Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

I cannot watch political shows anymore!

Old 10-11-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I cannot watch political shows anymore!

I used to be a political junkie, but the shows are so divisive leading up to the election, EVERY show is just spin for each sides cause. I turn on Fox, O'Reilly, Hannity are bashing Obama, I turn on MSNBC and Maddow and Olberman are bashing McCain. I turn on Bill Maher and he is doing a full assault on McCain and calling Palin a bimbo. I turn on Letterman, John Stewart and they are bashing McCain. There is no fair coverage anymore on any of these shows it is just a bunch of people advancing their agenda, and I just wish one of them would just call it as they see it and not just spout talking points for their side every night. I know these show have always tilted one way, but they have gotten so blatantly partisan leading up to this election, I just can't watch them anymore. Who else here feels this way?
Old 10-11-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Every once in a while I break down and watch some 24 hours news. It lasts about 2 days and then I reach the same conclusion as you. Then I can easily go several months without flipping to those channels. Filth.
Old 10-11-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

If they stopped during what they're doing (attempt at entertaining) - they wouldn't have any audience.
Old 10-11-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This, my friends, is why God made cartoons and Three Stooges DVDs.
Old 10-11-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watch The Daily Show but only because I know what they do is pure entertainment and obviously biased. If there was a funny right-wing alternative, I'd probably check it out too.

The only TV news I watch is BBC, and even that's a rarity.
Old 10-11-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Bus: You don't think The Colbert Report is funny?
Old 10-11-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't find either one of them particulary funny.
Old 10-11-08, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
The only TV news I watch is BBC, and even that's a rarity.
Might I ask 'where do you get your news?'
Old 10-11-08, 09:41 AM

Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years. I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news.
Old 10-11-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The media have shoved this shit down my throat and i'm just about ready to throw up.
Just a couple of more weeks and all this shit will be over with- Thank God.
The loosers will go away and these ratings hounds will have no reason to talk about them anymore. Then what will they talk about?
Obama probably will win- i'm guessing. So will they start bashing him when he becomes the leader of the government? I'm interested to see who they start bashing to drive up their rating points when they find out that Obama can't or won't fix this problem called government either.
Old 10-11-08, 11:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

I watch it in small doses. I watch all the "news"/opinion channels. It's good to get all sides and then make your own decision. CSPAN isn't really that biased, but they sure are boring.

c-man is right when he says they're in the entertainment business. Riling people up one way or another is their business (unfortunately). Remember, you always have the ultimate power over them and that's the ability to flip to another channel or shut the TV off all together, which is a right that it looks like the OP exercised.
Old 10-11-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I can't watch them either. I get my news from this forum. I skip through commercials on shows I record so I don't have to watch political ads.
Old 10-11-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Might I ask 'where do you get your news?'
Don't answer that!! That's a gotcha question. lol
Old 10-11-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Some of them are entertainers. The opinion shows and commentary, I expect to be biased and share their opinions, although I would prefer if they (on either side) would *debate* and actually argue their point instead of just flaming or insulting the opposition. That was fun when Mort did it, but it gets old when EVERYbody does it.
I don't like the massive bias of allegedly "newspeople". If it's on their own time, fine, but if it's on a news program, that's a disappointing perversion of "news journalism". Again, from both sides.
I don't watch TV news either, although our break room at work has a TV that's locked on CNN for some reason, so I'll obviously catch headlines and brief stories when I'm in there.
Will it stop if Obama wins? Yes, it will, and since most of the news reporting population is solidly in support of him or any Democrat, the negative news will be of the "Holy Obama tries to save the world by taking Rich Guys' money away, but those dastardly Republicans are pushing hard to keep the government broke by keeping tax cuts" variety.

I honestly don't think "You stink! No, you stink! You hate babies! Well, you hate seniors!" combined with about a 4-to-1 lie/inaccuracy-to-truth ratio is all that entertaining, especially when there's absolutely no pretense at really wanting to hear "the other side". Television news has become Springerized (does anyone really want to know what Left Handed Lesbian Albino Eskimo Midgets who Impregnate their Cousins defend themselves, or do those shows just have an audience of people wanting to feel superior and shout at the freaks?)
Old 10-11-08, 12:22 PM

These kinds of posts are more annoying than biased posts.

I dunno, lumping all the shows as equal is not only foolish, but shows an inability to decipher what you're actually viewing. It's not what is being reported so much as how it is reported that is important.

I think the whole "I don't like news because it's biased" position is just an excuse to not stay informed. Or maybe it's a position of "I'm not biased, and look at these biased shows, aren't they just awful? Aren't we all so much better than those people?"
Old 10-11-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
This, my friends, is why God made cartoons and Three Stooges DVDs.
Get your pro-McCain bias out of this thread!
Old 10-11-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs View Post
Don't answer that!! That's a gotcha question. lol
It's not a gotcha question at all.

