Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Democrats Revealed As One-Issue Voters

Old 06-12-08, 07:32 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 21,582
Democrats Revealed As One-Issue Voters

fyi

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-13-08 at 05:16 PM. Reason: In Deference to Sensitive Complainers About Rules
creekdipper is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 07:36 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
spainlinx0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: NJ
Posts: 14,761
You assume because that because they say that now in anger and disappointment that they won't vote for the Democratic candidate later. I think you're wrong about that.

Also, why so angry? Sandy vagina?
spainlinx0 is online now  
Old 06-12-08, 07:37 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
If your premise were true, then Obama supporters would have supported Alan Keyes in the past since they are simply one issue - race - voters. Do you have any statistics to back that up?
Venusian is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 07:42 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
As was mentioned by spainlinx, this was a primary. If a majority of those people follow through in the general you have a point. I think it will be a small minority. Thus, the generalization does not hold up. It probably applies to a portion of the voters, but not "Democrats."
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 08:32 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,367
Originally Posted by creekdipper
So you are assuming that Obama won the support of the vast majority of black Democrats due to his policy differences with Clinton?

That the African-American voting bloc would go for a Democratic candidate is a given...after all, they have represented the most reliable, consistent Democratic votes for decades.

To compare a black Republican with a black Democrat might as well be apples and oranges. It's when the choice comes down to a white liberal versus a black liberal that the bias becomes evident.
This post shoots down the point you started the thread to make.
maxfisher is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 08:47 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pleasantville - in black & white ;P
Posts: 5,970
Creekdipper - let me ask your opinion of say Larry Craig?

Is it better to have a pro-life hypocrit in office vs say a state's rights Democrat (I know they're rare but let's pretend)?

That's my issue with the "one issue" voters. If the candidate votes pro-life or professes to be pro-life then the rest doesn't matter to the majority of that block. That frustrates me because it keeps really shitty politicians in power.
mosquitobite is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 08:53 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,827
There are some single-issue Democrat voters, single-issue GOP voters, and single-issue independent voters. This is news?
Red Dog is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 08:56 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
I don't know that there are more Democrats that wouldn't vote for a pro-lifer than there are Republicans that wouldn't vote for a pro-choicer. I do think that the Democratic party is less accepting of those in office who are pro-life than the Republican party is of those in office who are pro-choice.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 09:15 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
I think democrats can accept pro-life politicians, but being completely anti-abortion tends to be counter productive. Legal abortions, while being fairly reprehensible IMO, are necessary - unless you want to force them underground with disastrous consequences.

Look at the cases of septic infection prior to Roe v Wade.
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 09:33 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Let me the defend the Republicans concerning the pro-life, pro-choice argument and which party is more open.

Simply look at the previous conventions, and the platform. One party allows platform challenges. It's not my party.

There were no pro-lifers allowed on the Democratic platform committee for years and years - may still not be.

The Republicans did allow pro-choice members on the platform. They even allowed floor votes on that issue.

The last poll I saw showed that about 1/3 of Republicans are pro-choice. And, about 1/3 of the Democrats were pro-life.

What was kind of strange about all this - the two top Democratic leaders in the House were pro-life. Of course one of them had a miraculous conversion to pro-choice when he ran for the Democratic nomination for president. Maybe the other one has also experienced that 'road to Damascus' conversion since he's a top spokesman in the Obama campaign.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 09:37 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
It seems that a number of Democratic candidates for President have experienced this conversion - Bill Clinton & Al Gore come to mind.

One might argue that George H. W. Bush experienced a like conversion - only from pro-choice to pro-life.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 09:42 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 17,006
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Sandy vagina?
Rockmjd23 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:29 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by classicman2
Let me the defend the Republicans concerning the pro-life, pro-choice argument and which party is more open.

Simply look at the previous conventions, and the platform. One party allows platform challenges. It's not my party.

There were no pro-lifers allowed on the Democratic platform committee for years and years - may still not be.

The Republicans did allow pro-choice members on the platform. They even allowed floor votes on that issue.

The last poll I saw showed that about 1/3 of Republicans are pro-choice. And, about 1/3 of the Democrats were pro-life.

What was kind of strange about all this - the two top Democratic leaders in the House were pro-life. Of course one of them had a miraculous conversion to pro-choice when he ran for the Democratic nomination for president. Maybe the other one has also experienced that 'road to Damascus' conversion since he's a top spokesman in the Obama campaign.
This clearly shows that pro-choice is the progressive position and the direction America is moving. The Democrats have no reason to allow a non-progressive position in their platform. A conservative platform can afford to allow a progressive theory in since they are never fully stagnant. Even the Repubs progress forward in social thinking.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:29 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by classicman2
It seems that a number of Democratic candidates for President have experienced this conversion - Bill Clinton & Al Gore come to mind.

One might argue that George H. W. Bush experienced a like conversion - only from pro-choice to pro-life.
Sounds like a south/north thing to me.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:32 AM
  #15  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,732
WTF?

wendersfan is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:34 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Originally Posted by CRM114
This clearly shows that pro-choice is the progressive position and the direction America is moving. The Democrats have no reason to allow a non-progressive position in their platform. A conservative platform can afford to allow a progressive theory in since they are never fully stagnant. Even the Repubs progress forward in social thinking.
So what you are saying is the Democrats are less tolerant of divergent view points on this issue?
orangecrush is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:38 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
So what you are saying is the Democrats are less tolerant of divergent view points on this issue?
Yes. That's exactly what I am saying. Just like they are not tolerant of opposing views on segregation or social security.
CRM114 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:38 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Somehow, the idea that persons who understand abortion to be legalized infanticide
Except abortion is not always legalized infanticide.
The Bus is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:43 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes. That's exactly what I am saying. Just like they are not tolerant of opposing views on segregation or social security.
It's slightly insulting to include segregation and social security together.
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:53 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Originally Posted by The Bus
Except abortion is not always legalized infanticide.
It is when you do it right!
dork is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 10:55 AM
  #21  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,825
Single issue abortion foes have had a pro-lifer in the White House for nearly eight years. Most of that time, both the House and the Senate were controlled by pro-lifers as well.

How did that turn out?
Groucho is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 11:02 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Originally Posted by Groucho
Single issue abortion foes have had a pro-lifer in the White House for nearly eight years. Most of that time, both the House and the Senate were controlled by pro-lifers as well.

How did that turn out?
That's what I keep asking pro-choicers that get their panties in a bunch when a pro-life candidate's name is mentioned. Trust me, there are plenty of people that exclude a candidate based on this issue on both sides.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 11:07 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Originally Posted by Groucho
Single issue abortion foes have had a pro-lifer in the White House for nearly eight years. Most of that time, both the House and the Senate were controlled by pro-lifers as well.

How did that turn out?

well i for one have not had an abortion in the last eight years
Venusian is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 11:08 AM
  #24  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,825
Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
That's what I keep asking pro-choicers that get their panties in a bunch when a pro-life candidate's name is mentioned. Trust me, there are plenty of people that exclude a candidate based on this issue on both sides.
Yes, that wasn't really a dig at either side. More of a point that you're going to pretty much get the same thing regardless of the candidate's stand on this issue.
Groucho is offline  
Old 06-12-08, 11:10 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hero
 
CRM114's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 42,731
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yes, that wasn't really a dig at either side. More of a point that you're going to pretty much get the same thing regardless of the candidate's stand on this issue.
Depends how many biased SCOTUS judges the person can appoint.
CRM114 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.