Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Chicago suburb bans "saggy pants"

Old 07-20-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Chicago suburb bans "saggy pants"

I think that people that wear this look really stupid. Last I checked, however, looking stupid isn't again the law. They are still clothed. I question the legality of this ban.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080720/D921IS1G0.html

LYNWOOD, Ill. (AP) - Be careful if you have saggy pants in the south Chicago suburb of Lynwood. Village leaders have passed an ordinance that would levy $25 fines against anyone showing three inches or more of their underwear in public.

Eugene Williams is the mayor of Lynwood. He says young men walk around town half-dressed, keeping major retailers and economic development away. He calls the new law a hot topic.

The American Civil Liberties Union says the ordinance targets young men of color.

Young adults in the village, like 21-year-old Joe Klomes, say the new law infringes on their personal style. He says leaders should instead spend money on making the area look nicer.
Well they ARE trying to make it look nicer by banning the stupid saggy pants thing! Also.. targeting men of color? Please. I see white kids in my area "sporting" the style every now and then. I guess I missed where in this ban they are exempted?
Old 07-20-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

This isn't the only municipality that tried this.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....gy#post8799179
Old 07-20-08, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Oops thanks RD.
Old 07-20-08, 11:26 PM

How does a bunch of teenagers looking like idiots keep "major retailers and economic development away"? I call it free entertainment.
Old 07-21-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hear the ACLU knocking on the door.
Old 07-21-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How exactly does the courts strike something down like this? Can they just read the newspaper and see that this law was passed and say "uh ... no." or does somebody have to bring forth a lawsuit?
Old 07-21-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk God

A plaintiff challenging the statute would need standing - there has to be a 'case or controversy.' In laymen's terms, someone who has been cited for violating the statute (the plaintiff has been 'injured') can challenge the constitutionality of the statute.
Old 07-21-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the local teens were smart, they'd collectively wear nothing but banana hammocks around town.
Old 07-21-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wewantflair
If the local teens were smart, they'd collectively wear nothing but banana hammocks around town.
There is nothing....NOTHING smart about banana hammocks.

--

The saggy pants style started in prison, moved out to urban areas, and was proliferated through the culture from there. I don't know about you, but anything that works against gang influenced culture is A-OKAY in my book.
Old 07-21-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk God

If local teens were smart, they wouldn't be wearing baggy pants.
Old 07-21-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by JOE29
I hear the ACLU knocking on the door.
Then it's time to detonate that anti-personnel mine I put under the welcome mat!
Old 07-21-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
A plaintiff challenging the statute would need standing - there has to be a 'case or controversy.' In laymen's terms, someone who has been cited for violating the statute (the plaintiff has been 'injured') can challenge the constitutionality of the statute.
So, someone has to be charged with a crime, then they have to incur court fees?
Old 07-21-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
So, someone has to be charged with a crime, then they have to incur court fees?

I don't know about court fees, but there must be an 'injury' or a potential 'injury,' which would mean a fine or incarceration. Therefore, if the government were to drop all the charges in a case, then that would mean there can be no injury, and thus renders the case (and challenge to the law) moot and dead.
Old 07-21-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what I mean is ...

the government can pass a law like this, which seems very obvious to me that it's unconstitutional. and this law stands until someone gets charged with breaking it. nobody can "fight" this law until they've been charged with it.

so, somebody needs to be willing to get charged with this crime, and they need to be willing to take it to court, which would cost them $$$ (court and attorney fees). or does some larger organization with deeper pockets help the first "martyr" out?
Old 07-21-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Then it's time to detonate that anti-personnel mine I put under the welcome mat!

I agree. I think the ACLU is one of the leading causes of what is wrong with this country.
Old 07-21-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
what I mean is ...

the government can pass a law like this, which seems very obvious to me that it's unconstitutional. and this law stands until someone gets charged with breaking it. nobody can "fight" this law until they've been charged with it.

so, somebody needs to be willing to get charged with this crime, and they need to be willing to take it to court, which would cost them $$$ (court and attorney fees). or does some larger organization with deeper pockets help the first "martyr" out?

That's essentially correct. You'd see the ACLU, for example, work on behalf of a defendant on free speech (expression) issues.