I'm interested in where people get their news.
Old 10-11-08, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
It's not a gotcha question at all.

I'm interested in where people get their news.
He was making a reference to Palin.
Old 10-11-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I tend to watch political shows with a jaundiced eye. Special Report with Brit Hume is the "best" show on FNC, and I watch Hardball on MSNBC for the actual political machinations. And I also watch the Daily Show and Real Time because you get more information on past events, books, and ideas than most of the daytime programing of any cabler.
Old 10-11-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's amazing how much influence these shows seemingly have on society. All of Cable news only has about 2 million viewers on a decent night. That's about .06% of the population. Personally I haven't watched any cable news in years. The Natlie Holloway case did it for me. I got sick of watching voyeurism in the guise of "news".
Old 10-11-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<---still watches MSNBC
Old 10-11-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
These kinds of posts are more annoying than biased posts.

I dunno, lumping all the shows as equal is not only foolish, but shows an inability to decipher what you're actually viewing. It's not what is being reported so much as how it is reported that is important.

I think the whole "I don't like news because it's biased" position is just an excuse to not stay informed. Or maybe it's a position of "I'm not biased, and look at these biased shows, aren't they just awful? Aren't we all so much better than those people?"
I would argue that simply reporting news, does little to inform or educate. The bias in news reporting doesn't bother me that much, but what is lacking in the US (and to a lesser extent in Canada) is serious analysis of said news by people who actually know what they are talking about. Whether it's tv or newspapers, all you get is rhetoric and sound bites, 5 min. shouting matches between political pundits, Washington insiders, etc..., and ope'd pieces where the "facts" are made to neatly fit around a pre-existing ideology. And when a true "expert" on a topic is given airtime, he usually has 2 min to make his point...

An example. After 9/11, during the Afghan war and later during the Iraq war, I watched a lot of TV5 (French tv) and to a lesser extent, some segments on the french and english CBC (hint: state owned tv). Well I learned more in an hour (for example, a one hour discussion/debate/round table involving historians, experts on the Middle East and Islam, thinkers, philosophers, etc...) than in a month of watching CNN...

North American audiences in general just don't have the stomach or the attention span for this sort of thing. Especially not in prime time...Furthermore, as I've stated several times before, I believe that the two party system/polarization of ideas has killed critical thinking in America and of course, this is reflected in the news. The general population WANTS bias in their news, simply because they seek to validate their own ideas and views.

Some might argue that the media's job is simply to report the news. I disagree, and to me that's (mostly) useless. I believe that informing along with educating should be what the media strive for. And simply regurgitating news in an "entertaining fashion" falls way short of achieving that goal.

Last edited by eXcentris; 10-11-08 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 03:35 PM

^^^ that's why it's called "news," and not "education."
Old 10-11-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I would argue that simply reporting news, does little to inform or educate. The bias in news reporting doesn't bother me that much, but what is lacking in the US (and to a lesser extent in Canada) is serious analysis of said news by people who actually know what they are talking about. Whether it's tv or newspapers, all you get is rhetoric and sound bites, 5 min. shouting matches between political pundits, Washington insiders, etc..., and ope'd pieces where the "facts" are made to neatly fit around a pre-existing ideology. And when a true "expert" on a topic is given airtime, he usually has 2 min to make his point...

An example. After 9/11, during the Afghan war and later during the Iraq war, I watched a lot of TV5 (French tv) and to a lesser extent, some segments on the french and english CBC (hint: state owned tv). Well I learned more in an hour (for example, a one hour discussion/debate/round table involving historians, experts on the Middle East and Islam, thinkers, philosophers, etc...) than in a month of watching CNN...

North American audiences in general just don't have the stomach or the attention span for this sort of thing. Especially not in prime time...Furthermore, as I've stated several times before, I believe that the two party system/polarization of ideas has killed critical thinking in America and of course, this is reflected in the news. The general population WANTS bias in their news, simply because they seek to validate their own ideas and views.

Some might argue that the media's job is simply to report the news. I disagree, and to me that's (mostly) useless. I believe that informing along with educating should be what the media strive for. And simply regurgitating news in an "entertaining fashion" falls way short of achieving that goal.
Not surprising since what you saw on French TV was more compatible with what you are predisposed to believing.

Last edited by sracer; 10-11-08 at 08:06 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 10-11-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sick of the pro-obama media and just general feel among some. I dislike the man's leftist policies but it seems like if you say you don't like him people label you a racist, far right extremist even if you cite valid issues you dislike about his policies. I just can't wait to see how the media will turn on their darling Obama in due time if he wins.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.