Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next VP of the US, Biden or Palin? part III

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: So who will it be?
Joe Biden
52.24%
Sarah Palin
47.76%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Who will be the next VP of the US, Biden or Palin? part III

Old 08-30-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Instead of regurgitating Republican talking points, how about actually reading what I wrote? I ask if she is the most qualified/experienced woman in the Republican party to be VP. VP NOT President. So deflecting back to Obama and switching the context from VP to president simply illustrates that you believe that she is NOT the most qualified/experienced woman in the Republican party for VP.
I asked if you thought the VP nomination in any election was the most qualified/experienced to be the nominee. What do you think?

Even with the best VP nominee, I am sure there were more qualified.
Old 08-30-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
If you don't want to answer the question, then that is saying something. Why are Republicans having such a difficult time answering a very simple and direct question?

I asked if Sarah Palin is the most qualified/experience woman in the Republican party to be selected for VP. That is a comparative question. Compared to all of the other women in the Republican party. Or in other words...Is there another Republican woman that is MORE qualified/experienced than Sarah Palin to be VP?
Sorry, I was busy and forgot to hit the reply button. I don't know. Don't really follow Republican women. I am sure there are more qualified. But are there more charismatic and electable? That's what they care about, just like the Democrat party.

But you don't really think Obama is the most qualified Democrat, do you? I don't think he is even the most qualified black Democrat.
Old 08-30-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I think he is by definition of being the nominee.
So the most qualified is the one who gets elected?

I knew you were a secret Bush lover.
Old 08-30-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the question is "Is Sarah Palin the most qualified/experienced woman in the Republican Party to be VP?" I think you need to look at the other prominent females in the republican party:

US Senate:
Susan Collins - Maine
Libby Dole - North Carolina
Kay Bailey Hutchison - Texas
Lisa Murkowski - Alaska
Olympia Snowe - Maine

Governors:
Linda Lingle - Hawaii
Jodi Rell - Connecticut (acting governor)

Those are just the current female republican senators/governors. I haven't gone through to eliminate anyone who'd ineligible. And I don't feel like taking the time to go through the entire House of Representatives.

The current females in bush's cabinet:

Condi Rice
Mary Peters
Margaret Spellings
Elaine Chao - ineligible for the US Presidency.

Of those, the only name that really jumps out is Condi Rice.
Old 08-30-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also, another thought on Begala's (and others who are copying his talking points) freaking out about not having a say in McCain nominating Sarah Palin as VP, while he did have a say in Obama's primary election.

What about the cabinet positions? I'd argue that the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security and the Attorney General are just as or more important as the VP, but the general public never knows who those people will be until AFTER the election is over.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 08-30-08 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
If the question is "Is Sarah Palin the most qualified/experienced woman in the Republican Party to be VP?" I think you need to look at the other prominent females in the republican party:
But are they as hitable as Palin?
Old 08-30-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bwvanh114 View Post
But are they as hitable as Palin?
Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe?

No.

Collins

Snowe

Last edited by crazyronin; 08-30-08 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The Daily Kos wingnuts are really going into overdrive:

The evidence is that Palin didn't look pregnant three months before she gave birth, and her daughter was out of school for a few months, supposedly for mono. I really hope they follow through on this, and encourage the mainstream media to pick up on it -- because there's nothing that could drive voters away from Obama than his supporters attacking the daughter of his opponent with unfounded charges. Keep it up, wingnuts!

Maybe they saw this picture. It's only listed as "Palin family 2007".

CAUTION: large photo

http://gov.state.ak.us/photos/PalinF...utside_v01.jpg
Old 08-30-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Bah, that's politics. Obama is all about change and he goes with Biden? What kind of change is that?

I agree that it is a valid point that you make, I just don't think it actually means anything in terms of how the race will go. I don't see the Dems decideing to pounce on the experience argument as a result. And I don't see anyone else caring much about a VP choice. Just like I don't think taking Biden does any damage to the idea of "change."
Did you expect Obama to pick Whoopi Goldberg? I didn't. I'm not sure what kind of "change" you were thinking of.

McCain was supposed to be the candidate who choose wisely. Yet he seems to be the one who out-gambled Obama by a long shot. Just who the fuck is Sarah Palin...is the question many Republicans are having to deal with.

Sarah Palin, in her own words, from the Alaskan Governor's website says..."As the mother of five, I know how to multi-task". Well, that's great if McCain was running for an administrative position at a day care center, but I thought this was about something a little more important.

Sarah Palin's experience? Well, McCain figured he could lower the bar a few hundred feet below Obama's Experience Bar I suppose. Because at least Obama has experience and familiarity in many issues, but more importantly, has actually been a part of a major city environment, and knows how to grasp large city needs. Sarah doesn't seem to have as much experience with big city issues.

Unfortunately, while I think Sarah appears to be a great representative for Alaska, has some deserved dedication to her state, McCain basically screwed her political career by this little stunt. She's now going to have a lot more scrutiny for quite some time, and I feel sorry for her in a lot of ways.

