Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Which of Obama's shifts to the right do you think is the most funny?
Unwarranted wiretapping
25.00%
Israel
4.17%
Free Trade
0%
Gun control
4.17%
Death Penalty
0%
Faith Based Programs
25.00%
Welfare Reform
8.33%
Iraq War
29.17%
Abortion
4.17%
Patriot Act
0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Which of Obama's shifts to the right do you think is the most funny?

Old 07-04-08, 06:51 AM
Political Exile

Which of Obama's shifts to the right do you think is the most funny?

I think it's hilarious that Obama is doing so many things to upset the very people who helped him to win the Democratic primary!

It's too bad this forum only allows 10 options in the polls.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/com...cle4264994.ece

July 4, 2008

Barack Obama's policy switches are giving the Left whiplash

The Democratic nominee's policy pivots are causing anguish among liberals.

By Gerard Baker

Change, it turns out, wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Having campaigned for the past year as the agent of transformation, the man who would lead an historic shift in America's political direction, Barack Obama is discovering that there is quite a lot he likes about the way things are.

Since securing the Democratic nomination a few weeks ago, the only change coming from the Illinois senator has been in what he seems to stand for. Last month he dropped his opposition to a Bill before Congress that would give telecoms companies immunity from prosecution for carrying out illegal wiretaps on potential terrorist suspects.

He told a cheering crowd of Israel's supporters of his fervent commitment to the security of the Jewish state and added, for good measure, that an “undivided” Jerusalem should be the nation's capital. He said that he likes free trade after all, and that his primary campaign pledge to dismantle the North American Free Trade Agreement was a case of “overheated rhetoric”.

Last week he expressed support for a Supreme Court decision that struck down a ban on handguns and opposition to another that outlawed the death penalty for rape of a child.

This week he promised to expand President Bush's faith-based organisations initiative
, a programme that channels funds to religious groups so that they can deliver social welfare services, which the Left regards as a heinous blurring of Church-State separation.

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...shifts-on.html

Obama Shifts on Welfare Reform

July 01, 2008

ABC News' Teddy Davis and Gregory Wallace Report:

Barack Obama aligned himself with welfare reform on Monday, launching a television ad which touts the way the overhaul "slashed the rolls by 80 percent." Obama leaves out, however, that he was against the 1996 federal legislation which precipitated the caseload reduction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...aq-troops.html

US election: Barack Obama wobbles on withdrawing Iraq troops

By Tim Shipman in Washington

Last Updated: 12:20AM BST 04/07/2008

Senator Barack Obama has rushed to clarify his position on the Iraq War after he appeared to wobble on a commitment to withdraw US ground troops within 16 months, a central plank of his candidacy.

The Democratic presidential nominee used a press conference to say that the timetable was not set in stone and that he would adjust his plans based on conditions on the ground when he visits Iraq later this month.

On his website, Mr Obama promises he "will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months".

But he told journalists in North Dakota that those policies could be "refined"
in the light of what he finds in Iraq.

"I've always said the pace of withdrawal would be dictated by the safety and security of our troops and the need to maintain stability," he said.

"When I go to Iraq and have a chance to talk to some of the commanders on the ground, I'm sure I'll have more information and will continue to refine my policies."

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080703/D91MKQ681.html

Obama: Mental distress can't justify late abortion

Jul 3, 2008 6:01 PM (ET)

By JIM KUHNHENN

WASHINGTON (AP) - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says "mental distress" should not qualify as a health exception for late term-abortions, a key distinction not embraced by many supporters of abortion rights.

In an interview this week with "Relevant," a Christian magazine, Obama said prohibitions on late-term abortions must contain "a strict, well defined exception for the health of the mother."

Obama then added: "Now, I don't think that 'mental distress' qualifies as the health of the mother. I think it has to be a serious physical issue that arises in pregnancy, where there are real, significant problems to the mother carrying that child to term."

A leading abortion opponent, however, said Obama's rhetoric does not match his voting record and his previously stated views on abortion rights.

David N. O'Steen, the executive director of National Right to Life, said Obama's remarks to the magazine "are either quite disingenuous or they reflect that Obama does not know what he is talking about."

"You cannot believe that abortion should not be allowed for mental health reasons and support Roe v Wade," O'Steen said.

http://www.votesmart.org/voting_cate...hp?can_id=9490

Senator Barack H. Obama Jr. (IL)

Voting Record

03/02/2006 USA PATRIOT and Terrorism Prevention Reauthorization HR 3199 Y
Old 07-04-08, 06:55 AM
Political Exile

I voted for Faith Based Programs.
Old 07-04-08, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The wiretapping one was a headscratcher for me. That wasn't just limited to him though.
Old 07-04-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think his shift on the war in Iraq is going to piss off the left. That is their issue as to why they loved him cause he opposed it all the way back to 2003. If I were an anti-war liberal, I would be pissed with Obama and the Democratic Congress. Since they took control in January 2007, what have they done to get us out of Iraq? And now Obama may not get us out of there as planned?

