Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Facts about Joe the plumber

Old 10-17-08, 08:09 AM
  #26  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,774
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Then why is he doing the radio and tv interviews.
I like how's he's done more in 2 days than Palin has done in six weeks.
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:13 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: H-Town, TX
Posts: 3,662
So let me get this straight. Because Joe had the audacity to ask Obama a question about his tax policy when he was approached on his front lawn, because Obama chose to stand there for 5 1/2 minutes explaining his plans to "spread the wealth around", and because the media chose to air the footage of this encounter, that justifies digging up every aspect of this man's life in order to discredit him as if he were the one running for public office?

Where exactly is this going to end? In just the last month and a half, I've seen people defend the smearing of Sarah Palin's husband, daughter, and newborn son who has Down Syndrome. I've seen "truth squads" deployed to Missouri to threaten anyone who makes any statement about Obama interpreted by his campaign as untrue or misleading. I've seen TV stations threatened with repercussions if they choose to run 527 ads from the NRA. I've seen the Obama campaign e-mail its supporters urging them to flood a WGN radio station with calls in order to protest the booking of a conservative writer as a talk show guest. And now I'm witnessing the smearing of a private citizen whose only "crime" as I see it is asking a Presidential candidate a hypothetical question.

And all this is BEFORE Obama is even in the Oval Office. Imagine him and his supporters with the full power of the government at their disposal. This is truly dangerous territory we're entering. The kind of stuff Orwell and Rand wrote about. And what scares me more than anything is that many people appear to be cheering it on.
Doughboy is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:15 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I believe I've given my age a few times. Those who know me here, know what it is. But this thread is not about me, it's about America.

As far as being an Obama Llama, I know it will be difficult for you to pull the lever for Barack in November, but I have full confidence in you as a good Democrat to do the right thing for your party c-man.

If I thought that Jesse Jackson was correct about what Obama planned to do about Israel, I wouldn't vote for him.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:16 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Sierra Disc View Post
Not a McCain fan, not voting for him, and this guy Joe's politics are way to the right of mine I'm sure but still.... he doesnt' really deserve all this attention and feeding frenzy. he's not running for office. He's just an "average Joe" who got turned into a political football (far more so by McCain than Obama, I might add). It's nasty and unpleasant to see him suddenly dissected alive like this.
Actually, Joe the Plumber decided to confront Obama in front of a camera. And it seems like he did it while making things up.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:17 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Poor Joe, he had a moment of gotcha with a presidential candidate. Now they will spend the next few weeks tearing him apart.
The clip seems to be a gotcha the other way around, if you ask me.



Joe is talking out of his ass.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:18 AM
  #31  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,774
I agree with Doughboy. When one campaign smears another, they should just take it!
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:19 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I said Joe the Plumber with 2 threads. The Obama camp is getting desperate. Or it is "cocky?"
It was funnier the second time.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:20 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Nothing he told Obama was truthful.
so what?

Did Obama know this guy was full of shit when he spoke to him? Obama, at the time, had no reason to doubt this man and had no reason to lie to him. The story isn't Joe the Plumber. The story is Obama's response to Joe the Plumber, that wealth redistribution is something he supports.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 10-17-08 at 08:22 AM.
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:23 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
that wealth redistribution is something he supports.
This is a revelation?

OMG!!! We have a progressive tax system!!!!

No the story is this stooge making an ass out of himself.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:25 AM
  #35  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,774
I should be pointed out that McCain's plan also incorporates progressive taxation. Where are all the threads calling him a socialist?
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:27 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
'I should be pointed out...................;
classicman2 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:29 AM
  #37  
Moderator
 
TheBigDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 10,549
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
Where exactly is this going to end? In just the last month and a half, I've seen people defend the smearing of Sarah Palin's husband, daughter, and newborn son who has Down Syndrome. I've seen "truth squads" deployed to Missouri to threaten anyone who makes any statement about Obama interpreted by his campaign as untrue or misleading. I've seen TV stations threatened with repercussions if they choose to run 527 ads from the NRA. I've seen the Obama campaign e-mail its supporters urging them to flood a WGN radio station with calls in order to protest the booking of a conservative writer as a talk show guest. And now I'm witnessing the smearing of a private citizen whose only "crime" as I see it is asking a Presidential candidate a hypothetical question.
Barack Obama has brought "Chicago politics" to the national stage. Apparently it's "the change we need".
TheBigDave is online now  
Old 10-17-08, 08:32 AM
  #38  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,774
Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
'I should be pointed out...................;
Well, I should.
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:36 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,571
Originally Posted by Doughboy View Post
So let me get this straight. Because Joe had the audacity to ask Obama a question about his tax policy when he was approached on his front lawn, because Obama chose to stand there for 5 1/2 minutes explaining his plans to "spread the wealth around", and because the media chose to air the footage of this encounter, that justifies digging up every aspect of this man's life in order to discredit him as if he were the one running for public office?

Where exactly is this going to end? In just the last month and a half, I've seen people defend the smearing of Sarah Palin's husband, daughter, and newborn son who has Down Syndrome. I've seen "truth squads" deployed to Missouri to threaten anyone who makes any statement about Obama interpreted by his campaign as untrue or misleading. I've seen TV stations threatened with repercussions if they choose to run 527 ads from the NRA. I've seen the Obama campaign e-mail its supporters urging them to flood a WGN radio station with calls in order to protest the booking of a conservative writer as a talk show guest. And now I'm witnessing the smearing of a private citizen whose only "crime" as I see it is asking a Presidential candidate a hypothetical question.

