Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: So who will it be?
Joe Biden
52.24%
Sarah Palin
47.76%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Who will be the next VP of the US, Biden or Palin? part III

Old 08-29-08, 07:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

Who will be the next VP of the US, Biden or Palin? part III

Lets do one more VP thread. I'm sure some folks will want to chime in over the weekend as the news is still fresh, but after that we should go back to the One and only Presidential thread. This one with bonus poll.

Previous thread (part II): Here
Old 08-29-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by eXcentris
It's a relevant question and my guess would be not many. Which is why I have a hard time comprehending arguments that this pick will make the race closer or vice-versa. Or are people just going to go "woooo she's an outdoorsy woman with 5 kids" so I'm voting for that awesome ticket!

It's called "The Obama Effect" even though it doesn't apply to race in this situation.
Old 08-29-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's interesting to note that in under 12 hours <s>this</s> the original "Palin" VP thread is longer than the first "Biden" VP thread, despite the weeks of front page headlines declaring "Obama still thinking about VP selection...." and Obama's twitter ballyhoo.

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
What percentage of American voters knew who Palin was (and by "knew" I mean more than "I might have heard her name mentionned once or twice") before she was nominated. I'm curious.
Going by the MSM's "He's so new/unknown" excuse for excessive Obama coverage I expect to have 24/7 Palin coverage until mid April, more if the GOP actually wins.
Old 08-29-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What percentage of American voters knew who Palin was (and by "knew" I mean more than "I might have heard her name mentionned once or twice") before she was nominated. I'm curious.
I've heard of her from looking up her pics online.

Just curious, who's considered the #2 guy after the Prime Minister in Canada? I honestly don't know.
Or is the Prime Minister #2 after the Queen.
Old 08-29-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh, I was reading a canadadian thread in another forum, and wanted to use the term Shawinigan Handshake.

Chretien was crazy. Entertaining crazy.
Old 08-29-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had heard of her, but only because she's been on the list of potential VP choices from the beginning. On one hand, I think she's sounds great on paper. On the other, I feel like this is more of an "affirmative action" choice, which kind of bugs me.

I need to read more about her for sure, but I like what I've read thus far. McCain MAY have swung my vote in his direction with the choice. Not because she's female, but because she really does sound like a conservative I can support (so far).

Also, as for the experience thing, it cracks me up. She's at least been governor, even if only for a short time. None of the other 3 have executive experience so who cares? Senators know how to barter and make deals to get things done. Governors should be used to making decisions, even if they're tough ones to make.
Old 08-29-08, 08:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
It's interesting to note that in under 12 hours <s>this</s> the original "Palin" VP thread is longer than the first "Biden" VP thread, despite the weeks of front page headlines declaring "Obama still thinking about VP selection...." and Obama's twitter ballyhoo.

Going by the MSM's "He's so new/unknown" excuse for excessive Obama coverage I expect to have 24/7 Palin coverage until mid April, more if the GOP actually wins.
I know I posted more because I had time at work. Last week I was swamped and didn't post much. Still, the McCain pick was more intriguing I'll give you that. How it will play out over the long haul remains to be seen.
Old 08-29-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How long before the swimsuit (or other revealing skin) pics from the beaty contest days are on Drudge? Bring it on
Old 08-29-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post

As others have noted, I'd compare her more to Harriet Miers than to Obama.
Old 08-29-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

I really feel that McCain was banking on the stupidity and cow-like swayability of uninformed voters with this pick. So this question really hinges on how stupid we are as a country. I'm choosing Biden as the only choice that makes any kind of sense in a sane world, but I would never over-estimate the American voter.
Old 08-29-08, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds View Post
blah blah blah.
Conspicuously absent from your economic statement is any support for your candidate, who admits to total ignorance on the subject. Look, I'm not saying Obama is perfectly knowledgeable about everything, but he's consistently shown a searing curiosity to learn from all sides and make sound decisions. His judgment on foreign policy is remarkable. I think many of his positions are that way. And where he needs help, he seeks it out and learns according to many points of view, and quickly.

That's a quality I want in a prez.
Old 08-29-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J View Post
Conspicuously absent from your economic statement is any support for your candidate, who admits to total ignorance on the subject. Look, I'm not saying Obama is perfectly knowledgeable about everything, but he's consistently shown a searing curiosity to learn from all sides and make sound decisions. His judgment on foreign policy is remarkable. I think many of his positions are that way. And where he needs help, he seeks it out and learns according to many points of view, and quickly.

Yeah, his idea to invade Pakistan is simply...remarkable.
Old 08-29-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, it kinda bothers me how some (and others--including my mother) would want another 4 years. To me, that's pretty weird. So, I'm still confused on those who say choosing Obama is akin to Astrology.

