Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

CNN's Cafferty: Racism to blame for close polls in the campaign

Old 09-17-08, 10:16 AM
Banned

CNN's Cafferty: Racism to blame for close polls in the campaign

FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Race is arguably the biggest issue in this election, and it’s one that nobody’s talking about.

The differences between Barack Obama and John McCain couldn’t be more well-defined. Obama wants to change Washington. McCain is a part of Washington and a part of the Bush legacy. Yet the polls remain close. Doesn’t make sense…unless it’s race.

Time magazine’s Michael Grunwald says race is the elephant in the room. He says Barack Obama needs to tread lightly as he fights back against the McCain-Palin campaign attacks.

He writes, “Over the past 18 months, Obama has been attacked as a naive novice, an empty suit, a tax-and-spend liberal, an arugula-grazing élitist and a corrupt ward heeler, but the only attacks that clearly stung him involved the Rev. Jeremiah Wright - attacks that portrayed him as an angry black man under the influence of an even angrier black man.”

The angry black man, he goes on to say, doesn’t have broad appeal in White America. And even though the makeup of our population is changing, whites are still the majority in this country. How ironic that the giant step forward of nominating an African American for president may ultimately keep us mired in the past.

Here’s my question to you: Will Barack Obama’s race cost him the White House?
http://caffertyfile.blogs.cnn.com/20...race-a-factor/

I expected the race card to make its appearance, but not so soon. Love his attempt to make Reverand Wright's angry racist tirades a product of white fear. Guilty white people make me physically ill.

If Obama loses this race its because he is a radical left winger and the Democrats are a bunch of boobs who have strayed so far from where they started they can no longer win big races, even "slam dunk" ones like this.
Old 09-17-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, because we know race plays no part in politics in America. Cough, Willie Horton, cough.

I don't know if it will decide the election, but it's definitely one factor. There are plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's black.
Old 09-17-08, 10:27 AM
Banned

Did you miss my last post on this guy:

Originally Posted by matta
I'll say. Jack Cafferty is the most biased "reporter" on television right now. He's worse than Olbermann:

Jack: Wolf, I just want to read you a few email responses to today's question: "What do you think of Sarah Palin?"

Cindy in Montana writes: "I think Sarah Palin is an evil disgusting human being. She's worse than Hitler. In fact, she's more evil than if Hitler and Lord Voldemort had a baby. In fact, there's a 10th circle of Hell about which Dante didn't describe because it was too awful, and that's the Circle of Sarah Palin. She eats puppies, shoots babies as target practice, and has a secret pit in the back of the Alaskan Governor's mansion where she keeps legions of Jews, Women, and African Americans to torture for her amusement. I wish she would die, but unfortunately she's an undead, evil temptress that only The One can destroy. Praised be Obama!"

Wolf, so far I've gotten over 93,000 emails about our question, and not one of them is even remotely positive. Most just view her as the human embodiment of all that is evil.
Originally Posted by Lord Rick
Yes, because we know race plays no part in politics in America. Cough, Willie Horton, cough.
This is more than making a point. He's trying to guilt whites into voting for Obama.

"If you vote for McCain, you're a racist!"
Old 09-17-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk God

I think the sexists have evened things out. The only reason McCain isn't up by 10 points is because he picked the split tail.
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cafferty is lame.

Race plays a role in politics, but I'm hoping its not a big role.

If Obama wins, some of his supporters will blame it on racists.

I thought the argument was that race would help Obama in the polls but not in the actual vote.
Old 09-17-08, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post

I don't know if it will decide the election, but it's definitely one factor. There are plenty of people who won't vote for him because he's black.
You're right that race plays a factor, but you're wrong about how it plays into the campaign. If Obama were WHITE he wouldn't be the nominee.
Old 09-17-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MACD23 View Post
I expected the race card to make its appearance, but not so soon.
I read this column by Jacob Weisberg a month ago: "If Obama Loses: Racism is the only reason McCain might beat him."

Sure there are racists out there who won't vote for him, but to suggest that's the only reason why Obama could lose is ridiculous.
Old 09-17-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MACD23 View Post
If Obama were WHITE he wouldn't be the nominee.
This statement is more ridiculous than anything Cafferty said.
Old 09-17-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Why do you think it's ridiculous? Do you think it is untrue?
Old 09-17-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I also think race plays a bigger role than what we're willing to admit.

Gender also may a role. I don't think it will be as much as the racial one.
Old 09-17-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Why do you think it's ridiculous? Do you think it is untrue?
Yes, not only untrue but absurd.
Old 09-17-08, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 AM

The other, larger point, is that a great many of us here called this moment months ago, the moment where the only reason for a Senator Obama loss is racism, and where the only reason people won't vote for him is due to racism.
Old 09-17-08, 10:54 AM

It's no accident that only white males have been president.
Old 09-17-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
This is not a direction I think we need to go, but I will ask one question. Would Senator Obama had won the nomination if he only received 50% of the Black vote in the primaries?
Why do you assume a hypothetical "white" Obama would not have received the black vote?
Old 09-17-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
It's no accident that only white males have been president.
Careful. That could really be spun badly.
Old 09-17-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd just like to point out that Obama is as much white as he is black
Old 09-17-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk God

No
DVD Talk Hero

The other, larger point, is that a great many of us here called this moment months ago, the moment where the only reason for a Senator Obama loss is racism, and where the only reason people won't vote for him is due to racism.
Because the race issue was as obvious months ago as it is today.

The notion that race is the only reason Obama may lose is just as absurd as the notion that he only got the nomination because he's black AND that race has nothing to do with who wins.
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Lord Rick View Post

Yep. There are also many who'll vote for him ONLY because he's Black.

I remember when Hillary was an issue in the race and everyone was talking about how Black Women were in a weird place because they were having to decide between Hillary and Obama. If they didn't automatically choose Obama, then they were labeled sell outs for not voting for the Black person. But then the idea of having the 1st Women President was also a huge draw. Oprah got a lotta shit for supporting Obama from some women too.

I guess the lucky thing for them was that both the Woman and the Black were both Democrats. Otherwise they'd have to go into hiding.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-17-08 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-17-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Do you think Sarah Palin would be the VP candidate if she was male?
Old 09-17-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I'd just like to point out that Obama is as much white as he is black

Yeah people forget he's only Half-Black. But then again America has the "one drop of colored blood" law doesn't it?
DVD Talk God

Thank you.
DVD Talk Hero

I think HC had little shot of winning the nomination and only became very attractive to voters when the alternative was Obama. A bit revisionist to declare Hillary the darling of the left.
Old 09-17-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Do you think Sarah Palin would be the VP candidate if she was male?
Sarah Palin was appointed, not elected by 18 million people.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.