Although a strong #2 goes to Faith Based Initatives, as my liberal friends have been very mum on commenting. I asked them the other day, "Was that George Bush talking about Faith Based.......no wait that Obama!" They shook their head and didn't say anything to me.
Old 07-04-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It'll be even more funny if Obama becomes president. There's probably a lot of classified stuff he's not aware of that he'll find out. Once he gains that knowledge he'll have to take back a lot of promises he made to the public.
Old 07-04-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The question is whether he can shift right faster than McCain can shift left. None of them stand for anything except election.

"Be everything to everybody. Never let the bastards pin you down." -- The consummate politician's motto.
Old 07-04-08, 09:36 AM

Where's the choice for "None of the above"?
Old 07-04-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gun Control followed by Faith Based Initiatives
Old 07-04-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
So you think they are all equally funny? Or the markings of "Just another politician".
Old 07-04-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think he's moved to the right on guns. I think the former constitutional law professor has been confused about it for some time.

I'd go with wiretapping.

I don't think 'funny' is the right word though. Every politician running for President has done this for a long time. 'Disappointing' is the better word, particularly given that his fans keep telling us he is a new kind of a politician, a breath of fresh air, with lots of integrity.

I wish the OP would do one of these for McCain. That may be wishing too much though.
Old 07-04-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was excited about Obama's campaign, and was pretty certain my vote would be his as recently as a month ago. Since his nomination, however, I've found Obama to be less and less endearing. While Hillary was in self-destruct mode, it was easy to ignore Obama the politician, but that's becoming more difficult now that he actually has to compete on the issues. I can't seem to find anything but Obama the politician anymore.
Old 07-04-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With the arguable exception of the FISA bill, none of these are examples of Senator Obama shifting his positions.

Meanwhile, Senator McCain is opposing the McCain-Kennedy immigration bill and violating the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Act.
Old 07-04-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Voting for Obama is voting for a third Bush term.
Old 07-04-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, who didn't see Obama's flop-flipping coming?

The guy is just another politician - he's as full of shit as the rest of them, and will say anything to get elected. Hell, this guy is a CHICAGO politician. Not exactly the most ethical or honest bunch historically...

Obama just happens to be a darned good public speaker and convinced a lot of people that he was something that he wasn't, or more accurately, he convinced them that he wasn't something that he really was - just another politician.

(By the way, I find the Iraq flop-flip, errr... refinement of his position to be hilarious! To everyone who believed that he would pull the troops out like he promised.... SUCKERS! )

Last edited by B5Erik; 07-04-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-04-08, 10:21 AM
Political Exile

Like I said, it's too bad the forum only allows for 10 choices in the polls.
Old 07-04-08, 10:22 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I wish the OP would do one of these for McCain. That may be wishing too much though.
Which issues has McCain moved to the right on since winning the nomination?
Old 07-04-08, 10:25 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JasonF
With the arguable exception of the FISA bill, none of these are examples of Senator Obama shifting his positions.
Then why are the people who voted for him so upset at him for these things now?
Old 07-04-08, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by arminius
So you think they are all equally funny? Or the markings of "Just another politician".
Major party candidates typically move away from the center during primary elections, then back towards the center in general elections. This is nothing new, it's to be expected, and to have a thread about it is preposterous.
Old 07-04-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by grundle
Which issues has McCain moved to the right on since winning the nomination?

All of 'em. You want them alphabetically or chronologically.
Old 07-04-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle
Then why are the people who voted for him so upset at him for these things now?
Because we have a press corps that thrives on ginned-up conflict and a large portion of the electorate with only a superficial knowledge of the issues.
Old 07-04-08, 10:43 AM

Major party candidates typically move away from the center during primary elections, then back towards the center in general elections. This is nothing new, it's to be expected, and to have a thread about it is preposterous.

Except for the fact that both of these candidates are worse than those of recent times in this regard, (with Senator Obama being worse in my opinion), and that Senator Obama was a going to be a 'new' candidate, one who was not only leaving behind politics of the past but foregoing politics altogether. He was different, special, or so we were led to believe.

It is a worthwhile topic, far more noteworthy than many currently on the front page of this forum right now.
Old 07-04-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Pharoh

It is a worthwhile topic, far more noteworthy than many currently on the front page of this forum right now.

Surely not the black national anthem thread though.
Old 07-04-08, 10:54 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

None of the above. I believe Obama when he says "That's not the ______ I know."
Old 07-04-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

-----

I still prefer Obama over McCain, however.
Old 07-04-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have a problem with this. When you're a senator who's trying to get noticed, it's easy to take black&white positions on all sorts of issues.

When you're running for president, you can assume that the extreme wing of your party is going to vote your way, but you have to get the votes from the people in the middle of the bell curve.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.