Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Which of McCain's Flip Flips is the most funny?
Torture
45.95%
Special Interests
0%
Campaign Finance Laws
13.51%
Jerry Fallwell
13.51%
Iraq
2.70%
Abortion
5.41%
Bush's Tax Cuts
13.51%
Ethanol
0%
Gay Marriage
5.41%
Gun Control
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Which of McCain's Flip Flops is the most funny?

Old 07-10-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Which of McCain's Flip Flops is the most funny?

Torture

BEFORE

McCain 11/16/07: "One of the things that kept us going when I was in prison in North Vietnam was that we knew that if the situation were reversed, that we would not be doing to our captors what they were doing to us"

"I want to tell you. Rudy Giuliani, Fred Thompson and Mitt Romney all think it is O.K. They have one thing in common. They don’t understand the military and the culture of this nation. If they did, they could never condone such behavior." [NY Times]

AFTER

McCain votes against a ban on CIA torture. [NY Times]

Special Interests

BEFORE

McCain: "I'm the only one special interests don't give any money to." [YouTube]

AFTER

McCain's campaign manager and many key campaign officials are telecom lobbyists, who have given at least $765,000 to his campaign (and that's just one special interest) [USA Today]

Campaign Finance Laws

BEFORE

McCain author of McCain Feingold amendment, limiting use of soft money in campaigns. [Wikipedia]

AFTER

3/21/08: McCain likely in violation of campaign finance laws. [WashPost]

Jerry Falwell

BEFORE

McCain 2/28/2000: "I am a pro-life, pro-family fiscal conservative, an advocate of a strong defense, and yet Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell and a few Washington leaders of the pro-life movement call me an unacceptable presidential candidate. They distort my pro- life positions and smear the reputations of my supporters. Why? Because I don't pander to them, because I don't ascribe to their failed philosophy that money is our message."

McCain 2/29/2000: calls Robertson and Falwell "agents of intolerance." [IHT]

AFTER

McCain gives commencement speech at Falwell's Liberty University, cozies up to Falwell. [ABC]

Iraq

BEFORE

McCain 9/29/02: “We’re not going to get into house-to-house fighting in Baghdad. We may have to take out buildings, but we’re not going to have a bloodletting of trading American bodies for Iraqi bodies.”

McCain 1/22/03: “But the point is that, one, we will win this conflict. We will win it easily.” [ThinkProgress]

AFTER

McCain: 1/4/07: "When I voted to support this war, I knew it was probably going to be long and hard and tough, and those that voted for it and thought that somehow it was going to be some kind of an easy task, then I’m sorry they were mistaken. Maybe they didn’t know what they were voting for." [ThinkProgress]

Abortion

BEFORE

McCain 8/24/99: "But certainly in the short term, or even the long term, I would not support repeal of Roe v. Wade, which would then force X number of women in America to [undergo] illegal and dangerous operations." [WashPost]

AFTER

McCain 2/18/07: "I do not support Roe versus Wade. It should be overturned" [MSNBC]

Bush's tax cuts

BEFORE

McCain 5/26/01: "I cannot in good conscience support a tax cut in which so many of the benefits go to the most fortunate among us, at the expense of middle class Americans who most need tax relief." [McCain's Senate website]

AFTER

In 2006 McCain votes to extend Bush tax cuts [MediaMatters]

Last edited by cungar; 07-10-08 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

I wonder why grundle didn't do this one?

Anyhoo, I'd go with torture.
Old 07-10-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

You forgot his amnesty bill that he co-wrote but then later said he would never have written it that way!

Last edited by General Zod; 07-10-08 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-10-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definitely torture. I mean, the man was a victim of torture and now he supports some of the very same methods that were used on him. It doesn't get funnier than that.
Old 07-10-08, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I wonder why grundle didn't do this one?
Senator John McCain (Republican, Arizona)

Also, you don't have an example for his flip-flop on Gay Marriage, but I can give one. When he was on Ellen's show he said he was against it -- but then later on in the show offered to walk her down the aisle. That's a flop in less than 60 minutes!
Old 07-10-08, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
This thread is bogus. Everyone knows only Democrats flip-flop on issues.
Old 07-10-08, 01:27 PM
X
Administrator

Who's going to play the part of JasonF in this thread?
Old 07-10-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X

Nobody likes John McCain that much. Not even Mrs. McCain.
Old 07-10-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho

Also, you don't have an example for his flip-flop on Gay Marriage, but I can give one. When he was on Ellen's show he said he was against it -- but then later on in the show offered to walk her down the aisle. That's a flop in less than 60 minutes!
A whole hour? Senator McCain has been known to flip-flop in the same sentence. Here he is saying that he does not want to privatize social security -- he wants to allow people to have individual accoutns with their names on them.

