Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Does anyone think this House Republican "protest" session will actually do anything?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Do you think this protest session will really accomplish anything?
Yes, it'll help the Reps make the point they are trying to make
21.43%
Yes but it'll help the Dems more than the Reps
0%
No, neither side is going to gain anything by this
28.57%
Noone is really paying attention to it anyway
35.71%
Other (please explain)
14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Does anyone think this House Republican "protest" session will actually do anything?

Old 08-15-08, 09:11 AM

I'm sure most people here know about this, just in case there is a random news article about this below. I think it's pretty obvious at this point the likelihood of the House actually coming back into session is pretty slim, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure that's what the Reps really want anyway (in some ways I think they prefer to not have the session so they can keep this protest up). So it really seems to have come down to the two sides playing a game of chicken to see who flinches first. My question is does anyone really think this is going to make a difference either way? Are enough people going to be swayed by this move to vote Rep this fall? Are people going to think the Reps are just playing games and be turned off by the whole thing and vote Dem? Does anyone really care, or paying attention in the first place?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...WS01/308130085
WASHINGTON – Ohio Reps. Pat Tiberi, Bob Latta and Steve Chabot joined a small group of fellow Republicans on the House floor this week to protest Congress’ lack of action on energy legislation.
Advertisement

“Democrats say, ‘All Republicans want is drilling.’ That’s not true,” said Tiberi, of Genoa Township, who flew in to Washington on Wednesday morning and planned to return home later the same day. “We want a comprehensive energy production bill.”

Latta, of Bowling Green, participated in the protest Tuesday, arguing that the country can’t afford to wait another day to pass an energy bill.

“The time to act is now, and we will continue our protest until comprehensive energy legislation is passed,” Latta said.

Republicans are upset that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., adjourned the chamber without allowing a vote on their energy bill, which would lift a federal ban on oil exploration in offshore areas and in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, a move they claim could reduce soaring gas prices. They want Pelosi to call the House back in special session to vote on the bill.

They have staged a protest – a sit-in, so to speak, with speeches, charts and pleas to tourists for action – at the Capitol every working day since the House adjourned Aug. 1 for its month-long recess.

“We’ve had between a dozen and two-dozen members there every day,” House Republican Leader John Boehner said during a radio interview Wednesday morning.

The West Chester Republican was there himself Friday.

“The whole floor was packed, the gallery was packed. Just ordinary Americans who go to take part in what really is an historic occasion,” he said. “This has never happened before.”

The floor is usually devoid of spectators, who aren’t allowed in when the House is in session. But for the last week, it has been full of tourists ushered in by GOP lawmakers seeking an audience for their speeches.

Chabot, who flew to Washington on Tuesday to spend two days participating in the protest, brought his own prop: a stack of 55 gas station receipts. He flipped through the stack and held it aloft as he urged the 100 or so people seated throughout the cavernous House chamber to call their lawmakers and ask for a vote on the energy bill.

“These are from people back home in Cincinnati that agree that gas prices are too high and they want us to do something about it,” he said.

Democrats argue that oil companies already own leases on millions of acres that they have not touched and say that opening up additional drilling spots wouldn’t make much of a difference in gas prices.

Still, Pelosi said on CNN on Monday night that she would consider a vote if it were part of a larger package, a statement that the GOP lawmakers pointed to as evidence that their protest is working.

“Her members are hearing from people, ‘What’s going on with you guys? Why did you leave town without a vote?’” Tiberi said. “Us being here highlights that.”

Tiberi described being peppered with questions three days straight at the Hartford Fair in Ohio last week.

“I had people asking me, ‘Do you support drilling? Why haven’t you voted on drilling?’ The word has gotten out,” he said.

But for the most part, the melee is out of public view. No cameras are allowed on the House floor and the C-SPAN video cameras that usually record House proceedings have been turned off since Pelosi adjourned the session.

Rep. Jean Schmidt of Miami Township planned to take part in the protest Thursday, spokesman Bruce Pfaff said.
Old 08-15-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief this stuff is ridiculous.

The Democrats have NOTHING on the largest problem our nation has.

And the Republicans have a moronic 'gimmick' that appeals to the poorly informed, which is most in the US I'll grant you.

It's inconceivable... and I do know what that word means.

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 08-15-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-15-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything other than business is usual works for me, but no one is going to pay attention.
Old 08-15-08, 09:37 AM

I don't think it will actually accomplish anything, at least as far as policy is concerned. It's a political move. Tiberi, BTW, is my representative, although I've never heard of Genoa Township.
Old 08-15-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

It would be nice to have an actual energy policy, but I don't think anyone will pay attention.
Old 08-15-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has any protest of any type actually done anything, other than annoy people?
Old 08-15-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

There is a chance that the House will pass meaningful energy legislation.

Obviously it fail in the senate, because there's more than 40 senators tied to the apron strings of the extreme environmentalists.

As far as it being 'a political move,' all attempts at legislation are political moves.
Old 08-15-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, it won't accomplish anything... but it's the thought that counts.
Old 08-15-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Do anything....as in "with voters?"

Hell no.
Old 08-15-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Obviously it fail in the senate, because there's more than 40 senators tied to the apron strings of the extreme environmentalists.
I'm curious, and maybe the answer is obvious (since Congress caters so much to them), but are there really THAT many enviro-whackos? I'm sure a lot of it is where I live, but it just seems like 99.9% of the people I know think the agenda of these environmentalists, which Congress seems to overwhelmingly agree with, is ridiculous. Even most residents of Madison, which is near me, don't seem to be as crazy as some of the things Congress stands up for.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil?
Old 08-15-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aktick, it's time for a visit to the great northwest.
Old 08-15-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Aktick, it's time for a visit to the great northwest.
lol, is it THAT bad? Madison is sort of the San Francisco of the midwest, and while probably 10-15% of them are batshit crazy, most are just your typical liberals. I shiver at the thought of someplace being a lot worse.
Old 08-15-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
lol, is it THAT bad? Madison is sort of the San Francisco of the midwest, and while probably 10-15% of them are batshit crazy, most are just your typical liberals. I shiver at the thought of someplace being a lot worse.
Many people in WA and OR have switched to absentee ballots simply because the environmentalists pushed through a bill where you literally have to hug a tree before entering the polling places. It's to thank the trees for their sacrifice, due to the mandatory paper backup ballots.
Old 08-15-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by aktick View Post
I'm curious, and maybe the answer is obvious (since Congress caters so much to them), but are there really THAT many enviro-whackos? I'm sure a lot of it is where I live, but it just seems like 99.9% of the people I know think the agenda of these environmentalists, which Congress seems to overwhelmingly agree with, is ridiculous. Even most residents of Madison, which is near me, don't seem to be as crazy as some of the things Congress stands up for.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil?
There are a lot in the NW. And they come from all walks of life, and most are people you wouldn't expect. It is ingrained into people around here.
Old 08-15-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Unfortunately, my party (Democrat) is the party that is most tied to the radical environmentalists.
Old 08-15-08, 12:34 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

It won't do anything because we have Lindsey Gramnesty and his idiot repub buddies compromising to end a winning issue. The national leadership in the GOP has shown no leadership in this. They can nationalize this issue.