Just what exactly is Obama fantasizing about? I thought his speech was rather honest, and indicative of what we've been experiencing the last 8 years. What's so "astrological" about it? I'm a former Republican, btw.

Obama = Hope, Future-looking, positive, team efforts, everyone can make it happen, Iraq is not the only country which needs a majority of our military resources

McCain = Fear, terror, stay the same, I know what's best, Only I know foreign policy, Iraq is the only solutuon to terrorism,
Old 08-29-08, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
You're listening to too much Limbaugh, buddy.
Old 08-29-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pakistan is where the Taliban retreat to--unlike Iraq. Pakistan is where Al Qaeda has been retreating to ever since 9/11--unlike Iraq.

Whose the idiot regarding foreign policy.
Old 08-29-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really feel that McCain was banking on the stupidity and cow-like swayability of uninformed voters with this pick. So this question really hinges on how stupid we are as a country. I'm choosing Biden as the only choice that makes any kind of sense in a sane world, but I would never over-estimate the American voter.
So those who like McCain's ticket are stupid and uninformed cows, and choosing otherwise means you are insane.
And then when someone challenges, you resort to Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Dobbs, etc.
Seriously, wtf?
Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
blah blah blah
So we can fix posts here now too?
Old 08-29-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1. Don't listen to Limbaugh.

2. As you can see by DVDPolizei, he thinks that Obama wants to chase the Talis and AQ into Pakistan.

3. The moment you overtly put boots on the ground in another country, its an invasion. At that point, you better have the balls to carry it all the way through.

4. If you don't think we're putting covert teams in Pakistan, you're dim.

But please, keep up the rah-rah. Its comedy gold.
Old 08-29-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Pakistan is where the Taliban retreat to--unlike Iraq. Pakistan is where Al Qaeda has been retreating to ever since 9/11--unlike Iraq.

Whose the idiot regarding foreign policy.
The one who doesn't know the proper way to use a contraction?
Old 08-29-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The one who doesn't know the proper way to use a contraction?
You listen to too much Chomsky, buddy.
Old 08-29-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hillary Clinton on Sarah Palin:

“We should all be proud of Governor Sarah Palin's historic nomination, and I congratulate her and Senator McCain," Clinton, the first woman to win a presidential primary, said in the statement. "While their policies would take America in the wrong direction, Governor Palin will add an important new voice to the debate.”
Old 08-29-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
You listen to too much Chomsky, buddy.
What can I say, I'm a dyed in the wool commie. You've found me out, comrade.
Old 08-29-08, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post

So we can fix posts here now too?

Post fixing is when you modify a word or two to make the original statement read differently (usually done in a manner to make it agree more w/ your POV and typically less w/ the original poster's intentions). IMHO "blah blah blah" was more of a commentary than a "post fix". Not a very constructive one, but one that as of now is still allowed. If this becomes a problem maybe we'll have to rethink that position.
Old 08-29-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Stop fighting, my sexy Babushkas.
Old 08-29-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

1. Don't listen to Limbaugh.

2. As you can see by DVDPolizei, he thinks that Obama wants to chase the Talis and AQ into Pakistan.

3. The moment you overtly put boots on the ground in another country, its an invasion. At that point, you better have the balls to carry it all the way through.

4. If you don't think we're putting covert teams in Pakistan, you're dim.

But please, keep up the rah-rah. Its comedy gold.
I'm confused. You say #2, then confirm what I said in #4?

Is that you McCain? Speak up, man!
Old 08-29-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what exactly is remarkable? he attacked the idea of going to war in iraq when all seemed lost and everyone was trying to spin their vote on the war. everyone knew he was going to pick a white guy with beltway experience and he did. nothing remarkable about obama. not only did he pick a white guy, but this person plagiarized a speech and when you look at his reported net worth, it's a lot less than the total amount of money he made in senate salary. where did it all go?

his qualification is that he has enough management ability to build an amazing campaign from scratch and beat people with more experience than him. of course he had the no experience i'm for change thing going for him in a housing bubble bust year. just like 1990 everyone suddenly wants change when their home value plunges.

he is young and more hip than mccain and it made him a media darling. now mccain did him one better and suddenly the media has a new someone better to cover. if the republicans picked a snobby white guy like they usually do for VP mccain would have been toast. instead not only do they pick a woman, but you can't attack her on the usual democrat things like enviromentalism

i just spent 2 hours watching CNN hoping to catch a few highlights of last night's historic speech and all i see is Palin and James Carville not being able to say anything.

Last edited by al_bundy; 08-29-08 at 09:17 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.