Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Israel attacking Iran looks "unavoidable'

Old 06-26-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Israel attacking Iran looks "unavoidable'

http://www.reuters.com/article/wtMos...25195820080606

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - An Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear sites looks "unavoidable" given the apparent failure of sanctions to deny Tehran technology with bomb-making potential, one of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert's deputies said on Friday.

"If Iran continues with its program for developing nuclear weapons, we will attack it. The sanctions are ineffective," Transport Minister Shaul Mofaz told the mass-circulation Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

"Attacking Iran, in order to stop its nuclear plans, will be unavoidable," said the former army chief who has also been defense minister.

It was the most explicit threat yet against Iran from a member of Olmert's government, which, like the Bush administration, has preferred to hint at force as a last resort should U.N. Security Council sanctions be deemed a dead end.

Iran has defied Western pressure to abandon its uranium enrichment projects, which it says are for peaceful electricity generation rather than bomb-building. The leadership in Tehran has also threatened to retaliate against Israel -- believed to have the Middle East's only atomic arsenal -- and U.S. targets in the Gulf for any attack on Iran.

Mofaz also said in the interview that Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has called for Israel to be wiped off the map, "would disappear before Israel does."

A spokesman for Prime Minister Ehud Olmert did not address Mofaz's comments directly but said that "all options must remain on the table" and said more could be done to put financial pressure on Tehran.

"Israel believes strongly that while the U.N. sanctions are positive, much more needs to be done to pressure the regime in Tehran to cease its aggressive nuclear program," spokesman Mark Regev said. CONTINUED IF YOU FOLLOW THE LINK
I hadn't heard any of this, but was talking with a fellow yesterday who told me about it. After a little research....HOLY SHIT!!!! I am almost to the conclusion that this will happen as well.

If it does, I sure hope that we, Russia, Europe, China, etc. stay the hell out of it. I have no doubt that most countries in the Middle East will get in the middle of it.

I would not want to be on the bad side of Israel. I believe that they probably have 5 times as much power than most experts believe. I believe they will use nuclear weapons without hesitation or remorse because they believe their absolute survival is at stake. If they do something, I believe it will happen before November because they will want it to occur while Bush is President rather than Obama.

What is everyone's opinion of this? Scares the hell out of me.
Old 06-26-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't this hasten the whole end of days scenario the religious camps in question are waiting for?

Israel had no qualms taking out Osirak. I think they'd need American assistance with Iran though.
Old 06-26-08, 11:22 AM

Well that's just great.

Old 06-26-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The question is can they? They don't have a long range bomber fleet, and it's a long ways to go for F15s & F16s.
Old 06-26-08, 11:23 AM
X
Administrator

The just proved they could in exercises early this month. That's why they have refuelers.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080620...y_080620105617

They also bought a batch a bunker-busters (try saying that fast 3 times) from us a while ago.
Old 06-26-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Isn't Olmert in all kinds of trouble? Is this just distraction for them?
Old 06-26-08, 11:27 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Venusian
Isn't Olmert in all kinds of trouble? Is this just distraction for them?
I guess he should take a lesson from an American politician and just lob a few cruise missiles at them.
Old 06-26-08, 11:28 AM
Admin-Thanos

It all depends on whether Iran is really that close to a workable weapon. If they are still just enriching uranium, Israel won't bomb them, but if they are pretty close to completion of an A-Bomb, they will strike. Mossad knows their capabilities better than we do and that will dictate their actions if no diplomatic progress is made.

It's not going to be a cake walk like the Osirak plant in Iraq. The Iranian facilities are spread out all over the place and well defended.
Old 06-26-08, 11:29 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by VinVega
It's not going to be a cake walk like the Osirak plant in Iraq. The Iranian facilities are spread out all over the place and well defended.
I think just taking out a few facilities breaks up the enrichment process enough that not all have to be taken out.
Old 06-26-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114
Doesn't this hasten the whole end of days scenario the religious camps in question are waiting for?
That would be hard to know without knowing the outcome. Many thought Israel becoming a state would as well, but here we are.

