Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The 2008 Presidential Election thread part XIX [Merged - Obama: Speak Spanish!]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2008 Presidential Election thread part XIX [Merged - Obama: Speak Spanish!]

Old 06-13-08, 11:53 PM
Admin-Thanos

The 2008 Presidential Election thread part XIX

You know I'm fond of the Roman numerals.

Previous thread: HERE
Old 06-14-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe some of our fiscally conservative members will be interested in this:

McCain, wife owed $225,000 in credit card debt
Senate disclosure statements give look at candidates' personal finances

By LARRY ROHTER

updated 4:23 a.m. CT, Sat., June. 14, 2008
Senators John McCain and Barack Obama released their Senate financial disclosure statements on Friday, revealing that Mr. McCain and his wife had at least $225,000 in credit card debt and that Mr. Obama and his wife had put more than $200,000 into college funds for their daughters.

The bulk of the McCains’ obligations stemmed from a pair of American Express credit cards that are held in Cindy McCain’s name. According to the disclosure reports, which present information on debts in a range rather than providing a precise figure, Mrs. McCain owed $100,000 to $250,000 on each card.

Another charge card, held by what was described as a “dependent child,” had also accumulated debts of $15,000 to $50,000. In addition, a credit card held jointly by the couple was carrying $10,000 to $15,000 in debt, the filing indicated, at a stiff 25.99 percent interest rate.

Under Congressional reporting rules, spouses of senators need not specify the exact amount of income they earn from employment, only whether that money exceeded $1,000. Neither Mrs. McCain, an heiress of the Hensley beer distribution company, nor Michelle Obama, a lawyer turned hospital administrator, provided additional information on their salaries in the disclosure form.

Land sold at $1 million profit

Mrs. McCain’s filing, however, indicated that she had substantial holdings in property and stocks — including shares in Anheuser-Busch, which this week became the target of a takeover bid that is expected to send its value climbing. Her land holdings included parcels in Arizona and California, one of which was sold last year for a profit of more than $1 million.

In other filings, the McCains have reported total household assets of $24.6 million to $39.5 million. In recently releasing a summary version of her 2006 tax return, Mrs. McCain reported income that year of more than $6 million, some $300,000 of which was derived from her salary as the chairwoman of Hensley, which was founded by her father.

Information provided in the name of Mrs. Obama, whose 2006 tax return indicated income of $273,618 from the University of Chicago Hospitals, showed that she also earned at least $1,000 for work done for Treehouse Foods, where she was a salaried board member. She relinquished her position at that company, a major supplier to Wal-Mart, in May 2007, after her husband criticized Wal-Mart’s labor practices.

Obama's $4 million in book royalties
In addition to his Senate salary, $165,200 last year, Mr. Obama reported book royalties of more than $4 million in 2007. Those figures reflect the vigorous sales of his two books, “Dreams From My Father” and “The Audacity of Hope,” in the months leading up to and after his entry into the presidential race early last year.

Mr. Obama and his wife have invested those earnings in a variety of ways. In May, for example, they put at least $1 million into a money market fund, and in July invested $100,000 to $250,000 into college savings accounts for each of their two daughters, who are in elementary school. The Obamas have often noted on the campaign trail that they had only recently paid off their own college loans.

Mr. McCain also reported income from book royalties and signings, though significantly smaller than Mr. Obama’s: $176,488. That money is reported to have been donated to charity. In addition, as a retired Navy officer, Mr. McCain receives an annual pension of $58,358.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25154267/

Obviously, the McCains have more than enough money to settle their debts. So why are they carrying balances at 25%?
Old 06-14-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Personal - different from government - as far as being fiscally conservative

JasonF is beginning to sound like those Repubs who attacked John Kerry because of his wife's wealth and rather lavish spending habits.

btw, JasonF, I forgot how much the Obamas donated to charity. Perhaps you could enlighten the forum on just how great amount (percentage is o.k.) they gave?
Old 06-14-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2

JasonF is beginning to sound like those Repubs who attacked John Kerry because of his wife's wealth and rather lavish spending habits.

btw, JasonF, I forgot how much the Obamas donated to charity. Perhaps you could enlighten the forum on just how great amount (percentage is o.k.) they gave?
Wow, Obama is the nominee and you're still attacking him.
Old 06-14-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
Maybe some of our fiscally conservative members will be interested in this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25154267/

Obviously, the McCains have more than enough money to settle their debts. So why are they carrying balances at 25%?
Fiscally conservative nowadays doesn't mean fiscally responsible. It means debt spending for the benefit of the economy (IOW, for the benefit of corporations).
Old 06-14-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Unbelievable huh? No, not really.
Old 06-14-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First of all, that's a rather mild "attack", especially for this forum.

