Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Palin Thread part 3.5 (Was VP debate thread)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-27-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be particularly interested to see how Palin handles it, considering she didn't do so hot on some of the interviews. This, to me is important, considering McCain's age and all.

Vice presidential debate's format agreed upon

By Robert G. Kaiser
The Washington Post
WASHINGTON -- Negotiators for the campaigns of Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama agreed over the weekend on a format for the Oct. 2 debate between Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Joe Biden, resolving an issue left open in August after the campaigns settled on the structure of the three presidential debates, according to sources involved in the talks.

Under the plan agreed to Saturday, Palin and Biden will have less time than McCain and Obama to reply to moderators' questions and discuss each other's answers. And there will be no guidelines given to Gwen Ifill of PBS, moderator of the vice presidential debate, as to subject matter, allowing her to mix in questions about foreign and domestic matters, the sources said.

Both sides were satisfied with the final agreement, the sources said. The Commission on Presidential Debates, the independent nonprofit organization that manages these events, had hoped the campaigns would agree to the same longer segments for the vice presidential aspirants that were adopted in August for the presidential debates.

In the negotiations, Republicans wanted to limit the amount of time available for their candidate, Palin, to be questioned on a single topic.

Democrats, meanwhile, wanted to be sure Biden and Palin spoke from lecterns rather than sitting at a table the way Vice President Dick Cheney and his rivals in 2000 (Sen. Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut) and 2004 (Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina) did. Cheney had the upper hand in both debates, said several Democrats involved in the debate process, in part because the setting made it difficult if not impossible for Lieberman and Edwards to go after Cheney aggressively.

Both sides got what they wanted. Palin and Biden will each have 90 seconds to respond to questions, with a two-minute period for discussion between the candidates to follow.
Old 09-27-08, 02:50 AM
Banned by request

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think Biden is doomed no matter what happens. Either he's soft and comes off as being toothless, or he's tough and Palin gets coddled by the commentators who want to give her a free pass on everything.
Old 09-27-08, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

here's a pic of the moderator:

Old 09-27-08, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's going to be brutal.

This is almost painful to watch.

Old 09-27-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JumpCutz View Post
It's going to be brutal.

This is almost painful to watch.

OMG, who needs SNL, when you have the real thing?
Old 09-27-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I think Biden is doomed no matter what happens. Either he's soft and comes off as being toothless, or he's tough and Palin gets coddled by the commentators who want to give her a free pass on everything.
Are you fucking kidding me?

She doesn't know shit about dick and Biden will win just by showing up.

Last edited by slop101; 09-27-08 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 11:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I hope he makes her cry.
Old 09-27-08, 11:25 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Biden: With all due respect, Governor Palin doesn't know the difference between a strategy and a tactic.

Palin: Hey now, I know the difference. Ya. You betcha. A strategy is a game played with red and blue pieces, and a tactic is a breathmint.
Old 09-27-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 09-27-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Given how the press had treated Palin so far I doubt they'll give her a pass on anything, free or otherwise. I think that the overhyping and overspinning of Palin's credentials by Republicans and elements of the media who are republican-friendly are what caused the harsh treatment.
Old 09-27-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bill Maher: Sarah Barracuda, meet Joey the shark!
Old 09-27-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Biden: With all due respect, Governor Palin doesn't know the difference between a strategy and a tactic.

Palin: Hey now, I know the difference. Ya. You betcha. A strategy is a game played with red and blue pieces, and a tactic is a breathmint.
No kidding. Her tactic when she doesn't know the answer to something is to rattle on about something else. Sure, good politicians do this to avoid answering questions sometimes, but she's doing it about major, simple questions, constantly. Even the Russia / Alaska border thing...rattle on about whatever comes to mind, covering up for lack of a good answer.
Old 09-27-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just saw this nugget from Ed Shultz on Andrew Sulliven. It looks like our wildest Palin fantasies will come to fruition this Thursday.

Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”
Old 09-27-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

only people on the inside think this?
Old 09-27-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It might be possible that they could educate her in time for the debate - maybe not enough for her to come off well, but maybe enough so that she's not completely disastrous.

Although, I would love to see the disaster...
Old 09-27-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the first time I've ever looked forward to a VP debate. I'm having pizza and beer and having 5 or 6 friends over to watch the carnage. Poor woman is so clueless she doesn't even appear to recognize that she's clueless.
Old 09-27-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Just saw this nugget from Ed Shultz on Andrew Sulliven. It looks like our wildest Palin fantasies will come to fruition this Thursday.
Capitol Hill sources are telling me that senior McCain people are more than concerned about Palin.