Israel had no qualms taking out Osirak. I think they'd need American assistance with Iran though.
I don't think they would need our help. I think they have no qualms with be absolutely ruthless, where we care about not killing women and children. Israel would be like a rabid dog let loose that could care less about all the countries yelling at them to stop.
Old 06-26-08, 11:33 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by X
I think just taking out a few facilities breaks up the enrichment process enough that not all have to be taken out.
I really don't know enough about them, but I heard that some of them are under mountains. I wonder if the "bunker busters" mentioned are nuclear tipped? You've still got to take out multiple targets with them knowing you're coming. I'm sure it can be done, but the risks are much higher this time for the Israelis.
Old 06-26-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That would be hard to know without knowing the outcome. Many thought Israel becoming a state would as well, but here we are...
...at the END OF DAYS!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-08, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Old 06-26-08, 11:43 AM
X
Administrator

I have no doubt that most countries in the Middle East will get in the middle of it.
I have no doubt that most countries in the Middle East will complain a lot about it and secretly be quite happy that it happened.
Old 06-26-08, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by X
I have no doubt that most countries in the Middle East will complain a lot about it and secretly be quite happy that it happened.
Probably. It depends on how clinical and precise the Israelis governments will be able to contain the public outrage.
Old 06-26-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I think you will have places try to attack Israel while they are busy attacking Iran. Even if it is just throwing bombs and stuff (like always), I am sure Israel is very happy they built the wall.
Old 06-26-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love how some people's image of Israel is pretty much the same as some people's image of Chuck Norris.
Old 06-26-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dork
I love how some people's image of Israel is pretty much the same as some people's image of Chuck Norris.
It doesn't seem undesearved given what they have done in the past (not even taking into account parting a freaking sea).

How have countries fared that took them lightly?
Old 06-26-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I guess he should take a lesson from an American politician and just lob a few cruise missiles at them.

i hope they nuke those bastards into one big glass plain...
Old 06-26-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Olmert is a lame duck (facing corruption charges). He's got a couple more months in power, but only because his party (Kadima) struck a last minute deal yesterday with Labour party leader Ehud Barak to defeat a motion to dissolve parliement submitted by Likud leader Binyamin Netanyahu. In return, Olmert will hold elections for a new head of his Kadima party by September, elections which he will most likely lose. Both Olmert and Barak trail Netanyahu in opinion polls.

Sahul Mofaz is considered to be one of the top candidates to replace Olmert as the head of the Kadima party. He's obviously a hawk, but as a politician, those statements above have to be examined in the context of Israeli politics, i.e. rhetoric for (Israeli) public consumption.

Profile:

Mr Mofaz is one of three deputy prime ministers and also the transport minister. Mofaz has served under four different prime ministers

The Iranian-born former paratrooper moved into politics following a long military career. Rising to the post of chief of staff of the Israeli Defence Forces, he has been credited with helping to transform the Israeli army into the Middle East's mightiest fighting force.

He directed some of Israel's most controversial military operations, including the March 2002 assault on Jenin and the demolition of Yasser Arafat's headquarters in Ramallah.

The former defence minister continues to be outspoken on security issues, recently telling an Israeli newspaper that a military strike on Iran to stop it developing nuclear weapons looked "unavoidable".

He also called for the resignation of the head of the UN nuclear watchdog, saying he had endangered world peace by neglecting Iran's nuclear programme.
I'd like to know when was the last time Israel allowed IAEA inspections of their nuclear facilities.

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-26-08 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-26-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How have countries fared that took them lightly?
Lately, pretty well.
Old 06-26-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Lately, pretty well.
Examples?
Old 06-26-08, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by X
Or get into a sex scandal.
Old 06-26-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

In training and technology, I would clearly place them on top as the most formidable military force native to the Middle East.
Old 06-26-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think they would need our help. I think they have no qualms with be absolutely ruthless, where we care about not killing women and children. Israel would be like a rabid dog let loose that could care less about all the countries yelling at them to stop.
I just don't think they have enough to deal with Iran's anti-aircraft weapons AND still hit their primary targets.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.