Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Do you believe Obama will not raise income taxes on those making up to $250,000?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do you believe Obama will not raise taxes on those making up to $250,000?
I support Obama and believe him
26.27%
I support Obama and don't believe him
13.56%
I do not support Obama and I believe him
5.08%
I do not support Obama and do not believe him
49.15%
I am unsure.
5.93%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe Obama will not raise income taxes on those making up to $250,000?

Old 10-17-08, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I believe Obama is genuine in his intention to not raise taxes for people making less than $250k, but I think he'll probably have to do it anyway. I think the same of McCain, FWIW.

Agreed on all counts.
Old 10-17-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe that he will try to lower it for people making under $250,000. I don't know if he will succeed or not, but I also believe that if cannot, then there is good reason. I want a president to exercise good judgement in determining whether it's a good idea overall to cut taxes. Not for him to blindly cut them even if he knows there's going to bad consequences for doing so, simply because he said he would.

McCain has only promised tax cuts for corporations. If he becomes president, nobody would raise a fuss if he didn't succeed in cutting taxes for corporations. The problem is that I don't trust his judgement to raise taxes if necessary. Now let's hear all the arguments as to why raising taxes is NEVER necessary.

This like two parents who have to discipline their kids. If only one parent is enforcing the rules, he/she may be seen as the bad guy by the child. Just because the other parent may be more lenient doesn't make that parent a good parent. Of course too much enforcing is also bad. What it requires is balance, and thus by extension, good judgement. In this analogy, I believe that Obama will bring better balance. I hope he's not afraid to do what's necessary for the good of the public.

For all those of you who think tax cuts are always good, I would ask you this: are you far better off now after Bush's tax cuts than before? For most Americans the tax cuts he enacted were the difference of a few hundred to a few thousand dollars. That difference was easily made up by higher gas prices, lost jobs, falling house prices, weak dollar, etc. That is not to say that tax cuts caused these things. It just means that the tax cuts are meaningless with these things happening. If you have less income, you have less taxes. If you didn't gain anything in your investments, you pay zero taxes. IOW, the Bush tax cuts got the average American nowhere fast. Oh, and how'd that rebate work out? Drastically changed anyone's life?

I don't like taxes anymore than any of you do. But I want a president who will do what's necessary even if it's not popular.

Last edited by hahn; 10-17-08 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-17-08, 08:06 PM
Premium Member

How are we going to pay for the 2 wars and the bailout again?

Either guy will have to come up with funds some way. Not sure how they will hide it but we cant continue with the credit card spending for ever.
Old 10-18-08, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Democratic president and congress....surely we will get a wealth tax out them so that the rich can pay their fair share. Well, except that the inherited wealthy are also Democrats, so we won't see that.

No one will cut spending.

I wonder if hedge fund managers will have their loophole removed so that they don't pay 15% on their entire several hundred million income. There was stink about it, but even that never made it through the Democrat congress.

I said 4 years ago, and I will repeat....there is little difference between the parties and candidates.
Old 10-18-08, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
How are we going to pay for the 2 wars and the bailout again?

Either guy will have to come up with funds some way. Not sure how they will hide it but we cant continue with the credit card spending for ever.
That's what the trust funds are for - steal (I"m sorry, borrow) money for them to pay for such things.
Old 10-18-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
That same thing couldn't happen today because enviromentalists would quickly point out that dams go in water, fish fuck in it, thus, we can't do that.
(spits water out of mouth)

Good God man!!!

How am I ever going to drink this stuff again?

Shut the hell up kvr!!!
Old 10-18-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think if Senator Obama really wants "change," he should seriously look at kiboshing the entire current Federal income tax system as it currently stands, if only for three reasons:

1) We're wasting US$265 billion per year in compliance costs and US$300 billion per year in pre-compliance economic decisions.

2) It discourages people from wanting to save and invest, something so direly needed in this country.

3) Too many Americans are "offshoring" their liquid assets just to avoid Federal income taxes. We have estimates of anywhere between US$11 TRILLION and US$16 TRILLION legally sitting in "offshore" accounts in the Bahamas, Bermuda, Grand Cayman Island, Panama, Singapore, Switzerland, and so on not being available for American banks and investment companies to provide loans and lines of credit for businesses. If even half of that "offshored" money were still here under better tax circumstances we would had a lot more leeway to clean up the sub-prime mortgage mess and companies like Lehman Brothers will still be operating even now.

Last edited by RayChuang; 10-18-08 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add wording
Old 10-18-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a lot of money in offshore banks all right.

That's kind of a normal practice.
Old 10-18-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
There's a lot of money in offshore banks all right.

That's kind of a normal practice.
And why is all that money providing the liquidity base for "offshore" banks and other countries instead of providing the liquidity base HERE?! If we had US$5.5 trillion to US$8 trillion providing the liquidity base here, we could have cleaned up most of the sub-prime mortgage message a long ago with minimal impact to financial institutions.
Old 10-18-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The renewal of the Bush tax cuts is the source of Obama's constant criticism of McCain for giving "tax cuts to the wealthy." How does he get away with ignoring the consequences of not renewing these tax cuts on the average American?

Is his plan to renew them in a fashion where the top 5% lose their current cuts buts the rest do not (via new cuts)? I assume that's the basic gig?
Old 10-19-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Duran View Post
Agreed on all counts.
The devil will make him do it.
Old 10-19-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Obama knows fully well that he won't be able to cut taxes - just as Bill Clinton knew fully well that he wasn't going to be able to cut taxes when he promised he would do so.
Old 10-20-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
there is little difference between the parties and candidates.
I am in total agreement with this statement.