Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republican National Convention, 2008 - Hijacked

Old 08-30-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Republican National Convention, 2008 - Hijacked

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Yes on all 3 networks (CNN, MSNBC, and Fox). News is news.
I watched the DNC on my local PBS hi-def feed. No real interruptions, just a camera fixed on the podium (kinda like C-Span).

I will do the same with the RNC.
Old 08-30-08, 02:42 PM

I also watched on PBS HD. It was refreshing.
Old 08-30-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

The Republicans have been making the argument that offshore domestic drilling would have a substantial short-term effect on oil prices. That is simply not true. In the first place, any effect will not be felt for years -- as you acknowledge, it will take years for the oil to come on line. In the second place, there simply are not enough oil reserves in the United States to have a significant effect on oil prices.
First, Bill Clinton made that argument about ANWR in 1995. He said it would take 10 years. That would be nice about now.

Second, the short term affect comes from the idea that speculators would see that we actually have decided to take matters into our own hands and use some of our own resources. That makes speculating on continued rising much riskier. But if we are the biggest consumer and yet the only country in the world who has decided not do anything about it, it seems that the speculation is much easier.

Third, you simply cannot know if there are enough oil reserves when you don't even allow test drilling to accurately see what we have.

I say we quit using the sun because it will go out one day.
Old 08-30-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Also the argument that oil won't be available for years if we drill now is like arguing that we shouldn't do anything about the deficit or the national debt because we won't see any benefits for years.
Old 08-30-08, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by scc15 View Post
I also watched on PBS HD. It was refreshing.

I had no idea PBS was available in HD. I've never checked out. The Victor Borge dvds must be selling well.
Old 08-30-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I had no idea PBS was available in HD. I've never checked out. The Victor Borge dvds must be selling well.
you're missing out. I think they have the dad from Seinfeld doing some of the coverage. I thought he was dead, but he seems more animated than ever.
Old 08-30-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't it a bit premature to start this thread 3 days before it starts? Not that anything that noteworthy will occur afterwards either.
Old 08-30-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Isn't it a bit premature to start this thread 3 days before it starts?
Hey, it could be longer than that until it starts...
Old 08-30-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post

PBS was ahead of all the Network/Cable Stations where HD is concerned.
Old 08-30-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Isn't it a bit premature to start this thread 3 days before it starts? Not that anything that noteworthy will occur afterwards either.
If we don't get the post count up to at least 700 there will be complaints of bias...
Old 08-30-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The pre-convention police staters are already out in full force, executing warrants on houses filled with college kids who plan on protesting the convention. Several were arrested and charged with "conspiracy to incite a riot." Can anyone recall the last time that charge was used?

Glenn Greenwald over on Salon has really been on the ball with this, as it's getting very ugly and seems like an overt attempt at breaking up peaceful protests before they begin. Regardless of what you think of protesters, this is pretty despicable. Apparently, lawyers and journalists were also detained.

The NY Time has some coverage of this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/30/us...PQ&oref=slogin

For Greenwald's full blog on this: http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwa...ids/index.html
Old 08-30-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
When we hit oil, we'll be full of oil on the domestic drilling issue. In the meantime, it is a messy job, but someone's got to do it.
I always thought there was a refinery problem? As in most operating refineries are old and no one wants a new one in their backyard. With Gustav comming I think 5.00+ gal. will happen. As for Driiling there is always closer locations like along the coastal areas of the lower 48 states, namely Florida and the se coast and the west coast. We could also use more nuclear power plants.

