Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Moldy Mattress Nets Inmate (murderer) $295k ("he did not suffer any physical harm")

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Moldy Mattress Nets Inmate (murderer) $295k ("he did not suffer any physical harm")

Old 09-20-08, 07:59 AM
Political Exile

This is one of the worst jury awards that I ever ever heard of.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive...mattress1.html

Moldy Mattress Nets Inmate $295k

Jury: Lousy bedding violated Wisconsin felon's constitutional rights

SEPTEMBER 19--A Wisconsin man serving time for reckless homicide yesterday was awarded $295,000 by a federal jury that found the inmate's constitutional rights were violated when he was forced to spend two months sleeping on a moldy, waterlogged mattress. Reggie Townsend, 29, scored the six-figure windfall after a U.S. District Court panel decided that he was improperly treated while locked up in late-2004 at the New Lisbon Correctional Institution.

The jury's special verdict can be found below. Following a jail riot, Townsend spent about 60 days in a 12' x 6' segregation unit he shared with another state inmate. During that period, the jury found that Townsend had to sleep on the cell floor atop a thin mattress adjacent to the shower.

The mattress, Townsend claimed, soon became "wet, moldy and foul smelling" and was not replaced despite his complaints to jail guards. Though he did not suffer any physical harm from the unsanitary bedding, Townsend was deprived of the "minimal civilized measure of life's necessities," the jury decided after deliberating six hours.

While the $295,000 punitive damage award was levied against Jerry Allen, a corrections officer, the State of Wisconsin may end up on the hook for the alleged actions (or inaction) of its employee. Townsend is serving 23 years for his role in a Milwaukee street shootout that left an 11-year-old girl dead. The child was hit by a stray bullet while inside her grandmother's home.
Old 09-20-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Where's the poll?
Old 09-20-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk God

No poll. That's disappointing. Well I'll fashion my own.

[ ] This is one of the worst jury awards that I ever ever heard of.
[X] This is not one of the worst jury awards that I ever ever heard of.
Old 09-20-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't know about y'all, but I believe someone hacked grundle's account.

No poll - dead-give-away.
Old 09-20-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On the positive side, when this criminal gets out of jail he'll have a little nest egg he can live off of so he won't have to resort to a life of robbing or killing other people for their money.

(Then again, he just might blow all that cash on cigarettes and drugs while he's in the slammer.)
Old 09-20-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That's disgusting and I would have given him at least $500,000
Old 09-20-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
On the positive side, when this criminal gets out of jail he'll have a little nest egg he can live off of so he won't have to resort to a life of robbing or killing other people for their money.

(Then again, he just might blow all that cash on cigarettes and drugs while he's in the slammer.)
me thinks the second part will hold true.
Old 09-20-08, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In other news, the jury who delivered the verdict, have all been arrested for outstanding warrants, and are now serving time in jails and prisons throughout the state.
Old 09-20-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only in America.
Old 09-21-08, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
In other news, the jury who delivered the verdict, have all been arrested for outstanding warrants, and are now serving time in jails and prisons throughout the state.

.......jury of his peers........