Second, he doesn't like Obama -- but he thinks McCain is even worse. Is that okay?
Old 06-14-08, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In other SHOCKING DEVELOPMENTS, it looks like the great Town Hall Tour '08 ain't going to happen.

Sorry, Thor.
Old 06-14-08, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
First of all, that's a rather mild "attack", especially for this forum.

Second, he doesn't like Obama -- but he thinks McCain is even worse. Is that okay?
He does? Then why is he defending McCain by attacking Obama?
Old 06-14-08, 11:04 AM
X
Administrator

It's amazing that just wanting to find out, or saying, the truth about a candidate is considered an attack. That's what's been one of the major problems with this forum since its inception.

People attack, people defend, hardly anyone cares to look at the truth if it doesn't fit their agenda.
Old 06-14-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't care how rich he is. I'm wondering why the hell he's carrying balances at 25.99%. First of all, how do you get a card at 25.99%? You have to miss payments or have a lousy credit score to wind up at 25.99%. Second, why is he even carrying a balance?

I don't remember offhand, but I know the amount he reported on his taxes was a relatively low number.
Old 06-14-08, 11:08 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by JasonF
I don't remember offhand, but I know the amount he reported on his taxes was a relatively low number.
I recall 3% the year before he ran for president, 1% in previous years. I'm not positive though.
Old 06-14-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My impression is that the purpose of this forum is political discussion, not propagandizing for your chosen candidate. Obviously not everyone agrees with that, but c-man has never made any secret of the fact that 1) he's not crazy about Obama; 2) he's still going to vote for him. It seems to me that 2) is the thing that should matter to Obama supporters and their constant goading of c-man for criticizing the object of their affection is a bit unbecoming, especially since many of them swore until blue in the face that they would stay home if Hillary Clinton was to be the nominee.
Old 06-14-08, 11:51 AM
X
Administrator

I found Obama's...

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_b...-releases.html
Old 06-14-08, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I recall 3% the year before he ran for president, 1% in previous years. I'm not positive though.
You ingrates! I made a table. If wendersfan had done that, he'd probably be voted Poster of the Year or something.
Old 06-14-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My impression is that the purpose of this forum is political discussion, not propagandizing for your chosen candidate. Obviously not everyone agrees with that, but c-man has never made any secret of the fact that 1) he's not crazy about Obama; 2) he's still going to vote for him. It seems to me that 2) is the thing that should matter to Obama supporters and their constant goading of c-man for criticizing the object of their affection is a bit unbecoming, especially since many of them swore until blue in the face that they would stay home if Hillary Clinton was to be the nominee.
dork, there's a world of difference between voting for a candidate and supporting a candidate. There's enough right-wing Republicans on this forum who will be attacking Obama without "Democrats" like classicman joining in the fray.
Old 06-14-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
dork, there's a world of difference between voting for a candidate and supporting a candidate. There's enough right-wing Republicans on this forum who will be attacking Obama without "Democrats" like classicman joining in the fray.
So what? There's also right-wing Republicans attacking McCain and there's certainly no shortage of Obama supporters. Why does it matter which column someone's in? Either his arguments are valid or they aren't.
Old 06-14-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't wear blinders, like you obviously do.
Old 06-14-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Where was I defending McCain? I was simply being factual.

You ought to try it sometime. You might discover you like it.
Old 06-14-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

NCMojo,

Don't you believe the majority of the attacks are right-wing attacks against Obama?

I believe that most of the attacks are coming from either our left-wing members or our members who seem to believe Obama is almost god-like. They're never critical of anything he says or does.
Old 06-14-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you believe that a McCain administration would be more or less fiscally responsible than an Obama administration? If the answer is no, then why are you going to vote for Obama?

What does giving to charity have to do with being fiscally responsible?
Old 06-14-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

True. But if I was going to vote for Hillary, I wouldn't be expending any effort in trying to tear her down. I'd have full confidence that McCain supporters would do that for me.
Old 06-14-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's plenty of "facts" to attack on both sides. You choose to attack Obama while allegedly will be voting for him, because you actually are delusional enough to believe that it lends credibility to your posts. I got news for you - you're not factual. You're merely contrarian. What, you expected respect because you're supporting someone you dislike?

Last edited by hahn; 06-14-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-14-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X

Well that proves he ain't no Muslim, although he's working to get there.

And that McCain credit card tab is downright scary, and I think speaks volumes about his lack of discipline.
Old 06-14-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by X
It's amazing that just wanting to find out, or saying, the truth about a candidate is considered an attack. That's what's been one of the major problems with this forum since its inception.

People attack, people defend, hardly anyone cares to look at the truth if it doesn't fit their agenda.
I assume you are including yourself, yes?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.