Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Michael Savage: Autism is a fraud, a racket

Old 07-18-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Savage: Autism is a fraud, a racket

And this guy continues to have millions of right wing listeners

On July 16, the No. 3 syndicated radio talk show host in the country, Michael Savage, made the following statement on autism:
"Now, you want me to tell you my opinion on autism? ... A fraud, a racket."
Savage went on to say:
Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is.
What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't sit there crying and screaming, idiot."
Autism -- everybody has an illness. If I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, "Don't behave like a fool." The worst thing he said -- "Don't behave like a fool. Don't be anybody's dummy. Don't sound like an idiot. Don't act like a girl. Don't cry." That's what I was raised with. That's what you should raise your children with. Stop with the sensitivity training. You're turning your son into a girl, and you're turning your nation into a nation of losers and beaten men. That's why we have the politicians we have.
During the same broadcast, Savage also attacked those in "the minority community" who suffer from asthma. He stated: "[W]hy was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I'll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], 'When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], "I don't know, the dust got me." ' See, everyone had asthma from the minority community."
Old 07-18-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He could have said something even crazier, like "vaccines cause autism".
Old 07-18-08, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Perhaps he is autistic. Explains a lot.

E
Old 07-18-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I tried to tell my autistic cousin to "walk it off", but he just wandered away.
Old 07-18-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well at least he didn't say ppl with Autism are nappy headed ho's...
Old 07-18-08, 02:33 PM

FWIW, it seems like Savage's shtick is to just insult as many people as possible on every show. He even insults his audience on a regular basis, but somehow they keep coming back for more abuse.
Old 07-18-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he's like Morton Downey Jr, just not as fun
Old 07-18-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Michael's real last name is Weiner.

kekeke
Old 07-18-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet

Obviously it isn't a fraud. His fringe reaction seems similar to those that go the other way, though (like the vaccines causing it). I've never listened to him, but isn't this his MO anyway?
Old 07-18-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like Ann Coulter and many other abrasive political personalities, Savage does not believe what he spews, and says it only because he is an attention whore. Just think about all the times Savage has inserted himself into the national scope. Each time has been for fucking insane comments. He seems to confuse relevance with infamy.
Old 07-18-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
If I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, "Don't behave like a fool." The worst thing he said -- "Don't behave like a fool. Don't be anybody's dummy. Don't sound like an idiot."
It appears that daddy has been out of the picture for too long.
Old 07-18-08, 03:31 PM
Political Exile

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/sowell071608.php3

July 16, 2008

Autism cures?

By Thomas Sowell

"New Ways to Diagnose Autism Earlier" read a recent headline in the Wall Street Journal. There is no question that you can diagnose anything as early as you want. The real question is whether the diagnosis will turn out to be correct.

My own awareness of how easy it is to make false diagnoses of autism grew out of experiences with a group of parents of late-talking children that I formed back in 1993.

A number of those children were diagnosed as autistic. But the passing years have shown most of the diagnoses to have been false, as most of these children have not only begun talking but have developed socially.

Some parents have even said, "Now I wish he would shut up."

I did absolutely nothing to produce these results. As a layman, I refused to diagnose these children, much less suggest any treatment, even though many parents wanted such advice.

As word of my group spread, various parents would write to ask if they could bring their child to me to seek my impression or advice. I declined every time.

Yet, if I had concocted some half-baked method of diagnosing and treating these children, I could now claim a high rate of success in "curing" autism, based on case studies. Perhaps my success rate would be as high as that claimed by various programs being touted in the media.

If a child is not autistic to begin with, almost anything will "cure" him with the passage of time.

My work brought me into contact with Professor Stephen Camarata of Vanderbilt University, who has specialized in the study of late-talking children-- and who is qualified to diagnose autism.

Professor Camarata has organized his own group of parents of late-talking children, which has grown to hundreds, as compared to the several dozen children in my group. Yet the kinds of children and the kinds of families are remarkably similar in the two groups, in ways spelled out in my book "The Einstein Syndrome."

The difference is that Professor Camarata is not a layman but a dedicated professional, with decades of experience-- and he too has expressed dismay at the number of false diagnoses of autism that he has encountered.

What Camarata has also encountered is something that I encountered in my smaller group-- parents who have been told to allow their child to be diagnosed as autistic, in order to become eligible for government money that is available, and can be used for speech therapy or whatever other treatment the child might need.

How much this may have contributed to the soaring statistics on the number of children diagnosed as autistic is something that nobody knows-- and apparently not many people are talking about it.

Another factor in the great increase in the number of children diagnosed as autistic is a growing practice of referring to children as being on "the autistic spectrum."

