Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Muslim Women and Virginity: 2 Worlds Collide

Old 06-11-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The issue has been particularly charged in France, where a renewed and fierce debate has occurred about a prejudice that was supposed to have been buried with the country’s sexual revolution 40 years ago: the importance of a woman’s virginity.

The furor followed the revelation two weeks ago that a court in Lille, in northern France, had annulled the 2006 marriage of two French Muslims because the groom found his bride was not the virgin she had claimed to be.

The domestic drama has gripped France. The groom, an unidentified engineer in his 30s, left the nuptial bed and announced to the still partying wedding guests that his bride had lied. She was delivered that night to her parents’ doorstep.

The next day, he approached a lawyer about annulling the marriage. The bride, then a nursing student in her 20s, confessed and agreed to an annulment.
The lives of the French couple whose marriage was annulled are on hold. The Justice Ministry has sought an appeal, arguing that the decision has “provoked a heated social debate” that “touched all citizens of our country and especially women.”
Because of this case, women are having their hymens restored.
Those who perform the procedure say they are empowering patients by giving them a viable future and preventing them from being abused — or even killed — by their fathers or brothers.
My favorite part:
The French College of Gynecologists and Obstetricians opposes the procedure on moral, cultural and health grounds.

“We had a revolution in France to win equality; we had a sexual revolution in 1968 when women fought for contraception and abortion,” said Dr. Jacques Lansac, the group’s leader. “Attaching so much importance to the hymen is regression, submission to the intolerance of the past.”
My fascination with this procedure is, once it's out in the open that it's possible for this to be done it will matter less and less anyways. I mean, if the guy and the family know she can reconstruct her hymen, what good will it be to have it done?

Or will there be Muslim doctors who specialize in looking for reconstructed hymens?
Old 06-11-08, 07:30 AM
Admin-Thanos

A thorough background check should find that fake hymen anywhere.

It's really a shame as a guy you can't just do a "visual inspection" and have any faith in the results anymore.
Old 06-11-08, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
We just need to be more tolerant and try to understand this culture. [/de rigueur quip]
Old 06-11-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Do the Muslims this matters to not know that the hymen can be broken down over time without sexual intercourse? What happens when they accuse a lady of not being a virgin, annul the marriage and then find out they were wrong?
Old 06-11-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think tampons would pretty much destroy a hymen, but then again tampons may be against their religion.

I feel most sorry for any Muslim girl who is molested or raped.
Old 06-11-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by mosquitobite
I think tampons would pretty much destroy a hymen, but then again tampons may be against their religion.

I feel most sorry for any Muslim girl who is molested or raped.
Well you know the stats - something like 70% of all women in prison in Pakistan are there for the crime of rape -- because they were raped. If you claim rape and can't produce *4* witnesses, you must be lying - which means you've been sexually promiscuous.