Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New Georgia Law allows Concealed Weapons

Old 07-01-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New Georgia Law allows Concealed Weapons

and there is already a lawsuit...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080701/...s/airport_guns

ATLANTA - The nation's busiest airport dueled with gun rights advocates Tuesday over whether a new Georgia state law allows visitors to carry firearms at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.

City officials in charge of the airport declared it a "gun-free zone" when a law allowing people to carry guns on public transit and other places took effect Tuesday. Gun rights supporters, including a state legislator who helped pass the law, quickly filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the designation.

"My message is simple: Leave your firearms at home," airport general manager Ben DeCosta told reporters at a news conference.

Atlanta officials said anyone carrying a gun at the airport could be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor.

The new state law allows people with a concealed weapons permit to carry guns into restaurants, state parks and on public transportation.

John Monroe, an attorney for the gun rights backers who filed the lawsuit, argued the Atlanta airport qualifies as public transportation. There are also restaurants in the terminal, which Monroe said should be accessible to gun-toting visitors under the new law.

Rep. Tim Bearden, a Republican from Villa Rica and a former police officer, is a plaintiff in the lawsuit. Bearden sponsored the state law.

He had told a newspaper he would carry a concealed weapon to the airport Tuesday when he picked up his family. But he told The Associated Press by telephone Tuesday morning, "There will be no reason for any confrontation at the airport."

The gun group argues that weapons should be allowed in the terminal up to the point where passengers pass through security to board their flights. The parking lot is off limits under the state law, but it allows travelers to carry a gun on MARTA trains and buses, which run directly to the airport.

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin said citizens can't bring guns into the terminal and argued that airports remain attractive targets for terrorism.

Allowing citizens to carry firearms "would create an environment that would endanger millions of people," she said.

Franklin said she will lobby Congress to withhold federal funds from facilities that allow firearms on their premises.

There is plenty of security at the airport. Do we really need people to easily bring weapons there?

I'm not a fan of guns but I can see the reason for this in certain places, but the airport doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-01-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the terminal should be off-limits. An airplane is a bit different from a bus.
Old 07-01-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
There is plenty of security at the airport. Do we really need people to easily bring weapons there?
An armed Cinnabon is a polite Cinnabon.
Old 07-01-08, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm all for general CCWs, but certain places should be restricted. Airports, schools, etc.
Old 07-01-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Seems like my concealed weapons permit doesn't allow me to bring one to the courthouse. I wouldn't have a problem with them saying the airport was off limits as well. I don't think it is any great harm though. I don't think people will go in to shoot it up if they are allowed concealed weapons.
Old 07-01-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Airports and courthouses have substantial security/police presenses so I could see the rationale for not allowing CCW in such places.
Old 07-01-08, 02:32 PM

I don't see a problem with people bringing guns in the airport, or even on the plane -- but only if extra measures are taken. For example, put the gun in one pocket, put the bullets in the other.
Old 07-01-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't see a problem with people bringing guns in the airport, or even on the plane -- but only if extra measures are taken. For example, put the gun in one pocket, put the bullets in the other.
Then button one (or both) of the pockets!
Old 07-01-08, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by dork
Then button one (or both) of the pockets!
Hey now, let's not get carried away. Why not just trample the second amendment while you're at it!
Old 07-01-08, 06:11 PM
Suspended

I'm taking my rocket launcher with me the next time I go to ATL.

E
Old 07-01-08, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dang...

they brought concealed weapons into the airport?...

man that's pushing it...

i mean in a purely Constitutional sense that is actually covered and approved... but that's pushing it...

like kvr said you can't carry into a court house, as emotions or tempers can run high there, and there are plenty armed security to take car of business... the same is true of there being plenty of armed security at an airport...

but the point has been made, in a sound way not in extremist rhetoric... that if one person on each of the planes on 9-11 had been in possession of a CCW weapon, thousands of lives would have been saved... the Founding Fathers believed that firearms anywhere and everywhere made the country safer, a criminal with a gun is nullified by 3 law abiding citizens with guns around him... anti gun propaganda, and very selective media coverage of only covering crimes with firearms and not covering the millions of times a year firearms prevent a crime, has done an effective job of changing that notion in the mind of the public

in fact the federal government agreed with those assertions about firearms on planes after 9-11 and started putting Marshalls with concealed weapons on planes?... kind of puts the stamp of approval in the idea of law abiding people with firearms makes a flight safer...

i can tell you that many of the CCW permit civilians are better, or safer and more effective with a firearm than the police... i know that for a fact... the common thought of 'he's a policeman(or Marshall) so he knows what he's doing with a firearm' is a fallacy...

but carrying in an airport is a tricky one... no two ways about it... the mayor mentions a terminal being a magnet for terrorism... somehow the mayor is brainwashed into the mistaken notion that an armed law abiding civilian could not interdict and end such a terrorist attack right there on the spot?... that's what bothers me... the brainwashing...

the federal government decided that arms on planes made them safer... but somehow law abiding citizens don't get that chance to defend themselves... i bet the people on those planes, and in the WTC towers, would have strong opinions on that if they could speak...

and this was a crux issue of the 2nd Amendment...
"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" - Patrick Henry

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 07-02-08 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-01-08, 10:42 PM

Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin said citizens can't bring guns into the terminal and argued that airports remain attractive targets for terrorism.
WTF does "terrorism" have to do with this issue. Are terrorists not going to bring guns to ATL because they're afraid of getting charged with a misdemeanor? (Rule #1 in the terrorists training manual: You shall abide by all local, state, and federal weapons laws and regulations )
Allowing citizens to carry firearms "would create an environment that would endanger millions of people," she said.

That's just idiotic. I can't think of a rational reason why CCW holders shouldn't be allowed to carry in the non-sterile (before the security checkpoints) areas of the airport. Therefore, I don't see a reason for the city of Atlanta to forbid it.
Old 07-02-08, 07:59 AM
Admin-Thanos

Wow this is great. The more weapons in a crowded public space, the better.
Old 07-02-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The best part is that my tax money gets to fight out the battle. woohoo!
Old 07-02-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
you people do know this would be outside the boarding areas and that people already bring guns to airports and *gasp* check them in their luggage

allowing ccw in the non secure areas is not going to cause any crime or be unsafe
Old 07-02-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Airports and courthouses have substantial security/police presenses so I could see the rationale for not allowing CCW in such places.
and what about the walk/drive to and from these places? should they provide lockers for the guns?

court houses at least make some sense, since there are criminals on trial there, so in theory at least the metal detectors will stop other criminals from getting a gun in to their buddy to try some movie-esque escape
Old 07-02-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mikehunt
and what about the walk/drive to and from these places? should they provide lockers for the guns?

Couldn't you store it in your car already?