But this choice is not really about Sarah. It's about McCain's thought processes. He apparently doesn't have any. He was desperate. I'm sure he had some help (Karl's not out of the picture I'm sure), but regardless, McCain approved it. Some might say if he's as wreckless with decisions like this when he gets in office...maybe he shouldn't be in such an office he is running for.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-30-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
The Daily Kos wingnuts are really going into overdrive:

The evidence is that Palin didn't look pregnant three months before she gave birth, and her daughter was out of school for a few months, supposedly for mono. I really hope they follow through on this, and encourage the mainstream media to pick up on it -- because there's nothing that could drive voters away from Obama than his supporters attacking the daughter of his opponent with unfounded charges. Keep it up, wingnuts!
Who's the nutball. Palin is Pro-Life. I seriously doubt you will have legions of Democratic women flocking to Palin's defense.
Old 08-30-08, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Some might say.....

And it will be the same ones that have always said, "McCain's the only Republican I could ever vote for, but he wouldn't ever win the nomination because he is not in tune with the rest of them."

Hey, it is all just politics, but forgive me if I don't buy the rationale of one side that won't apply it to their side as well. Just as the Republicans made a big deal about experience, now the Democrats are. Yeah, these parties are so different, I see why people pick sides.
Old 08-30-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Maybe they saw this picture. It's only listed as "Palin family 2007".

CAUTION: large photo

http://gov.state.ak.us/photos/PalinF...utside_v01.jpg
Obviously a professionally done photo, but they are a good looking family.
Old 08-30-08, 05:45 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
They are blocking the scenery!
Old 08-30-08, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you expect Obama to pick Whoopi Goldberg? I didn't. I'm not sure what kind of "change" you were thinking of.
I was thinking he'd nominate a Washington outsider, someone who wasn't a 35 year Senator. I was thinking he'd nominate someone who didn't support the the war with Iraq, who didn't say that Saddam was a threat to US National Security and needed to be "eliminated."

If McCain's choice of Palin is "puzzling," then Obama's choice of Biden is also strange.
Old 08-30-08, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Note the oldest daughter on the far right.

Maybe just well fed?
Old 08-30-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McCain was supposed to be the candidate who choose wisely. Yet he seems to be the one who out-gambled Obama by a long shot. Just who the fuck is Sarah Palin...is the question many Republicans are having to deal with.

Sarah Palin, in her own words, from the Alaskan Governor's website says..."As the mother of five, I know how to multi-task". Well, that's great if McCain was running for an administrative position at a day care center, but I thought this was about something a little more important.

Sarah Palin's experience? Well, McCain figured he could lower the bar a few hundred feet below Obama's Experience Bar I suppose. Because at least Obama has experience and familiarity in many issues, but more importantly, has actually been a part of a major city environment, and knows how to grasp large city needs. Sarah doesn't seem to have as much experience with big city issues.

Unfortunately, while I think Sarah appears to be a great representative for Alaska, has some deserved dedication to her state, McCain basically screwed her political career by this little stunt. She's now going to have a lot more scrutiny for quite some time, and I feel sorry for her in a lot of ways.

But this choice is not really about Sarah. It's about McCain's thought processes. He apparently doesn't have any. He was desperate. I'm sure he had some help (Karl's not out of the picture I'm sure), but regardless, McCain approved it. Some might say if he's as wreckless with decisions like this when he gets in office...maybe he shouldn't be in such an office he is running for.
Thatís, like, your opinion man.

Seriously though, you think it's a bad choice because of your political views and picking her is reckless. I think voting for Obama is reckless and the height of stupidity. They're just opinions.

I personally think she is a great choice and has made me a bit happier (and more confident of McCain's win).
Old 08-30-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Note the oldest daughter on the far right.

Maybe just well fed?

I'll let you know after Obama produces a copy of his birth certificate with an official seal on it.
Old 08-30-08, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dimension X View Post

That, and two rich white dudes on the ticket doesn't exactly scream "change we can believe in."

So obama being black automatically changes things? The mind and beliefs of someone is more important than color of skin.

So you've automatically decided that Obama will be president? Do you have a magic ball that predicts the fututre? We dont know who will be the next president.

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I was thinking he'd nominate a Washington outsider, someone who wasn't a 35 year Senator. I was thinking he'd nominate someone who didn't support the the war with Iraq, who didn't say that Saddam was a threat to US National Security and needed to be "eliminated."

If McCain's choice of Palin is "puzzling," then Obama's choice of Biden is also strange.
I see this as a good thing. Having the president and vp with a different view on things is essential. What if we shared the same ideas and political views. Debate would be dead.
Old 08-30-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, that DEFINITELY looks like a baby bump on the daughter in that photo. I think it's feasible it's the kid's kid. Wouldn't make a difference on who Palin is as a person.
Old 08-30-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is anyone else getting a creepy vibe from the smallest daughter in that photo?
Old 08-30-08, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Wow, that DEFINITELY looks like a baby bump on the daughter in that photo. I think it's feasible it's the kid's kid. Wouldn't make a difference on who Palin is as a person.
it's a fupa. not a baby bump.
Old 08-30-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've learned so many acronyms because of this election PUMA, CAFE, DOMA, FUPA, and the list goes on and on.

And that is NOT a FUPA. It's not in the nether land, it's in the uterus area.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 08-30-08 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-30-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget VPILF! I had to look up fupa. I'm so out of the loop.
Old 08-30-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

VPILF I figured out all by myself
Old 08-30-08, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
Is anyone else getting a creepy vibe from the smallest daughter in that photo?
Her in a few years:

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.