at least to acknowledge that all sides are guilty of looking for ways to scapegoat opponents and excuse sympathizers. Philosophically removing the hyphenated phrases before "Americans" might be a good place to start, although it is valid to address specific problems that effect specific groups. The trick is to find the balance of when it is appropriate to address real issues as opposed to looking to live in a perpetual state of grievances with no end.

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28
Old 11-15-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Not to be flippant, but why would you? They aren't directed at people like you (and me, for that matter).
Old 11-15-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Here's an easy one, in 2008 & 2012 conservatives referring to the president as Barack Hussien Obama. Does anyone know off the top of their heads Mitt Romney or John McCain's middle name?
Old 11-15-16, 11:05 AM

Received 360 Likes on 262 Posts

My favorite dog whistle was about Obama playing golf. According to MSNBC, mentioning golf makes people think about a black man cheating on his wife (Tiger Woods).

Another good one was saying that Obama was from Chicago. Apparently, when people hear Chicago, they think of poor black people living in ghettos. That one's also from MSNBC.
Old 11-15-16, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Here's an easy one, in 2008 & 2012 conservatives referring to the president as Barack Hussien Obama. Does anyone know off the top of their heads Mitt Romney or John McCain's middle name?
"Binders" and "Condos"?

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. Ephesians 6:14-15
Old 11-15-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an easy one, in 2008 & 2012 conservatives referring to the president as Barack Hussien Obama. Does anyone know off the top of their heads Mitt Romney['s]... middle name?
I didn't know it off the top of my head but "Mitt" is Romney's middle name.
Old 11-15-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 131 Likes on 89 Posts

Old 11-15-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Not to be flippant, but why would you? They aren't directed at people like you (and me, for that matter).
Agreed. But then people get bent out of shape that others aren't up in arms about things that they don't recognize. It's like being morally one upped by social justice warriors or something. Oh, you didn't know a poorly drawn frog is a symbol of white pride? Well it is now, so be offended.

It's like how everyone is saying everything is obviously racist, but even you and I don't recognize them much, and we're pretty left of center.
Old 11-15-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Agreed. But then people get bent out of shape that others aren't up in arms about things that they don't recognize.
I think they get more bent out of shape when those who it doesn't affect try to become the deciders of what others should or shouldn't be offended by.
Old 11-15-16, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Ah. Likely true. Thanks.
Old 11-15-16, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

I think they get more bent out of shape when those who it doesn't affect try to become the deciders of what others should or shouldn't be offended by.
Exactly. I take that kind of thing as information and file it away. Others immediately object and say that people shouldn't be offended by those things. It's never my place to decide what others are allowed to be offended by.
Old 11-15-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 202 Posts

"Young Joe Biden" has become a bit of meme, and it's got women swooning.

Old 11-15-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
My favorite dog whistle was about Obama playing golf. According to MSNBC, mentioning golf makes people think about a black man cheating on his wife (Tiger Woods).

Another good one was saying that Obama was from Chicago. Apparently, when people hear Chicago, they think of poor black people living in ghettos. That one's also from MSNBC.
I didn't think the golf thing had a hidden meaning--that's one thing that the other party always does, whine about how much golf the other guy is playing.

The Chicago references I figure were meant to imply he was crooked since Chicago has a (mostly deserved) rep for very dirty politics.
Old 11-15-16, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 284 Likes on 202 Posts

Another anti-Obama dog whistle has been his trips abroad. Forget the fact that every president does this, but when he makes diplomatic visits to other countries, it's somehow a vacation. Him leaving for Greece and other countries just this week was already derided by some as him not working anymore since his term is almost up.
Old 11-16-16, 03:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
"Young Joe Biden" has become a bit of meme, and it's got women swooning.

He was pretty good in Neighbors & the Now You See Me flicks.

5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 2 Peter 1:5-7
Old 06-16-17, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Not a sound bite but...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">It was just a regular selfie until Joe Biden puckered up: <a href="https://t.co/k6p3dtagyf">https://t.co/k6p3dtagyf</a> <a href="https://t.co/1GaMbVrgDQ">pic.twitter.com/1GaMbVrgDQ</a></p>&mdash; MSNBC (@MSNBC) <a href="https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/875782626048708608">June 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Biden surprises grad with kiss on the cheek during selfie video <a href="https://t.co/8YMK6erS7i">https://t.co/8YMK6erS7i</a> <a href="https://t.co/VCFbah6xHP">pic.twitter.com/VCFbah6xHP</a></p>&mdash; The Hill (@thehill) <a href="https://twitter.com/thehill/status/875740524711477250">June 16, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 03-22-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Biden talking about Trump's comments about grabbing women's genitals.

"If were were in high school I'd take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him."

"Any guy that talked that way was usually the fattest, ugliest SOB in the room, for real."

Good idea stereotyping the unattractive and overweight as sexually vulgar and/or sexual predators.
Because good looking and in-shape guys never talk or act that way.

It's also ridiculous having this elderly politician talking about If I was 15 years old I'd have totally kicked his ass!

Last edited by brayzie; 03-22-18 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-22-18, 09:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 353 Likes on 243 Posts

I love how people are painting this as Biden being the bad guy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.