Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Which do You Prefer?
Keith Olbermann
35.89%
Bill O'Reilly
30.65%
Both are blowhards
32.26%
who?
1.21%
Voters: 248. You may not vote on this poll

Olbermann or O'Reilly (now with Glenn Beck content)

Old 09-07-08, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Olbermann or O'Reilly (now with Glenn Beck content)

VS.
Ok, this is just a who do you prefer if either. I know both have their fans and both have thier enemies. I even included a 'both are blowhards' option.

I picked Olbermann cause i honestly agree with 95% of the stuff on his show, and i can't stand O'Reilly at all.

Discuss
Old 09-07-08, 06:31 AM
Banned by request

Thank goodness you included the "both are blowhards" option. I think both men contribute to the ever-lowering quality of political discussion in this country.
Old 09-07-08, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is going to be a funny thread.

I can't see how you can compare the two other than they are clearly partisans for one side.

O'Reilly won't admit it and I'm not sure I've ever heard Olbermann asked whether he felt he was in the tank for the democrats (And if he's not, he sure is with Obama and it's sickening), so I'm not sure if he's ever lied or not about it. I also think he'd be far more likely to criticize a democratic adminstration that was f*cking things up than people think. It's not his fault we can't win an election.

Trying to look at it from the conservative point of view, I can only see that you might consider him partisan and a blowhard. I can't see other comparisons.

His interviews are civil. He doesn't do an interview and then bring on 2 or 3 people who agree with his point of view just to tell him that he's right. When people disagree with him, he never yells or talks down to them, he doesn't mind being criticized by the right while O'Reilly will send his goons to stalk you if you so much as write a small piece in a local paper that dares to say anything remotely negative about him, and the list goes on and on.

Also, Keith is pefectly capable of handling anchoring new stories such as coverage of a hurricane or whatever and Fox wouldn't let O'Reilly near anything like that because he's only good at what he does on the factor. Nothing else.

Sure, I can see why a conservative/republican would dislike Keith. But I honestly can't believe how people could think what he does it even close to as bad as what BillO does on a nightly basis. I would think people that do are the ones who listen to Rush and don't think there's anything wrong with what he does or says either.
Old 09-07-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Also, Keith is pefectly capable of handling anchoring new stories such as coverage of a hurricane or whatever and Fox wouldn't let O'Reilly near anything like that
I don't think that's a good thing.

If you're involved in the media, you need to pick between being an impartial reporter/anchor and being an opinionated commentator/analyst.
Old 09-07-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk God

I took the number 3 option.

At least O'Reilly has a lot more guests to doesn't share the same view as he does than does Olbermann.

Olbermann's interviews may be civil - he interviews people who share the same view that he does.

He is/was (I haven't watched him a long time) completely un-civil in his commentary rants - over & over saying "Mr. President, you are a liar."
Old 09-07-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've seen you guys talk about these two a lot lately. I think this is the first time I've actually seen a picture Olbermann. Based on people's comments, I'm glad.
Old 09-07-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't watch them but have seen clips people post. Both are blowhards
Old 09-07-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They are like facism and communism, two sides of the same coin.
Old 09-07-08, 10:28 AM

Only one of them served as a loose inspiration for a character on <i>Sports Night</i> (the greatest sitcom ever), so of course I have to choose Olbermann.
Old 09-07-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sportscenter > Inside Edition
Old 09-07-08, 10:29 AM

This is going to be a funny thread.

I can't see how you can compare the two other than they are clearly partisans for one side.

O'Reilly won't admit it and I'm not sure I've ever heard Olbermann asked whether he felt he was in the tank for the democrats (And if he's not, he sure is with Obama and it's sickening), so I'm not sure if he's ever lied or not about it. I also think he'd be far more likely to criticize a democratic adminstration that was f*cking things up than people think. It's not his fault we can't win an election.

Trying to look at it from the conservative point of view, I can only see that you might consider him partisan and a blowhard. I can't see other comparisons.

His interviews are civil. He doesn't do an interview and then bring on 2 or 3 people who agree with his point of view just to tell him that he's right. When people disagree with him, he never yells or talks down to them, he doesn't mind being criticized by the right while O'Reilly will send his goons to stalk you if you so much as write a small piece in a local paper that dares to say anything remotely negative about him, and the list goes on and on.

Also, Keith is pefectly capable of handling anchoring new stories such as coverage of a hurricane or whatever and Fox wouldn't let O'Reilly near anything like that because he's only good at what he does on the factor. Nothing else.

Sure, I can see why a conservative/republican would dislike Keith. But I honestly can't believe how people could think what he does it even close to as bad as what BillO does on a nightly basis. I would think people that do are the ones who listen to Rush and don't think there's anything wrong with what he does or says either.
I couldn't agree more.

I flipped over to BillO during the hurricane last week, and he even cuts off weathermen. I kid you not.
Old 09-07-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

He is/was (I haven't watched him a long time) completely un-civil in his commentary rants - over & over saying "Mr. President, you are a liar."
Not joking - how is this "un-civil"?
Old 09-07-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
They are like facism and communism, two sides of the same coin.
Don't insult those two types of governments.

I'd prefer Dumb and Dumber. But even as they are, they do have their good moments. And I will cite them occasionally.
Old 09-07-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Both are egomaniacal douchebags.

O'Reilly is a terrible interviewer/debater, but Olbermann is clinically insane, absolutely stark raving mad, completely and utterly bonkers.
Old 09-07-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

both are assholes of the highest degree and great reasons not to have cable
Old 09-07-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Both are blowhards, but I prefer Olbermann both because I tend to agree with him and because he seems to be a more civil blowhard than O'Reilly.
Old 09-07-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What exactly did Keith do (lately) which has pissed-off a few people.
Old 09-07-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
What exactly did Keith do (lately) which has pissed-off a few people.
the republacans don't like that he bashes McCain alot, and thney don't like thatthey let him be the main news anchor
Old 09-07-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
the republicans don't like that he bashes McCain a lot, and they don't like that they let him be the main news anchor
I don't like Olbermann because he's Koo-Koo for Cocoa Puffs.
Old 09-07-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

both back to back regarding the Edwards scandal (and it shows that O'Reilly is a liar.)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdS-MmZ6jIQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wdS-MmZ6jIQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by Rypro 525; 09-07-08 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-07-08, 03:06 PM

if nothing else, Keith is hilarious.
Old 09-07-08, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by naitram View Post
both are assholes of the highest degree and great reasons not to have cable
Since when is looking out for kids by trying to pass JESSICA'S LAW being an asshole?
Old 09-07-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

O'Reilly won't admit it and I'm not sure I've ever heard Olbermann asked whether he felt he was in the tank for the democrats (And if he's not, he sure is with Obama and it's sickening), so I'm not sure if he's ever lied or not about it.
He did say once that there was no bias on Countdown, which clearly isn't true, but I wondered if that was intentional on his part to mimic Bill O'Reilly's claim of the "no spin zone."

--THX
Old 09-07-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk God

You'll have to forgive Olbermann some. He works for a network that is blatantly biased.

Why would you expect anything different from him.
Old 09-07-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
Since when is looking out for kids by trying to pass JESSICA'S LAW being an asshole?
You know you can be an asshole and occasionaly do good things. Hell you can be an asshole and constantly do good things.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.