In other words, a child may not actually be autistic but has a number of characteristics common among autistic children. The problem with this approach is that lots of children who are not autistic have characteristics that are common among autistic children.

For example, a study of high-IQ children by Professor Ellen Winner of Boston College found these children to have "obsessive interests" and "often play alone and enjoy solitude," as well as being children who "seem to march to their own drummer" and have "prodigious memories." Many of the children in my group and in Professor Camarata's group have these characteristics.

Those who diagnose children by running down a checklist of "symptoms" can find many apparently "autistic" children or children on "the autism spectrum."

Parents need to be spared the emotional trauma of false diagnoses and children need to be spared stressful treatments that follow false diagnoses. Yet the "autism spectrum" concept provides lots of wiggle room for those who are making false diagnoses.

Real autism may not get as much money as it needs if much of that money is dissipated on children who are not in fact autistic. But money is money to those who are running research projects-- and a gullible media helps them get that money.
Old 07-18-08, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard it live when he was talking about it on the radio. It seemed to me that he was saying that the new trend of calling every behavior problem and quirk Autism now is a fraud (much like 95% of ADD diagnosis).

Obviously the traditional Rain Man like Autism is real.
Old 07-18-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk God

I wouldn't argue against the idea that it is likely over diagnosed, just like ADD, etc.
Old 07-18-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
ha ha an autism joke.
Old 07-18-08, 04:27 PM
Political Exile

I've been told that I have Asperger's, but I think I'm just a nerdy dork who's good at math and has no social skills.

Oh wait, that is Asperger's.
Old 07-18-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry, did another right wing dickhead say something idiotic for self aggrandizing purposes? I must have dozed off for a second.
Old 07-18-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Autism went from being a specific condition to a 'spectrum' of conditions.

And then vaccine wackos yelled "LOOK, THE NUMBER OF CASES ARE RISING!"
Old 07-18-08, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

His rants about autism and ADD are all about OVERMEDICATING OUR KIDS.

He has a problem with giving kids medication for every behavioral problem known to man. He's pointed out that there are a lot of really negative side effects caused by said medications.

He's right, a lot of autism and ADD diagnoses are bogus, as are the prescriptions for ritalin, etc. Most kids don't need prescription drugs. Too many doctors and parents use them as a crutch to cover bad parenting. Some prescriptions are legit, but a hell of a lot aren't.
Old 07-18-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4
Perhaps he is autistic. Explains a lot.

E

At least he does not have asthma.
Old 07-18-08, 08:47 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I completely agree with him re: overmedicating kids. Many parents seem to shop around for docs who will put a label on their kids and prescribe medication.
Old 07-18-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Savage must have stayed in an Oregon hotel. Our autism rates are the highest in the nation.

And I agree with him. It is a scam. A fraud. Of course, not all autistic people are diagnosed with fraud in mind, nor are they all improperly diagnosed altogether. However, I'd say the majority of autistic children are not autistic.

The major reason why autism is so popular these days, is because there is such a wide spectrum, where virtually anyone can be labeled. And some serious money can be made, especially if you're a school or some type of institution.

Unfortunately, most parents don't want to hear their kid is just weird, stupid, or can't keep up with the rest of the class. NCLB Syndrome. "No Child Left Behind" Syndrome. Because if you told parents their kid was just stupid, they would probably sue you and would probably win due to the type of society we have. So, in order to drag the rest of the kids along with the performing group, you label them something, like "autistic", and then you can officially remove them from the school, and into another "special" school.
Old 07-19-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard this guy's show one night. He was ranting about some SF lefty radio show guy that turned out to be (likely) a molester.

He started screaming how the liberals, you know, the ones with the anti-war T-shirts, are all child molesters and how you had to watch them around you children. Seriously. Almost all liberals are child molesters who want to rape your children. Literally. He wasn't making an analogy.
Old 07-19-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
His rants about autism and ADD are all about OVERMEDICATING OUR KIDS.

He has a problem with giving kids medication for every behavioral problem known to man. He's pointed out that there are a lot of really negative side effects caused by said medications.

He's right, a lot of autism and ADD diagnoses are bogus, as are the prescriptions for ritalin, etc. Most kids don't need prescription drugs. Too many doctors and parents use them as a crutch to cover bad parenting. Some prescriptions are legit, but a hell of a lot aren't.
i agree entirely. there's a massive industry dedicated to telling us how ill we are (even when we're not) in order to sell us expensive prescription medication. ocd, add, and other fairly new medical diagnosis are rampant through our populations apparently. quite the scam they've got going.
Old 07-19-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I've gone thru my Savage stage... used to laugh and enjoy him pretty regularly, but the last six months he's just been nails-on-the-chalkboard to me. Getting harder for me to justify listening to him...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.