The campaign has held a mock debate and a mock press conference; both are being described as “disastrous.” One senior McCain aide was quoted as saying, “What are we going to do?” The McCain people want to move this first debate to some later, undetermined date, possibly never. People on the inside are saying the Alaska Governor is “clueless.”
Old 09-27-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lol. You guys are reminding me of last week's Ugly Betty episode.
Old 09-27-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spend Thursday night watching a clueless executive think she's got all the answers even as she fumbles her way through nonsensical statements that make everyone around her wince in embarassment? Isn't that just The Office?
Old 09-27-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hahn View Post
This is the first time I've ever looked forward to a VP debate. I'm having pizza and beer and having 5 or 6 friends over to watch the carnage. Poor woman is so clueless she doesn't even appear to recognize that she's clueless.
Oh, I think she knows she is clueless. You can see the look in her eyes when she is asked even a mildly tough question by a reporter in the few interviews she has given. I think she got caught up in the moment when she was offered the VP slot, said yes, figured she'd ride the old man's coat tails to the White House, and probably figured the majority of the population never gives two squirts about the VP (after all, we elected Bush with Quale, didn't we?). When she gave comments like, "What does the Vice President do all day anyway?" it told VOLUMES that she was not prepared for what was coming. Now she is in over her head, and drowning. And you can see it...it comes through the cracks, but it is there.

It'd be awesome if she just had a melt down in the next 30 days or so. Can the VP just up and quit? Is there any historical precedence where a presidential candidate changed their VP nominee before the election?
Old 09-27-08, 04:49 PM

Even though my views are basically the complete opposite of hers, I'm actually starting to feel a little bad for her. She's in way over her head, and it's not really her fault (if someone I'd met once called me and asked me to be VP, I'd probably say yes).
Old 09-27-08, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Is there any historical precedence where a presidential candidate changed their VP nominee before the election?
Yes, in 1972 Senator George McGovern replaced running mate Senator Thomas Eagleton with Sargent Shriver, after Eagleton admitted to having received treatment for depression, including, IIRC, electroshock.
Old 09-27-08, 05:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
This will truly be must see TV.
Old 09-27-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by groucho View Post
biden: With all due respect, governor palin doesn't know the difference between a strategy and a tactic.

palin: Hey now, i know the difference. Ya. You betcha. A strategy is a game played with red and blue pieces, and a tactic is a breathmint.
5/5
Old 09-27-08, 05:13 PM

More conservatives are hoping McCain takes a mulligan:
Originally Posted by Daniel Larison
Six days to the VP debate, that is. Add this report from Schultz to the first call for Palin to step down from the ticket from a former supporter, and you have the makings of total disaster for the McCain campaign in this next week. The word disaster was honestly the first that came to mind when I heard the VP announcement as I was driving back to Chicago. I remember saying, to no one in particular in my car, “Total disaster.” Because I don’t want McCain to win, I wasn’t concerned that choosing Palin was a disaster for his chances, but I nonetheless felt a sense of wonder about it in the way that insane, futile attacks on fortified positions might inspire a certain strange admiration. I wondered at the time, “What could they have been thinking?” Of course, they had been thinking, “Mac wants Lieberman, which is even more insane, so let’s settle for the merely deranged.” Now they are paying the price.

After the Republican convention, I joked that the convention theme was, “Can we have a mulligan?” It seems to me that the McCain camp would very much like a do-over on the VP selection, but they know that if they dump Palin now it will definitely be over. If he dropped her now, or if she resigned for whatever reason, the combination of media triumphalism (the narrative would be, “so much for experience and judgement!”), liberal Schadenfreude and conservative despair would be so great that McCain wouldn’t stand a chance. Even though his result is now more likely to end up resembling Dole’s rather than, say, a respectable Ford-like defeat, he will have to trudge on and accept whatever happens. He might even earn some grudging respect late in the day; perhaps some generous Obama supporters will liken his campaign to the charge of the Light Brigade. He is, after all, so very concerned about Sevastopol, as he reminded us tonight. The entire Palin episode has been like some drunken bacchanalia that gave way to a terrified awakening several weeks too late. When her critics were painting her as a new Eagleton, her supporters were laughing at them as lunatics filled with hate, and now they are beginning to think that the haters may have been onto something. The GOP is experiencing self-immolation, and I can’t say that I am very bothered by that.
http://www.amconmag.com/larison/2008...inus-six-days/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.