Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

George W. Bush sewage treatment plant proposed.

Old 07-19-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

George W. Bush sewage treatment plant proposed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080718/...6Cul3HYPqs0NUE

"SAN FRANCISCO - A measure seeking to commemorate President Bush's years in office by slapping his name on a San Francisco sewage plant has qualified for the November ballot.

The measure certified Thursday would rename the Oceanside Water Pollution Control Plant the George W. Bush Sewage Plant.

Supporters say the idea is to commemorate the mess they claim Bush has left behind by actions such as the war in Iraq.

Local Republicans say the plan stinks and they will oppose it."
Being that it's in SF, I'd say it has a good chance of passing. Did any red states have their sex crimes unit buildings named after Clinton?
Old 07-19-08, 12:32 AM
Suspended

It'll be good for tourism.

The sewage plant will be the most visited in the world. Citizens having their pictures taken in front of the plaque.

E
Old 07-19-08, 12:34 AM
Suspended

Childish. Extremely childish.
Old 07-19-08, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Party pooper.
Old 07-19-08, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A sewage treatment plant takes shit from everybody but produces positive results, and makes life better for everyone downstream.

I don't think that's really the association they're looking for.
Old 07-19-08, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ron G
Perhaps they can get Fox News to provide photos of Bush to hang at the entrance.
Old 07-19-08, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a fitting tribute
Old 07-19-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
A sewage treatment plant takes shit from everybody but produces positive results, and makes life better for everyone downstream.

I don't think that's really the association they're looking for.
You must be referring to the Karl Rove Sewage Plant located further downstream, which is coincidentally and in no way related to, the GWB Sewage Plant.
Old 07-19-08, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ron G
I agree. The immaturity amazes me. This is something a group of teenagers getting high in their parents basement would come up with.
Old 07-19-08, 09:17 AM
X
Administrator

Also originally discussed here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8769830
Old 07-19-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Ah yes, Post #548 - How could I have missed that??
Old 07-19-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

This is similar to what the Rashneesh did back when their cult took over the town of Antelope. Oregon. This is standard MO for cults, so it isn't a surprise to see it happen in San Fran.
Old 07-19-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think it's a good idea. It gives everyone the opportunity, next time they're in San Francisco, to take a dump and legitimately exclaim, "eat my shit George Bush".
Old 07-19-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

If it was done as a joke with no intention of actually following through, I could laugh at it. But like most animal activists, hippies, etc. San Franscisco has no sense of humor and are doing this just out of bile.
Old 07-19-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I agree. The immaturity amazes me. This is something a group of teenagers getting high in their parents basement would come up with.
But quite harmless.

Anything harmless about what the Bush Administration has done over the years?
Old 07-19-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is really uncalled for.

What did sewage ever do to deserve being associated with George W. Bush?
Old 07-19-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So San Francisco wishes to insult GWB by naming the one thing that allows large groups of humans to dwell together without being decimated by waves of cholera and dysentery after him.

Stay classy and smart, City by the Bay.
Old 07-19-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If what you say is true, I'm sure GWB wouldn't have a problem with shit treatment plants being named after him all over the US.

I'm with you 100% on this one.

Let's spread the word on how being named after a plant which treats human waste, is actually something to brag about and deserves recognition.
Old 07-19-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
But quite harmless.

Anything harmless about what the Bush Administration has done over the years?
Hmmm... Those tax rebates in '01 and this year helped my family an awful lot. The tax cuts helped bump my take home pay enough to cover an extra couple of meals. That helped, so I guess you could say it was harmless.

Bush's Supreme Court nominees that were confirmed are a couple of good choices (I'll forgive the insane Harriet Miers nomination and pretend that it didn't happen since she's not on the court).

The invasion of Afghanistan is still almost universally accepted as a good thing - and a necessary thing.

Looks like he's not ALL bad after all...
Old 07-19-08, 07:27 PM
X
Administrator

Looks like the November ballot is going to be really interesting...

Prostitution measure makes in onto S.F. ballot

Erin Allday, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, July 19, 2008

A measure that would make it more difficult to investigate and punish prostitution crimes in San Francisco qualified for the November ballot on Friday, opening another passage in the city's long fight over decriminalizing the sex-trade industry.

Proponents of the measure were able to collect more than 12,000 signatures, including those from three members of the Board of Supervisors, to put it on the ballot, according to the Erotic Service Providers Union, the labor group backing the measure. The same group was unsuccessful in putting a similar measure on the ballot in 2006.

The measure would end San Francisco's First Offender Prostitution Program for men who have been arrested for soliciting a prostitute. Men who go to "john school," which was created in 1996, pay $1,000 and attend a class on prostitution in exchange for the district attorney's office dropping the misdemeanor charge against them.

Mayor Gavin Newsom this week said the measure would severely hamper the city's ability to investigate and prosecute sex-trafficking cases. According to the measure's wording, it would prohibit the city from spending money on sex-traffic investigations that involve racial profiling.

"It would make it very challenging to investigate and prosecute human trafficking," agreed San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris. "We need to use police resources to investigate where there is a suspicion that women and children, in particular immigrants, are being exploited.

"This measure is nothing more than a welcome mat for prostitutes and pimps to come and hang out in San Francisco," she said.

The main goal of decriminalization, proponents say, is the safety of prostitutes.

"Workers would like it if crimes like rape, robbery theft and coercion were vigorously investigated and prosecuted," Maxine Doogan, a founder of the Erotic Service Providers Union, wrote in an e-mail. "We want the right to make reports of crimes against us without being retaliated against by the Police Department."

The measure is hardly the first attempt to decriminalize prostitution in San Francisco. Terence Hallinan frequently supported decriminalization efforts during his tenure as district attorney and on the Board of Supervisors.

In April this year, Supervisor Jake McGoldrick, long in favor of decriminalization, requested an audit of the first offender program, questioning whether the program was worth supporting. A report by the U.S. Department of Justice this year found that men who participated in the program were 30 percent less likely to be rearrested for soliciting a prostitute than men who did not attend the class.

The program was born from San Francisco's Task Force on Prostitution, which was created in 1994 by the Board of Supervisors to consider revisions to prostitution laws and how the city enforces them. In 1996, the task force recommended that the city stop prosecuting prostitution crimes and instead focus on social services related to the sex trade.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics
I have no idea how this will turn out.
Old 07-19-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wabio
[url] Did any red states have their sex crimes unit buildings named after Clinton?
Why would they? Is consentual sex between adults a crime?
Old 07-19-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Bush's Supreme Court nominees that were confirmed are a couple of good choices.

I'm curious to know why you think so.
Old 07-20-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight

No. They should name the Ethics Department after him for that one.

But is lying to a grand jury still illegal?

The worst part about all this, it is just opens up additional license for the same type of stuff for Obama. Big tnet liberals bringing the world together, healing the nation, and putting the politics of destruction behind them.
Old 07-20-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The measure would end San Francisco's First Offender Prostitution Program for men who have been arrested for soliciting a prostitute. Men who go to "john school," which was created in 1996, pay $1,000 and attend a class on prostitution in exchange for the district attorney's office dropping the misdemeanor charge against them.
This is the softer law? What do they do now, cut their dicks off with a rusty steak knife?
Old 07-20-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight
Not to bring out the Clinton card, but he was accused of rape at least twice.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.