Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

CNN's Cafferty: Racism to blame for close polls in the campaign

Old 09-17-08, 10:16 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,322
CNN's Cafferty: Racism to blame for close polls in the campaign

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Race is arguably the biggest issue in this election, and it’s one that nobody’s talking about.

The differences between Barack Obama and John McCain couldn’t be more well-defined. Obama wants to change Washington. McCain is a part of Washington and a part of the Bush legacy. Yet the polls remain close. Doesn’t make sense…unless it’s race.

Time magazine’s Michael Grunwald says race is the elephant in the room. He says Barack Obama needs to tread lightly as he fights back against the McCain-Palin campaign attacks.

He writes, “Over the past 18 months, Obama has been attacked as a naive novice, an empty suit, a tax-and-spend liberal, an arugula-grazing élitist and a corrupt ward heeler, but the only attacks that clearly stung him involved the Rev. Jeremiah Wright - attacks that portrayed him as an angry black man under the influence of an even angrier black man.”

The angry black man, he goes on to say, doesn’t have broad appeal in White America. And even though the makeup of our population is changing, whites are still the majority in this country. How ironic that the giant step forward of nominating an African American for president may ultimately keep us mired in the past.

Here’s my question to you: Will Barack Obama’s race cost him the White House?
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...race-a-factor/





I expected the race card to make its appearance, but not so soon. Love his attempt to make Reverand Wright's angry racist tirades a product of white fear. Guilty white people make me physically ill.

If Obama loses this race its because he is a radical left winger and the Democrats are a bunch of boobs who have strayed so far from where they started they can no longer win big races, even "slam dunk" ones like this.
MACD23 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:21 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 5,191
Yes, because we know race plays no part in politics in America. Cough, Willie Horton, cough.

I don't know if it will decide the election, but it's definitely one factor. There are plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's black.
Lord Rick is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:27 AM
  #3  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Did you miss my last post on this guy:

Originally Posted by matta
I'll say. Jack Cafferty is the most biased "reporter" on television right now. He's worse than Olbermann:

Jack: Wolf, I just want to read you a few email responses to today's question: "What do you think of Sarah Palin?"

Cindy in Montana writes: "I think Sarah Palin is an evil disgusting human being. She's worse than Hitler. In fact, she's more evil than if Hitler and Lord Voldemort had a baby. In fact, there's a 10th circle of Hell about which Dante didn't describe because it was too awful, and that's the Circle of Sarah Palin. She eats puppies, shoots babies as target practice, and has a secret pit in the back of the Alaskan Governor's mansion where she keeps legions of Jews, Women, and African Americans to torture for her amusement. I wish she would die, but unfortunately she's an undead, evil temptress that only The One can destroy. Praised be Obama!"

Wolf, so far I've gotten over 93,000 emails about our question, and not one of them is even remotely positive. Most just view her as the human embodiment of all that is evil.
Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Yes, because we know race plays no part in politics in America. Cough, Willie Horton, cough.
This is more than making a point. He's trying to guilt whites into voting for Obama.

"If you vote for McCain, you're a racist!"
matta is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:30 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
I think the sexists have evened things out. The only reason McCain isn't up by 10 points is because he picked the split tail.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Cafferty is lame.

Race plays a role in politics, but I'm hoping its not a big role.

If Obama wins, some of his supporters will blame it on racists.

I thought the argument was that race would help Obama in the polls but not in the actual vote.
Venusian is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 AM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 2,322
Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post
Yes, because we know race plays no part in politics in America. Cough, Willie Horton, cough.

I don't know if it will decide the election, but it's definitely one factor. There are plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's black.
You're right that race plays a factor, but you're wrong about how it plays into the campaign. If Obama were WHITE he wouldn't be the nominee.
MACD23 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:34 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
DJLinus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 8,691
Originally Posted by MACD23 View Post
I expected the race card to make its appearance, but not so soon.
I read this column by Jacob Weisberg a month ago: "If Obama Loses: Racism is the only reason McCain might beat him."

Sure there are racists out there who won't vote for him, but to suggest that's the only reason why Obama could lose is ridiculous.
DJLinus is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:40 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by MACD23 View Post
If Obama were WHITE he wouldn't be the nominee.
This statement is more ridiculous than anything Cafferty said.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:45 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,849
Why do you think it's ridiculous? Do you think it is untrue?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:48 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
I also think race plays a bigger role than what we're willing to admit.

Gender also may a role. I don't think it will be as much as the racial one.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:50 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Why do you think it's ridiculous? Do you think it is untrue?
Yes, not only untrue but absurd.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:53 AM
  #12  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,284
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, not only untrue but absurd.
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?
Pharoh is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 AM
  #13  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,284
The other, larger point, is that a great many of us here called this moment months ago, the moment where the only reason for a Senator Obama loss is racism, and where the only reason people won't vote for him is due to racism.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Brack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: near Cincinnati
Posts: 9,659
It's no accident that only white males have been president.
Brack is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:56 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?
Why do you assume a hypothetical "white" Obama would not have received the black vote?
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:56 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
It's no accident that only white males have been president.
Careful. That could really be spun badly.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:57 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
I'd just like to point out that Obama is as much white as he is black
Venusian is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:58 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?

No
classicman2 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:58 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
The other, larger point, is that a great many of us here called this moment months ago, the moment where the only reason for a Senator Obama loss is racism, and where the only reason people won't vote for him is due to racism.
Because the race issue was as obvious months ago as it is today.

The notion that race is the only reason Obama may lose is just as absurd as the notion that he only got the nomination because he's black AND that race has nothing to do with who wins.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:58 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,304
Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post

I don't know if it will decide the election, but it's definitely one factor. There are plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's black.
Yep. There are also many who'll vote for him ONLY because he's Black.

I remember when Hillary was an issue in the race and everyone was talking about how Black Women were in a weird place because they were having to decide between Hillary and Obama. If they didn't automatically choose Obama, then they were labeled sell outs for not voting for the Black person. But then the idea of having the 1st Women President was also a huge draw. Oprah got a lotta shit for supporting Obama from some women too.

I guess the lucky thing for them was that both the Woman and the Black were both Democrats. Otherwise they'd have to go into hiding.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-17-08 at 11:01 AM.
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 10:59 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,849
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Yes, not only untrue but absurd.
Do you think Sarah Palin would be the VP candidate if she was male?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 11:00 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Giantrobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: South Bay
Posts: 57,304
Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I'd just like to point out that Obama is as much white as he is black

Yeah people forget he's only Half-Black. But then again America has the "one drop of colored blood" law doesn't it?
Giantrobo is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 11:00 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,849
Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?

Thank you.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 11:00 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
I think HC had little shot of winning the nomination and only became very attractive to voters when the alternative was Obama. A bit revisionist to declare Hillary the darling of the left.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 09-17-08, 11:01 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Do you think Sarah Palin would be the VP candidate if she was male?
Sarah Palin was appointed, not elected by 18 million people.
CRM114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.