And all this is BEFORE Obama is even in the Oval Office. Imagine him and his supporters with the full power of the government at their disposal. This is truly dangerous territory we're entering. The kind of stuff Orwell and Rand wrote about. And what scares me more than anything is that many people appear to be cheering it on.
Joe was a youtube-of-the-day with a few thousand views. It was McCain who had the 'audacity' to use him as a campaign prop. Predictably, like most of McCain's campaign, it turned to shit. McCain could have used a hypothetical if he felt like it, but instead he chose to use a real person's 'story' so he could take a cheap shot at Obama. The same way you just used your 'defense' of Joe as another attempt to slam him. Blaming Obama or his supporters for what's coming Joe's way is rich, since Joe was used by McCain to discredit Obama.

I agree, the media and some blogs have gone a little far with this Joe thing. I don't particularly care too much. But in the context of McCain/Palin's pathological lying evasiveness throughout this campaign, it's hardly surprising.
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:38 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This is a revelation?

OMG!!! We have a progressive tax system!!!!

No the story is this stooge making an ass out of himself.
then why the need to discredit the man?

If Obama's response was so perfect, why are they deflecting attention away from it?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:40 AM
  #41  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,774
It was never about Obama's response. It was about McCain's use of the guy as a campaign prop.
Groucho is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:40 AM
  #42  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
They are just pointing out that he's a fraud. I don't see a problem with that.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:42 AM
  #43  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
They are just pointing out that he's a fraud. I don't see a problem with that.
but why does that matter?
RoyalTea is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:42 AM
  #44  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Brent L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Upstate, SC
Posts: 13,617
I don't think any of this should matter at all. Sure, it's all weird if not rotten of "Joe", but he's not running for public office. What should matter, and where the focus should be, is on what Obama said. He didn't know anything about "Joe the Plumber", so all he knew everything he told him was totally the truth.

The only reason the media is focusing on Joe, is to overshadow the garbage that Barack Obama himself said. This is an election season, picking the president of the United States, so the focus should be on what Barack Obama said, not on what someone else said to him, someone who isn't technically involved in the race at all, and has no bearing on national interests. All he did was set the stage for a political candidate to speak his views, that's all.
Brent L is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:44 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I don't think any of this should matter at all. Sure, it's all weird if not rotten of "Joe", but he's not running for public office. What should matter, and where the focus should be, is on what Obama said. He didn't know anything about "Joe the Plumber", so all he knew everything he told him was totally the truth.

The only reason the media is focusing on Joe, is to overshadow the garbage that Barack Obama himself said. This is an election season, picking the president of the United States, so the focus should be on what Barack Obama said, not on what someone else said to him, someone who isn't technically involved in the race at all, and has no bearing on national interests. All he did was set the stage for a political candidate to speak his views, that's all.

classicman2 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:53 AM
  #46  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,335
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
The only reason the media is focusing on Joe, is to overshadow the garbage that Barack Obama himself said.
In the 2 minute clip that CRM114 posted, it looks like Obama answers the man's question pretty fairly. Is there a longer version that we're not seeing?
VinVega is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:53 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,726
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I don't think any of this should matter at all. Sure, it's all weird if not rotten of "Joe", but he's not running for public office. What should matter, and where the focus should be, is on what Obama said. He didn't know anything about "Joe the Plumber", so all he knew everything he told him was totally the truth.

The only reason the media is focusing on Joe, is to overshadow the garbage that Barack Obama himself said. This is an election season, picking the president of the United States, so the focus should be on what Barack Obama said, not on what someone else said to him, someone who isn't technically involved in the race at all, and has no bearing on national interests. All he did was set the stage for a political candidate to speak his views, that's all.

Well said.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:55 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
but why does that matter?
Because he made up a story in front of cameras to make Obama look like a fool. It backfired.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:58 AM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
I don't think any of this should matter at all. Sure, it's all weird if not rotten of "Joe", but he's not running for public office. What should matter, and where the focus should be, is on what Obama said. He didn't know anything about "Joe the Plumber", so all he knew everything he told him was totally the truth.

The only reason the media is focusing on Joe, is to overshadow the garbage that Barack Obama himself said. This is an election season, picking the president of the United States, so the focus should be on what Barack Obama said, not on what someone else said to him, someone who isn't technically involved in the race at all, and has no bearing on national interests. All he did was set the stage for a political candidate to speak his views, that's all.
People did listen to what Obama said and he described the tax system we've had for decades. The only ones aghast are those on Fox News.

It's comical to see everyone up in arms over this "redistribution" of $900 of Joe's money.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 10-17-08, 08:58 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: frass canyon
Posts: 16,249
Hypothetical:

Suppose some 45 year old woman approaches John McCain and asks him why he thinks her 20 year old son should be asked to fight in a war in the Persian Gulf. Suppose McCain's response seems condescending and dismissive of this woman's concerns. Suppose later on, it is discovered that the woman doesn't even have a 20 year old son. Should that matter?
RoyalTea is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.