Is he so stupid he doesn't know what privitization of social security is, or does he just think the rest of us are that stupid?
Old 07-10-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by X
Obama has plenty of people to attempt to explain away his flip-flops and stupid comments.. I don't think anyone cares enough to do it for McCain.
Old 07-10-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Nobody likes John McCain that much. Not even Mrs. McCain.

Wait ... I mean

No, actually, I think I was right the first time:
Old 07-10-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Obama has plenty of people to attempt to explain away his flip-flops and stupid comments.. I don't think anyone cares enough to do it for McCain.
And just to make everyone happy ... the difference is that Senator Obama's supposed "flip-flops" aren't actually instances where he has changed his position. Senator McCain's flip-flops are.
Old 07-10-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X

I suspect no one.

The McCain supporters (misguided, yes) don't seem to believe that he is God.
Old 07-10-08, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
the difference is that Senator Obama's supposed "flip-flops" aren't actually instances where he has changed his position. Senator McCain's flip-flops are.
Another difference is that all the flip-flops in this thread are of McCain moving to the right to strengthen his appeal to Republican primary voters. All of the Obama flip-flops (sorry JasonF) in the other thread were examples of him shifting to the right, away from positions designed to appeal to Democratic primary voters and towards positions designed to appeal to the general electorate.
Old 07-10-08, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Obama has changed his position on some things such as public campaign financing. However this is supposed to be a McCain bash thread - not an Obama bashing thread (Soon I am sure to be merged into the one-and-only thread since it has a name and is a bashing type thread - apparently the new requirements for such a move).
Old 07-10-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Another difference is that all the flip-flops in this thread are of McCain moving to the right to strengthen his appeal to Republican primary voters. All of the Obama flip-flops (sorry JasonF) in the other thread were examples of him shifting to the right, away from positions designed to appeal to Democratic primary voters and towards positions designed to appeal to the general electorate.
Old 07-10-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod
Obama has changed his position on some things such as public campaign financing. However this is supposed to be a McCain bash thread - not an Obama bashing thread (Soon I am sure to be merged into the one-and-only thread since it has a name and is a bashing type thread - apparently the new requirements for such a move).

You are forgetting about the poll loophole.
Old 07-10-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

McCain's biggest flip-flop - suddenly becoming a Baptist.
Old 07-10-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
McCain's biggest flip-flop - suddenly becoming a Baptist.
i thought he's gone to a baptist church for years
Old 07-10-08, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2
I don't think we're seen the full extent to which McCain will flip back to the center on issues. We've seen some evidence with global warming, but I eagerly await his bold new proposals for dealing with health care, the "unfairness" of trade deals like NAFTA, and who knows what else.
Old 07-10-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

My only defense of McCain is you can go much much further back in his career to find things he's flopped on whereas with Obama.. he hasn't done or said much and he hasn't done it for very long. I mean when did people really start paying attention to Obama? After his speech for Kerry in 2004? A lot of the McCain quotes are dredged up from way before that. Not exactly a fair and level playing field.

That's about all I have for McCain since I completely don't like the man.
Old 07-10-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Screw this poll and the other(Obama) poll because both are nothing more than Circle Jerks for hardcore party "Kool Aid Drinkers". A better poll would be:

"Who is stupid enough to believe that their respective candidate for President <i>isn't</i> telling lies to please voters just to get in office?

There I said it.
Old 07-10-08, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Screw this poll and the other(Obama) poll because both are nothing more than Circle Jerks for hardcore party "Kool Aid Drinkers".
When you consider that most of the posts in this thread and the equivalent Obama thread have expressed the fairly cynical viewpoint that this is what politicians do, it's not that remarkable, and what do you expect, really?, I don't think your comment is at all accurate.

But it's always possible you haven't actually read either thread.
Old 07-10-08, 03:50 PM
Political Exile

I voted for his violation of the McCain-Feingold law.

Perhaps if Jesse Jackson cuts off McCain's balls they'll stop flip flopping.
Old 07-10-08, 03:52 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by wendersfan

Great observation!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.