Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

I have questions on the Obama citizenship "issue."

Old 10-13-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by belboz View Post
I always thought that requirement in the Constitution was a bit stupid. It seems contrary to the general disdain Americans have for privileges granted by accident of birth.

Wasn't there some question as to whether McCain qualifies as a "natural born citizen". If it's just an issue of making sure the candidates are constitutionally qualified to be president, why isn't Berg pursuing that as well?
I agree.

There was, but mcCain released his (or it was already out there) and he qualifies because both parents were natural citizens and was born in a foreign country while his father was in the military.
Old 10-13-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By the way, Mr. Berg is not the former Attorney General of Pennsylvania. He is a former Deputy Attorney General, which could mean anything from "second in command of the Attorney General's office" on down to "guy hired right out of law school to do research."

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/theoffice.aspx?id=341

Seriously, Dave. This guy is a crackpot and you just make yourself look like a crackpot by giving him credence. "Golly, if a nut filed a complaint composed of cut-and-pasted internet e-mails that could be debunked by a trip to Snopes, I don't know why Obama isn't just patiently debunking them one by one." It's just silly. The Obama campaign has put the facts out there for all who are interested to see. They're supposed to patiently hold every whack-job's hand whenever they show up with rambling conspiracy theories?
Old 10-13-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk God

You make me feel bad
Old 10-13-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bipartisan resolution was introduced on April 10 by Sens. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.), and Tom Coburn (R-Okla.). It is also supported by Democratic presidential candidates Sens. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), and Sen. Jim Webb (D-Va.). The Senate Judiciary Committee, which Leahy chairs and of which Coburn is a member, unanimously reported the resolution on April 24, and the Senate swiftly passed the measure.

“This bipartisan resolution erases any doubt that Senator McCain is eligible to run for president,” said Leahy. “The Senate was right to quickly pass this measure, and we can now put to rest any question of his eligibility.”
http://leahy.senate.gov/press/200804/043008d.html

Sen Leahy resolution
Old 10-13-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cheer up Dave, you and your Brother-in-Law can now enjoy each others company much more as you complain about the man and how nobody is willing to understand the Truth.
Old 10-13-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I agree.

There was, but mcCain released his (or it was already out there) and he qualifies because both parents were natural citizens and was born in a foreign country while his father was in the military.
By the way, Obama is a citizen because his mother was a US citizen, it's called "acquisition" of citizenship when you are the child of a US citizen.

When you are the child of a US citizen, (only one parent has to be a citizen) it doesn't matter where in the world you are born.

End of silly discussion.
Old 10-13-08, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
By the way, Obama is a citizen because his mother was a US citizen, it's called "acquisition" of citizenship when you are the child of a US citizen.

When you are the child of a US citizen, (only one parent has to be a citizen) it doesn't matter where in the world you are born.

End of silly discussion.
The question is whether his citizenship was given up (obviously not by his choice), or whether he was naturalized.

Continue silly discussion.

Sorry I even brought it up. Feisty group.
Old 10-13-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is what you have to do to renounce your U.S. citizenship:

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

Did Senator Obama do these things?
Old 10-13-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know. Shit. Fuck. Sorry i had questions.
Old 10-13-08, 07:26 PM

I don't know. Shit. Fuck. Sorry i had questions.
Wow, you must really be scared that Obama might get elected.
Old 10-13-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kvrdave, you must ask yourself. If the dude on the video had a full head of hair, would you still have started this thread?
Old 10-13-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack View Post
Wow, you must really be scared that Obama might get elected.

No, I'm not. I believe he will win. I will not vote for McCain. I voted for Obama in the primary.
Old 10-13-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
kvrdave, you must ask yourself. If the dude on the video had a full head of hair, would you still have started this thread?
Well, then he couldn't be trusted.
Old 10-14-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Step 1 - read thread.
Step 2: Buy kvdave a sense of humor for Christmas.

I was making a joke, not being serious or literal.
Old 10-14-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Step 2: Buy kvdave a sense of humor for Christmas.

I was making a joke, not being serious or literal.
Ooops, sorry.
Old 10-15-08, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is what you have to do to renounce your U.S. citizenship:

http://travel.state.gov/law/citizens...nship_776.html

Did Senator Obama do these things?
OK, Part F pretty much answers this whole thing for me. His step-father couldn't have renounced Obama's US citizenship when they moved to Indonesia. So, there was no need for him to be naturalized upon his return to the US.

Still, if it's that easy to respond to, why hasn't the Obama campaign just shown the paperwork to the judge and shut the guy up?

Besides, there's plenty of other reasons to vote against Obama.
Old 10-15-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by darkflounder View Post
OK, Part F pretty much answers this whole thing for me. His step-father couldn't have renounced Obama's US citizenship when they moved to Indonesia. So, there was no need for him to be naturalized upon his return to the US.

Still, if it's that easy to respond to, why hasn't the Obama campaign just shown the paperwork to the judge and shut the guy up?
Because he believes that he addressed the issue adequately. When you respond to one conspiracy kook you have to respond to them all otherwise the remaining kooks will point to subsequent lack of responses as "proof" that their claim has merit.

Originally Posted by darkflounder View Post
Besides, there's plenty of other reasons to vote against Obama.
Exactly. Unfortunately those legitimate reasons require some intelligence. And those latching on to the citizenship issue aren't exactly "deep thinkers".
Old 10-15-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Of course, the Senate has no power to actually determine if someone is eligible to run for or be president.
Old 10-15-08, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kvr, Berg is truly batshit insane. If Obama's gotta respond to that lawsuit, then Bush/Cheney need to respond to this even more ridiculous one.

http://screwloosechange.blogspot.com...r-supreme.html
Old 10-15-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's a fairly comprehensive debunking of the Berg lawsuit:

http://tesibria.typepad.com/whats_your_evidence/
Old 10-15-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by X View Post
Even forgetting the American soil thing, how could there be any question if he's born to two Americans while they're in another country and he didn't take up citizenship in that other country?
Look up Germany. Even today (well a few years ago for me), when we stopped in Germany on the way to Iraq, they had to verify that none of us had been born in Germany (or at least in a German hospital IIRC) - if you had, you could literally (no idea how often it actually happens) get picked up by the German Ministry of Defense. Which now that I think about it is a little weird since I don't think they use conscription with their army. Might've been a hold-over from the cold war.
Old 10-16-08, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tuan Jim View Post
Look up Germany. Even today (well a few years ago for me), when we stopped in Germany on the way to Iraq, they had to verify that none of us had been born in Germany (or at least in a German hospital IIRC) - if you had, you could literally (no idea how often it actually happens) get picked up by the German Ministry of Defense. Which now that I think about it is a little weird since I don't think they use conscription with their army. Might've been a hold-over from the cold war.
Still has zero effect on your status as a U.S. citizen. If Germany believes they can claim German citizenship because of one was simply born there, that would be a quirk of German law. On a similar not, do not, under any circumstances, get arrested in Mexico. Once you enter another country's borders you are at their mercy and they can do anything they want to you.
Old 10-16-08, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Still has zero effect on your status as a U.S. citizen. If Germany believes they can claim German citizenship because of one was simply born there, that would be a quirk of German law. On a similar not, do not, under any circumstances, get arrested in Mexico. Once you enter another country's borders you are at their mercy and they can do anything they want to you.

You're right, it's a purely military service thing, not citizenship-related. Should have been more specific.
Old 10-17-08, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

The real question should be is Kvrdave a US citizen?
Old 10-17-08, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by bfrank View Post
The real question should be is Kvrdave a US citizen?
No, Kvrdave is not a US citizen. He is a slumlord.

That makes him better than you and me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.