Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Democrats Revealed As One-Issue Voters

Old 06-12-08, 07:32 AM
Banned

Democrats Revealed As One-Issue Voters

fyi

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-13-08 at 05:16 PM. Reason: In Deference to Sensitive Complainers About Rules
Old 06-12-08, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You assume because that because they say that now in anger and disappointment that they won't vote for the Democratic candidate later. I think you're wrong about that.

Also, why so angry? Sandy vagina?
Old 06-12-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If your premise were true, then Obama supporters would have supported Alan Keyes in the past since they are simply one issue - race - voters. Do you have any statistics to back that up?
Old 06-12-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As was mentioned by spainlinx, this was a primary. If a majority of those people follow through in the general you have a point. I think it will be a small minority. Thus, the generalization does not hold up. It probably applies to a portion of the voters, but not "Democrats."
Old 06-12-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
So you are assuming that Obama won the support of the vast majority of black Democrats due to his policy differences with Clinton?

That the African-American voting bloc would go for a Democratic candidate is a given...after all, they have represented the most reliable, consistent Democratic votes for decades.

To compare a black Republican with a black Democrat might as well be apples and oranges. It's when the choice comes down to a white liberal versus a black liberal that the bias becomes evident.
This post shoots down the point you started the thread to make.
Old 06-12-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Creekdipper - let me ask your opinion of say Larry Craig?

Is it better to have a pro-life hypocrit in office vs say a state's rights Democrat (I know they're rare but let's pretend)?

That's my issue with the "one issue" voters. If the candidate votes pro-life or professes to be pro-life then the rest doesn't matter to the majority of that block. That frustrates me because it keeps really shitty politicians in power.
Old 06-12-08, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk God

There are some single-issue Democrat voters, single-issue GOP voters, and single-issue independent voters. This is news?
Old 06-12-08, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I don't know that there are more Democrats that wouldn't vote for a pro-lifer than there are Republicans that wouldn't vote for a pro-choicer. I do think that the Democratic party is less accepting of those in office who are pro-life than the Republican party is of those in office who are pro-choice.
Old 06-12-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think democrats can accept pro-life politicians, but being completely anti-abortion tends to be counter productive. Legal abortions, while being fairly reprehensible IMO, are necessary - unless you want to force them underground with disastrous consequences.

Look at the cases of septic infection prior to Roe v Wade.
Old 06-12-08, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Let me the defend the Republicans concerning the pro-life, pro-choice argument and which party is more open.

Simply look at the previous conventions, and the platform. One party allows platform challenges. It's not my party.

There were no pro-lifers allowed on the Democratic platform committee for years and years - may still not be.

The Republicans did allow pro-choice members on the platform. They even allowed floor votes on that issue.

The last poll I saw showed that about 1/3 of Republicans are pro-choice. And, about 1/3 of the Democrats were pro-life.

What was kind of strange about all this - the two top Democratic leaders in the House were pro-life. Of course one of them had a miraculous conversion to pro-choice when he ran for the Democratic nomination for president. Maybe the other one has also experienced that 'road to Damascus' conversion since he's a top spokesman in the Obama campaign.
Old 06-12-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk God

It seems that a number of Democratic candidates for President have experienced this conversion - Bill Clinton & Al Gore come to mind.

One might argue that George H. W. Bush experienced a like conversion - only from pro-choice to pro-life.
Old 06-12-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Sandy vagina?
Old 06-12-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
Let me the defend the Republicans concerning the pro-life, pro-choice argument and which party is more open.

Simply look at the previous conventions, and the platform. One party allows platform challenges. It's not my party.

There were no pro-lifers allowed on the Democratic platform committee for years and years - may still not be.

The Republicans did allow pro-choice members on the platform. They even allowed floor votes on that issue.

The last poll I saw showed that about 1/3 of Republicans are pro-choice. And, about 1/3 of the Democrats were pro-life.

What was kind of strange about all this - the two top Democratic leaders in the House were pro-life. Of course one of them had a miraculous conversion to pro-choice when he ran for the Democratic nomination for president. Maybe the other one has also experienced that 'road to Damascus' conversion since he's a top spokesman in the Obama campaign.
This clearly shows that pro-choice is the progressive position and the direction America is moving. The Democrats have no reason to allow a non-progressive position in their platform. A conservative platform can afford to allow a progressive theory in since they are never fully stagnant. Even the Repubs progress forward in social thinking.
Old 06-12-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
It seems that a number of Democratic candidates for President have experienced this conversion - Bill Clinton & Al Gore come to mind.

One might argue that George H. W. Bush experienced a like conversion - only from pro-choice to pro-life.
Sounds like a south/north thing to me.
Old 06-12-08, 10:32 AM

WTF?

Old 06-12-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by CRM114
This clearly shows that pro-choice is the progressive position and the direction America is moving. The Democrats have no reason to allow a non-progressive position in their platform. A conservative platform can afford to allow a progressive theory in since they are never fully stagnant. Even the Repubs progress forward in social thinking.
So what you are saying is the Democrats are less tolerant of divergent view points on this issue?
Old 06-12-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
So what you are saying is the Democrats are less tolerant of divergent view points on this issue?
Yes. That's exactly what I am saying. Just like they are not tolerant of opposing views on segregation or social security.
Old 06-12-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Somehow, the idea that persons who understand abortion to be legalized infanticide
Except abortion is not always legalized infanticide.
Old 06-12-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
Yes. That's exactly what I am saying. Just like they are not tolerant of opposing views on segregation or social security.
It's slightly insulting to include segregation and social security together.
Old 06-12-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Except abortion is not always legalized infanticide.
It is when you do it right!
Old 06-12-08, 10:55 AM

Single issue abortion foes have had a pro-lifer in the White House for nearly eight years. Most of that time, both the House and the Senate were controlled by pro-lifers as well.

How did that turn out?
Old 06-12-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Single issue abortion foes have had a pro-lifer in the White House for nearly eight years. Most of that time, both the House and the Senate were controlled by pro-lifers as well.

How did that turn out?
That's what I keep asking pro-choicers that get their panties in a bunch when a pro-life candidate's name is mentioned. Trust me, there are plenty of people that exclude a candidate based on this issue on both sides.
Old 06-12-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How did that turn out?

well i for one have not had an abortion in the last eight years
Old 06-12-08, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
That's what I keep asking pro-choicers that get their panties in a bunch when a pro-life candidate's name is mentioned. Trust me, there are plenty of people that exclude a candidate based on this issue on both sides.
Yes, that wasn't really a dig at either side. More of a point that you're going to pretty much get the same thing regardless of the candidate's stand on this issue.
Old 06-12-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes, that wasn't really a dig at either side. More of a point that you're going to pretty much get the same thing regardless of the candidate's stand on this issue.
Depends how many biased SCOTUS judges the person can appoint.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.