Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Who will be the next Vice President of the United States?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-10-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Forget about Senator Obama and Senator McCain -- we need a thread on the Veepstakes!

Will Senator Obama pick Senator Clinton? Should he? If not, should he pick another woman? How about Governor Richardson? My wife wants him to pick Senator Edwards, but Senator Edwards has repeatedly said he's not interested. And then there's the news that Senator Obama's search committee is vetting General James L. Jones. That could be interesting.

Meanwhile, over on the Republican side of the aisle, there seems to be a grassroots movement to have Senator McCain pick Governor Jindal. Talk about ticket balancing. On the other hand, it's hard to slam Senator Obama as inexperienced when your running mate is 36 years old and looks to be roughly half that age. Other names I hear floated are Governor Crist and Governor Pawlenty.

So post your speculation, your thoughts, and your advice to the candidates. Who do you think should be the next warm bucket of piss?
Old 06-10-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was leaning toward Ed Rendell but Rendell pretty much said his foreign policy is not strong enough and that Obama needs someone with strong FP. That said, Edwards would be the worst possible choice for Obama. I'd lean toward Wes Clarke or Joe Biden myself.
Old 06-10-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Free health care!
Old 06-10-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Hillary all the way.
Old 06-10-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Obama should pick someone like former Sen. Sam Nunn as his VP. Although I'm a Republican, Nunn was the first candidate I ever cast a vote for.
Old 06-10-08, 02:29 PM

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Nunn would be a fine choice if he were 10 years younger.
Old 06-10-08, 02:34 PM
Admin

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts
I'm sticking with Bill Richardson.
Old 06-10-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I think Richardson is a better choice than Clinton. I think Jindal is an interesting choice for McCain.
Old 06-10-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I find it hard to believe Repubs would vote for anyone named Piyush.
Old 06-10-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Webb or Biden.
Old 06-10-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is just my wish, not necessarily the "talk" but he's been on a few lists so I can dream, right?

The only way I'll vote for McCain is with Mark Sanford as his VP. Otherwise, it'll probably be Barr for me in November.
Old 06-10-08, 02:51 PM
Admin

Several people have mentioned Biden. I just don't see it happening. He's positioning himself for Sec of State. That's where his experience lies.
Old 06-10-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Obama would be a fool to pick Hillary. Not only would he have to worry about her usurping his authority and having her own agenda, but he'd have to deal with having Bill around.

You'd have 3 people trying to be President. That would be a disaster.

Bill Richardson would be a great choice - the guy's Hispanic, smart, and is a pretty decent public speaker. I disagree with a lot of his politics, but I think he'd be a really, really solid choice.

McCain's got a tougher choice to make. He needs someone younger (40's or 50's), more photogenic, a better (more charismatic) public speaker, and someone who has a good track record. Romney? Maybe. McCain's definitely got a tougher job than Obama when it comes to picking a VP candidate. Hell, I've been wondering what would happen if he picked Joe Liebermann. He may not be young or charismatic, but choosing him would definitely get a lot of attention. They are good friends...
Old 06-10-08, 02:57 PM
Admin

McCain should pick Charlie Crist if he knows what's good for him. He picks Crist, he wins Florida.
Old 06-10-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by VinVega
McCain should pick Charlie Crist if he knows what's good for him. He picks Crist, he wins Florida.
How is Governor Crist's popularity with the evangelical movement? Given the persistent rumors about his sexuality, I would think that a McCain-Crist ticket could have some serious trouble among social conservatives.
Old 06-10-08, 03:02 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by JasonF
How is Governor Crist's popularity with the evangelical movement? Given the persistent rumors about his sexuality, I would think that a McCain-Crist ticket could have some serious trouble among social conservatives.
I don't know about that, but Crist is pretty popular here in Florida. He got us yet another tax cut. Hooray!!!

McCain is in a tough spot with evangelicals no matter who he picks, simply because he's McCain.
Old 06-10-08, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
This is just my wish, not necessarily the "talk" but he's been on a few lists so I can dream, right?

The only way I'll vote for McCain is with Mark Sanford as his VP. Otherwise, it'll probably be Barr for me in November.
How anyone can vote for Barr is beyond me. He takes hypocrite to a whole other level. Has he changed his mind on just about every issue?
Old 06-10-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
Several people have mentioned Biden. I just don't see it happening. He's positioning himself for Sec of State. That's where his experience lies.
Because he would have been an outstanding President and that is the criteria I'd use to pick VP.
Old 06-10-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
McCain's got a tougher choice to make. He needs someone younger (40's or 50's), more photogenic, a better (more charismatic) public speaker, and someone who has a good track record. Romney? Maybe. McCain's definitely got a tougher job than Obama when it comes to picking a VP candidate. Hell, I've been wondering what would happen if he picked Joe Liebermann. He may not be young or charismatic, but choosing him would definitely get a lot of attention. They are good friends...
McCain needs to pick someone to pander to the religious right. Romney would be a death knell. Lieberman? Not a chance.
Old 06-10-08, 03:06 PM
Admin

Originally Posted by CRM114
Because he would have been an outstanding President and that is the criteria I'd use to pick VP.
I agree with you (I donated money to his campaign), BUT I don't think he wants the job AND I think there are probably other candidates out there who offer more (like winning a battleground state) than Biden does. Biden delivering Delaware isn't going to mean much.
Old 06-10-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Biden is very clean and articulate.
Old 06-10-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wendersfan
Nunn would be a fine choice if he were 10 years younger.
Yeah, he'll be 70 this September. For some odd reason, I still picture him as he looked during the 70s/80s. I've always had a lot of respect for him, and I never voted against him.
Old 06-10-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VinVega is wrong again. Biden is not positioning himself to be Sec. of State.

I don't know where he comes up with these ideas?

IMO - the best choices (probably) for both: Obama-Richardson; McCain-Jindal.
His best choice might be Rice, but he would be accused of racial and/or gender pandering.

What does Crist add to the ticket? McCain is going to win FL without him.
Old 06-10-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
What does Crist add to the ticket? McCain is going to win FL without him.
Some people in flyover states might think he picked Jesus Christ as his running mate?
Old 06-10-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by CRM114
McCain needs to pick someone to pander to the religious right.
I don't think so. Obama's far enough to the left that most of those on the Religious Right will vote against him anyway.

And I just don't see McCain pandering like that. He won't pick Huckabee or anyone like that. I just don't see it.

Romney would be a death knell.
Maybe, maybe not. He speaks well, looks good, and is a social moderate that Democrats won't have to worry about. If not for the LDS thing he'd be a lock. (Well, actually, if not for the LDS thing he'd probably be the nominee...)

Lieberman? Not a chance.
You're probably right, but he did say on Michael Medved's show that he'd seriously consider it if asked.

And I still say Bill Richardson's the best choice Obama can make.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.