Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2008 Presidential election version 22.0, now with infanticide!

Old 08-12-08, 08:14 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
2008 Presidential election version 22.0, now with infanticide!

Go for it.

old thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=536414

Last edited by Venusian; 08-12-08 at 08:56 AM.
Venusian is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 08:20 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Oh... my... Obama. I about fell out of my chair with the latest McCain ad.

The Obama Fan Club.

You guys are going to love this!
http://www.johnmccain.com/involving/...7-d83dee46c731

It actually made me laugh. Not that I agree with the approach.

The one redeeming factor that video has is that its a web ad. I expect those to be crappier than actual tv ads
Venusian is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 09:09 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,400
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Oh... my... Obama. I about fell out of my chair with the latest McCain ad.

The Obama Fan Club.

You guys are going to love this!
http://www.johnmccain.com/involving/...7-d83dee46c731

It actually made me laugh. Not that I agree with the approach.
I thought that it was pretty funny too. The only think missing was a classic shot of a Marcia Brady looking upward in a dreamy gaze.

I don't agree with the approach either, but if polls over the last few weeks are an accurate reflection of things then this approach seems to be working. I think ads like this help fuel Obama-fatigue. Within a few weeks, people will be "Obama-ed out".
sracer is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 09:40 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,079
Originally Posted by sracer
I don't agree with the approach either, but if polls over the last few weeks are an accurate reflection of things then this approach seems to be working.
Polls the last few weeks have been fairly steady.

I think ads like this help fuel Obama-fatigue. Within a few weeks, people will be "Obama-ed out".
I think most people aren't paying that much attention yet.
JasonF is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 09:44 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by JasonF
I think most people aren't paying that much attention yet.
Have you gone mad?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 09:54 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Isn't it true that the average voter (i.e. people that don't care very much about politics) don't start paying attention to an election until about a month beforehand?
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 09:59 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,079
Tracer's exactly right. Compare the number of people who post in a thread like this with the number of people who post in the main forum, or Otter. And even then, the fact that we're all on the internet and have coherent discussions on a message board indicates we're above-average in terms of sophistication. Most people are aware of the big-deal stuff but they are not paying attention to every little twist and turn the campaigns make.
JasonF is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:01 AM
  #8  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Sal
Posts: 32,279
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Have you gone mad?
Originally Posted by JasonF
And even then, the fact that we're all on the internet and have coherent discussions on a message board indicates we're above-average in terms of sophistication.
Res ipsa loquitur
wendersfan is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:02 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,487
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Isn't it true that the average voter (i.e. people that don't care very much about politics) don't start paying attention to an election until about a month beforehand?

Your average undecided voter, probably.

As for others who aren't paying attention, they either reflexively vote party line or aren't voters.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:06 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,487
Originally Posted by JasonF
Polls the last few weeks have been fairly steady.

The gambling community hasn't been. Same with the prediction market.

Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:44 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,515
Originally Posted by Red Dog
The gambling community hasn't been. Same with the prediction market.

wishbone is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:48 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,487
Shows up for me.

In words, McCain traded at 31 three weeks ago. Now he trades at 38.

I posted the sizeable change in odds in the previous thread and I'm sure as hell not posting that only to have someone ask for an explanation of what it means again.

Last edited by Red Dog; 08-12-08 at 10:51 AM.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 10:56 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Did you guys miss out on the Democratic Primary circus?

People are keeping a closer eye on this election and earlier on. Even your "average" people are talking about it over coffee. Prices on gas and at the grocery store are a big reason, as is the unlikely contender Obama's presence on the stage (for better or for worse).

I will gladly agree that in August, not too many people had tuned in to Bush v. Kerry relatively speaking. We had an incumbent and someone entirely uninteresting. It was still considered a critical election by most, but there wasn't all that much going on with the exception of the moveon Dean supporters, anti-war, etc.. Things didn't pick up until after the conventions, which is probably typical.

