Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Cuban Missle Crisis Part 2?

Old 07-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cuban Missle Crisis Part 2?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072200062.html

MOSCOW, July 21 -- Russian bombers capable of carrying nuclear weapons could be deployed to Cuba in response to U.S. plans to install a missile defense system in Eastern Europe, a Russian newspaper reported Monday, citing an unnamed senior Russian air force official.

The report in Izvestia, which could not be confirmed, prompted memories of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, when the United States and the Soviet Union came to the brink of nuclear war after Nikita Khrushchev put nuclear missiles on the Caribbean island. The weapons were eventually withdrawn in an apparent Soviet climb-down, but President John F. Kennedy also secretly agreed to remove U.S. missiles from Turkey.

A spokesman for the Russian Defense Ministry declined to comment on the report Monday, but did not deny it. Izvestia is often a forum for strategic leaks by Kremlin and other officials.

"While they are deploying the missile shield in Poland and the Czech Republic, our strategic bombers will already be landing in Cuba," Izvestia quoted the source as saying.

It was unclear if the source was suggesting that Russia would reopen a base in Cuba or merely use an airfield there for stopovers by the bombers, Tu-160s and Tu-95s, which are already capable of reaching the United States from bases in Russia.

Russian strategic bombers, long mothballed, resumed worldwide patrols last year under orders from then-President Vladimir Putin. The flights have continued under his successor, Dmitry Medvedev.

Aircraft from the NATO alliance have repeatedly scrambled as the bombers approached but did not enter the airspace of alliance countries. The Russian bombers also buzzed low over the USS Nimitz, an American aircraft carrier, in the Pacific Ocean this year.

Some Russian experts dismissed the possibility of a new Cuban crisis. "It's very silly psychological warfare," said Alexander Golts, an independent military analyst, in a telephone interview. "Putin and Medvedev are very militant in words but very cautious in practical issues. They have not taken any step that can be seen as a real threat to the West, and I cannot see any reason to raise this threat against the U.S."

Scary scenario. I don't think we'd allow it. Will we cave on the missle shield in Europe?
Old 07-24-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another reason to vote for Obama. As if Iran is going to launch missiles at Belgium.
Old 07-24-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How would Obama help the situation? Is he against the missles in Europe?
Old 07-24-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-24-08, 03:30 PM
Banned

Yeah, because Obama will stand up to the Russians....
LMFAO

They couldn't get aircraft near Cuba, imo, we wouldn't let them.
Old 07-24-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
He is a citizen of the world. Nobody would dare use scare tactics against a citizen of the world. Plus, everyone would love us!
He can deflect incoming missles with his incredible brain powers!

.. and McCain is old.
Old 07-24-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian
How would Obama help the situation? Is he against the missles in Europe?
He's definitely not for it. It's a silly concept which is just causing more problems than it is solving.
Old 07-24-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are these the old turboprop bombers? I'm sure our modern fighters could slow down to engage them if they slammed on their air brakes.

These aren't exactly stealth bombers. Much less of a worry than missiles in the Cuban Missile crisis.
Old 07-24-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114
He's definitely not for it. It's a silly concept which is just causing more problems than it is solving.
got a link for that?
Old 07-24-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

barackobama.com: "He has called for continuing U.S. cooperation with Israel in the development of missile defense systems."

Obama: "If we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies we should but only when the system works. We need to make sure any missile defense system would be effective before deployment. "

Obama: "I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems."

So... hard to say.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 07-24-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-24-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

His position is pretty much exactly what he says. He is for helping Israel defend themselves (where the actual risk lies) and is open to limited defenses elsewhere.
Old 07-24-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no linky?
Old 07-24-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So is he against missile defense in Europe?
Old 07-24-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I found this but its more commentary...http://blog.washingtonpost.com/early..._defenses.html
Old 07-24-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
barackobama.com: "He has called for continuing U.S. cooperation with Israel in the development of missile defense systems."

Obama: "If we can responsibly deploy missile defenses that would protect us and our allies we should but only when the system works. We need to make sure any missile defense system would be effective before deployment. "

Obama: "I will cut tens of billions of dollars in wasteful spending. I will cut investments in unproven missile defense systems. I will not weaponize space. I will slow our development of future combat systems."

So... hard to say.
So Bush is for a missile defense system that may or may not work (meaning it may or may not kill people), but Obama is only for one that will definitely work (meaning it will definitely kill people)? Obama the war monger, who knew?!
Old 07-24-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by aktick
So Bush is for a missile defense system that may or may not work (meaning it may or may not kill people), but Obama is only for one that will definitely work (meaning it will definitely kill people)? Obama the war monger, who knew?!
Missile defenses kill missiles, not people. Of course, if they fail to kill missiles, then the missiles kill people.
(and our response will leave a glassy plain.)
Old 07-24-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Missiles don't kill people! People kill people!

Sorry....had to be done.
Old 07-24-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude
Missile defenses kill missiles, not people. Of course, if they fail to kill missiles, then the missiles kill people.
(and our response will leave a glassy plain.)
But that ruins my argument! I'm sticking with my explanation.
Old 07-24-08, 08:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

This doesn't seem like such a big deal. A couple of out dated turboprops in Cuba is not the same as a bunch of ICBM's pointed at Washington and NY. Sounds like bluster more than anything else.
Old 07-24-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

we should stop this BS embargo against Cuba so i can get my damn cigarettes and R&J stuff easier...

it's so ridiculous after all these years...

remember Tampa Nugget?... man those were the days back then, those people didn't know how good they had it...
Old 07-24-08, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been on the fence lately about the missile defense. Yes, I want it here, but Bush's policy seems to be about planting the system all over the planet except for Latin America, Russia, and the Midest sans Israel.

edit: I do wish Russia wouldn't be so opposed to the system, though.
Old 07-24-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
After some lean years, I think Russia is looking at Eastern Europe as it's 'sandbox' again. They're none too happy we're setting up shop.
Old 07-25-08, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
I've been on the fence lately about the missile defense. Yes, I want it here, but Bush's policy seems to be about planting the system all over the planet except for Latin America, Russia, and the Midest sans Israel.

It's MUCH better to catch the missile is launch. It has limited fuel, HAS to get up, and can do nothing to hide its hot ass which you can fly up. Destruction guarenteed. A cold, ballistic missile can deploy chafe and fake you out.

Also, the Airborne Laser (if it ever fits in the plane, so it can fly) needs to get missiles in launch phase.

So you want to be close to the source. Canada and Mexico are almost as unlikely to attack us as we are to attack ourselves.
Old 07-25-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I almost feel unpatriotic saying this, but I actually wouldn't blame the Russians if they did this. They'd be justified.
Old 07-25-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I almost feel unpatriotic saying this, but I actually wouldn't blame the Russians if they did this. They'd be justified.
Will you explain the comment 'they'd be justified?'

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.