And this:

Failed Super Collider lab in Texas gathers weedschron.com — Had the Superconducting Super Collider been completed as planned, the magnet would now lie in a 54-mile-long tunnel. After spending billions of dollars, Congress axed the SSC 15 years ago. The lab and magnet now sit near the Texas A&M campus, a weathered reminder of what might have been and an apt metaphor for the state of U.S. high-energy physics
Old 08-30-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ernestrp View Post
I always thought there was a refinery problem? As in most operating refineries are old and no one wants a new one in their backyard. With Gustav comming I think 5.00+ gal. will happen. As for Driiling there is always closer locations like along the coastal areas of the lower 48 states, namely Florida and the se coast and the west coast. We could also use more nuclear power plants.
We could use more of everything. Only in 21st century America is growth of industry looked at like a cancer.
Old 08-30-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My argument is not that we shouldn't drill because we won't see any affects for 10 years. My argument is that the GOP is lying when they say that if we drill now, we will see the affects next year. I am in favor of drilling -- I just don't think it will have any effect on prices in the short term.
Old 08-30-08, 08:01 PM
Suspended

My argument is not that we shouldn't drill because we won't see any affects for 10 years. My argument is that the GOP is lying when they say that if we drill now, we will see the affects next year. I am in favor of drilling -- I just don't think it will have any effect on prices in the short term.
Bush lifting the presidential ban was enough to affect prices in the short term. You're crazy to think that lifting the congressional ban and actually starting the process of drilling won't have an effect.
Old 08-30-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How classy:

http://www.redstate.com/diaries/abse...-favor-to-dem/

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrBus8ORR78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TrBus8ORR78&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-30-08, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Ron G View Post
Bush lifting the presidential ban was enough to affect prices in the short term. You're crazy to think that lifting the congressional ban and actually starting the process of drilling won't have an effect.
Or asked another way, do you, (JasonF), believe that oil is priced at its current level due to today's usage? What about the level of consumption next year?
Old 08-30-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L View Post
Very ugly and shameful.
Old 08-30-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GOP officials say Gustav likely to force convention changes

"A senior McCain source tells CNN they are considering turning the convention into a service event — a massive telethon to raise money for the Red Cross and other agencies to help with the hurricane.

"He wants to do something service oriented if and when the storm hits and it’s as bad as its expected to be now," said this McCain source.

They are also hoping to get McCain himself to a storm-affected area as soon as possible.

Earlier, John McCain had suggested to a FOX News interviewer that the convention could be suspended if it seemed a festive gathering was inappropriate in light of the potential destruction the storm may bring.

Republican Governors Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, Charlie Crist of Florida, Haley Barbour of Mississippi and Rick Perry of Texas — all states which lie in the path of Gustav, currently a Category 4 hurricane — will all skip the GOP convention because of the storm."

Should be an interesting week all around. Great idea turning the convention into a telethon.
Old 08-30-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN and MSNBC will be happy they don't have to cover the convention as much, with Gustav.
Old 08-30-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
That simply isn't true. All it would take is another 2% in worldwide production and prices would drop by quite a bit. Get production to exceed demand by even just a little and then the buyers run the market, not the sellers.

There is a lot of oil here that hasn't been tapped yet. A lot. And it SHOULD be tapped - why buy it from enemy states? Enriching our enemies? That makes no sense. Drill here, drill now (and reap the rewards in 5-10 years' time).
We get most of our oil from Canada and Mexico.

I'm not opposed to drilling. I'm opposed to drilling if we are simply going to drill for a marginal savings in gasoline prices. If we allow drilling the oil MUST be exclusively for American use and we should decrement the amount we buy from the middle east. At the same time we aggressively raise CAFE standards and invest in energy research.
Old 08-30-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
CNN and MSNBC will be happy they don't have to cover the convention as much, with Gustav.
You mean I won't get to see those Bo Derek and Ron Silver profile pieces? Darn.
Old 08-30-08, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They had a piece on CNN about protesters at the conventions planning to throw urine and feces. Stay classy, anarchists!
Old 08-30-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How classy:
Likely GOP presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, are traveling to Mississippi on Sunday to check on people getting prepared for Hurricane Gustav.
Old 08-30-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
How classy:
Likely GOP presidential nominee John McCain and his running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, are traveling to Mississippi on Sunday to check on people getting prepared for Hurricane Gustav.
If they didn't go, people would be up in arms about why they didn't go. They are in a very tough position. They can't just go on with the convention as usual with this situation.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.