I would venture a guess that this time around there are 10, maybe 20 times as many people interested on August 12 with strong opinions already developing. I doubt you could find a person on the street (that doesn't live there) that could not give you their opinion on Barack H. Obama. Not so with Kerry 4 years ago.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:19 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,513
Now I'm hearing that people are making an issue of Obma's formative pre-teen years being spent in another country, making him "less" less of an American...
slop101 is online now  
Old 08-12-08, 11:34 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,079
Originally Posted by slop101
Now I'm hearing that people are making an issue of Obma's formative pre-teen years being spent in another country, making him "less" less of an American...
Cokie Roberts criticized Senator Obama for spending his vacation in exotic and foreign-sounding Hawaii instead of going to Myrtle Beach (which prompted an angry press release from Senator Akaka). Which raises a very real and important question: who the hell is stupid enough to pay Cokie Roberts to spout insane shit like this on TV and the radio?
JasonF is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:34 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by slop101
Now I'm hearing that people are making an issue of Obma's formative pre-teen years being spent in another country, making him "less" less of an American...
Define "people making an issue." Are you referring to the recently published Clinton campaign strategy against Obama that was abandoned?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:49 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,513
Just that they're trying to paint him in an un-patriotic light. Which will actually work for some voters, as he doesn't look like nor have a name that sounds like their neighbor's.
slop101 is online now  
Old 08-12-08, 11:50 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,563
The new Fan Club ad is pretty idiotic. I honestly can't believe that this is an ad for the position of the President of the United States of America. It looks like something my high school class secretary would have made in iMovie.

McCain continues to do an excellent job reminding me why, even though I'm no huge Obama supporter, he's just more poison for this country, and I'm not going to give him my vote.

The tax hike on families making $42,000 is a straight, bold-faced lie. I think it's disgusting that not only is McCain putting out juvinile ads in what is a difficult and complex time for America and the world, but also has no problem lying to voters faces. Just what we need after the last 8 years.

The ad also goes to great lengths mocking the people it shows talking about Obama. Hello, those are voters - the people John McCain hopes to represent. Real classy.

John McCain's service to this country is his only honorable trait. Sad, considering most people I've talked to who plan to vote for him consistently speak so highly of his character. I often wonder if we're talking about the same person.
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:56 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,563
Originally Posted by JasonF
Cokie Roberts criticized Senator Obama for spending his vacation in exotic and foreign-sounding Hawaii instead of going to Myrtle Beach (which prompted an angry press release from Senator Akaka). Which raises a very real and important question: who the hell is stupid enough to pay Cokie Roberts to spout insane shit like this on TV and the radio?
"Now, I know Obama's grandmother and sister lives there, and he spent a part of his childhood growing up there, and Hawaii is a state, but I think it's really wrong of him to go on vacation there."



I can't believe people get payed to spew sewege like this.

Last edited by Nausicaa; 08-12-08 at 11:59 AM.
Nausicaa is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:56 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Shows up for me.
Hit Ctrl-F5 and see what you get then.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:57 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Nausicaa, I agree with all your points. With the exception of how to vote.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:59 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Anyone criticizing Obama for vacationing in Hawaii is a complete idiot.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 11:59 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by sracer
I don't agree with the approach either, but if polls over the last few weeks are an accurate reflection of things then this approach seems to be working. I think ads like this help fuel Obama-fatigue. Within a few weeks, people will be "Obama-ed out".
Until the backlash against the backlash begins.

People love to root for the underdog. When Obama's on TV in front of a million Germans, poor little McCain in the grocery store becomes the underdog. Favor shifts his way. After weeks of anti-Obama ads making Obama seem silly for having done it while McCain points and laughs, favor will shift Obama's way again.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 08-12-08, 12:04 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
Silly question, but when is the last time the less attractive candidate won the election?
Carter?
starman9000 is online now  
Old 08-12-08, 12:08 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,400
Originally Posted by Nausicaa
The new Fan Club ad is pretty idiotic. I honestly can't believe that this is an ad for the position of the President of the United States of America. It looks like something my high school class secretary would have made in iMovie.

McCain continues to do an excellent job reminding me why, even though I'm no huge Obama supporter, he's just more poison for this country, and I'm not going to give him my vote.
Yep, McCain isn't a good choice for President.

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
The ad also goes to great lengths mocking the people it shows talking about Obama. Hello, those are voters - the people John McCain hopes to represent. Real classy.
Those people SHOULD be mocked and ridiculed. If they are enamored with Obama's "dreamy eyes" and how he delivers a speech rather than the substance of his character and abilities then they deserve to be poked fun at for the bubble-headed boobs that they are.



Originally Posted by Nausicaa
John McCain's service to this country is his only honorable trait. Sad, considering most people I've talked to who plan to vote for him consistently speak so highly of his character. I often wonder if we're talking about the same person.
There is a (very small) segment of voters who DO care about character. But because the candidates are so void of integrity and have poor character those voters are straining to find some semblance of integrity in a candidate's life... no matter how far in the distant past it is.
sracer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.