Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Second Presidential Debate thread (Town Hall style)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-07-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

McCain, Obama look for upper hand in 2nd U.S. presidential debate

The eyes of U.S. voters will be on Nashville, Tenn., Tuesday night to see if renewed friction between John McCain and Barack Obama in campaigning for the Nov. 4 vote will lead to sparks as they face off in the second presidential debate.

Republican candidate McCain will look to make up ground he has been losing in the White House race to his Democratic counterpart Obama in the wake of the ballooning financial crisis in the United States and abroad.
Recent opinion polls show McCain trailing Obama nationally by anywhere between three and nine percentage points.
"McCain is being accused pretty generally of not having a policy that fits for the economy, so he'll be trying to do something about that," said the CBC's Henry Champ from Washington, D.C.
"And Obama, of course, with the big lead that he's got in the national polls [and] in many of those battleground states, will be wanting to continue the same kind of campaign that he's been running over the last few weeks, which is to centrally tie McCain to George Bush and that failed administration."
As the frontrunner, Obama is expected to maintain a cautious approach in the debate, avoiding personal attacks in an attempt to "remain above the fray," said Champ.
Recent increase in negative campaigning
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama arrives at the airport in Nashville, Tenn., ahead of Tuesday's debate. (Alex Brandon/Associated Press)In recent days, McCain has gone on the offensive against Obama, questioning his character.
In an address in Albuquerque, N.M., on Monday, McCain said Obama had accused him of opposing regulation that could have avoided the U.S. financial crisis.
"I guess he believes if a lie is big enough and repeated often enough, it will be believed," he said.
"The McCain people make no bones about the fact that they want to define Barack Obama as they see him inexperienced and dangerous," said Champ.
Obama, in turn, has rejected the McCain campaign's charges, saying the Republicans were resorting to smear tactics to distract voters from the issues facing the country.
His accusations come even as his campaign rolled out a 13-minute video on Monday revisiting McCain's connections with Charles Keating, who was convicted of fraud after his savings and loan bank collapsed, costing U.S. taxpayers billions of dollars.
"It's quite clear that there is no love lost between these two individuals," said Champ.
"But they are trying to win an election. The economy is the issue, and they will have to keep that [foremost] in their minds."
Town hall meeting not conducive to confrontation
The debate, due to begin at 9 p.m. ET, will be held at Belmont University in Nashville and will be moderated by Tom Brokaw of NBC News. It will be a town hall-style meeting, a format that does not lend itself to direct, aggressive confrontation, said Champ.
"I don't think the people in the audience will want to watch the candidates slug it out in front of them," Alan Schroeder, a professor of journalism at Northeastern University, said in an interview with CBC News on Tuesday.
The candidates will face questions from members of a group of about 100 undecided Nashville voters identified by the Gallup polling company. The participants will meet with Brokaw beforehand, and he will select the questioners.
The candidates will sit on stools and be free to roam the stage in a less structured environment.
Polls judged Obama the winner of the first debate two weeks ago, but the town hall format is seen as an advantage for McCain, who has used such events to good effect numerous times in this year's Republican primary race and in his failed presidential bid in 2000.
The third debate is scheduled to take place at Hofstra University in Hempstead, N.Y., on Oct. 15.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/usvotes/stor...s-debates.html

-From what I've read it sounds like it wont be a true "Town Hall" debate as questions have to be pre-approved.
Old 10-07-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm passing on this one and the next.
Old 10-07-08, 05:51 PM

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts
As we all know, the "town hall" format greatly favors McCain. As long as Obama doesn't faint, piss himself, or shout "Oh lawdy lawdy!" it's safe to call him the winner.
Old 10-07-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
McCain won.
Old 10-07-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
As long as Obama doesn't faint, piss himself, or shout "Oh lawdy lawdy!" it's safe to call him the winner.
Or come out wearing Spock ears.

Old 10-07-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
Or come out wearing Spock ears.
Whoa, what the hell happened to Spock?!
Old 10-07-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I'm passing on this one and the next.
Yeah, I think I'm out, too. I was kicking myself for ditching "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" for the VP debate (even though I caught up on the show the next day).

Maybe I'll start it, but the 10 pm hour belongs to Vic Mackey.
Old 10-07-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone needs a Tivo.
Old 10-07-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the 10/15/92 debate this evening on CSPAN.

If this one tonight is anywhere as good as that one was - it'll be worth watching.

Clinton, especially Perot, & even Bush were on that night.

They actually laid out some concrete proposals. I don't believe we can expect that this evening.
Old 10-07-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Someone needs a Tivo.
I had one a couple of years ago (via my cable company), but never replaced it when I moved. One day I'll get back on track. Until then I'll just have to make do with Hulu, the networks' sites, On Demand, and torrents.

Anyway, I'm feeling that the extras on the Iron Man DVD (which I'm watching right now) and "The Shield" are a better use of my time than the debates.
Old 10-07-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I watched the 10/15/92 debate this evening on CSPAN.

If this one tonight is anywhere as good as that one was - it'll be worth watching.

Clinton, especially Perot, & even Bush were on that night.

They actually laid out some concrete proposals. I don't believe we can expect that this evening.
It might be if one of the candidates stepped up and asked that Bob Barr be allowed in the debate (as Bush did regarding Perot in '92)
Old 10-07-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
It might be if one of the candidates stepped up and asked that Bob Barr be allowed in the debate
He shouldn't have waited so long to submit his question.
Old 10-07-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

McCain just dropped energy in an economics question
Old 10-07-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

wasn't paying attention...how does he want to stabalize home values?
Old 10-07-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
"Not you Tom."

Trying to be funny, merely coming off like an asshole, really?
Old 10-07-08, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Buffet for Treasury Sec? He won't accept it
Old 10-07-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obama is avoiding the question
Old 10-07-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But he's a politician, he wouldn't dare do that!
DVD Talk Hero

Is McCain talking down to the questioner?
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ya, Obama really dodged that question. McCain is winning thus far IMO
Old 10-07-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

McCain is assigning blame and avoiding the question
Old 10-07-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What is this talk of buying up homes? Is McCain wanting the govt to buy homes???
Old 10-07-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Obama explained the credit freeze but didn't say how the bailout would help
Old 10-07-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did McCain propose changing the principle due on home loans (an idea that was ridiculed when Biden said the same thing)?

My kid was not enjoying the debate, so I kind of missed some of it.
Old 10-07-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like he just said it again. People can afford the new price of the homes. hmm...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.