Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Political forum informal agreement re: political figure nicknames

Old 06-10-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Political forum informal agreement re: political figure nicknames

I tend to favor less government, more individual responsibility. Thus, I feel we would all benefit from an ability to self-moderate, rather than relying on the moderators to baby sit discussions.

One issue that comes up repeatedly is the use of "pet names" for candidates and political figures that we are not in love with. We've seen them before... Bushite, Obambi, McPain, Ketchup Queen, etc etc.

It is my personal opinion that this degrades discussion to a 3rd grade level when there are some very important matters to discuss and learn from.

This thread will serve as an opt-in method of subscribing to the following agreement:

1) I will use restraint in posting and will do so without the use of degrading or childish nicknames for the people I am discussing
2) I will not respond to any post that contains these terms, other than with a link to this thread (and maybe a rolleyes), to allow the poster an opportunity of redemption
3) I understand that this agreement is not binding except by my own integrity and do hereby vow to keep these terms or be classified as a "forum dweeb" worthy of every members' ignore list.

Call it a boycott, a mancott, or manicotti... I don't care. But if you feel this is an agreement worth participating in, simply sign below.

To sign, simply post "I agree." You may then take one final opportunity to let our your political tourette's with a final nickname that you most enjoy or have made up. This will hopefully purge the demons from your system and allow you to post in an enlightened and discussion-elevating fashion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I hope that you will consider signing, and if not... may God have mercy on your souls.
Old 06-10-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree.

Mr. Neener Neener Obamaweiner!!!!!!!!

I feel better already.
Old 06-10-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't consider "Bushite" to be in the same realm sorry. "Reaganite" and "Clintonite" are accepted terms for followers of those Presidents. But we've had this discussion before and the right-leaning moderation voiced their opinions.
Old 06-10-08, 10:41 AM

I agree.

I also think that the moderators need to clarify the existing rules. As I understand it, nicknames for Bush supporters are off limits -- but anything goes for all other candidates.
Old 06-10-08, 10:51 AM
X
Administrator

I think all nicknames for a particular candidate's supporters should not be used. Some may used in a positive manner but someone's always going to act upset about them, whether they really are or not.

Like most everything around here, rules have to be generalized to apply to everything that might occur because of the complaining when there's any exception noticed.

Most of the name-calling of candidates' supporters is initiated by one person. It shouldn't be too difficult to ask them to stop.
Old 06-10-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree.

I can think of a few posters who won't though
Old 06-10-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mordred
I agree.

I can think of a few posters who won't though
So can I.

But I am now pledging not to respond to them, and if they persist they will simply go on ignore. Simple enough. I do hope they will agree so that I can see what they can add to the discussion, but I will no longer let them get their giggles while fooling themselves into thinking they are somehow expressing something profound or meaningful.
Old 06-10-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree with not using "clever" nicknames. In fact, I usually try to include people's titles when I talk about them. Hey, Senator McCain and Senator Obama worked hard to get into the Senate -- we ought to give them their due!

I proposed something like this a while ago in the sticky thread and got roundly shot down. I suspect there are some posters who are too attached to the nicknames to let them go.

As for "Bushite" vs. "Reaganite" or "Clintonite," I do agree with CRM114 that there's no reason the former should be offensive while the latter two aren't. But for whatever reason, supporters of President Bush find "Bushite" offensive. That's their perogative, and so I just avoid using the term "Bushite," the same as I avoid using any other term that people find offensive.

All of that said, I'm not going to refuse to respond to someone who has something otherwise worthwhile to discuss simply because they are referring to our candidates as "McSame" or "Obambi."
Old 06-10-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree. I also very consciously refer to candidates by their last names, not first names.
Old 06-10-08, 11:16 AM

As for "Bushite" vs. "Reaganite" or "Clintonite," I do agree with CRM114 that there's no reason the former should be offensive while the latter two aren't. But for whatever reason, supporters of President Bush find "Bushite" offensive. That's their perogative, and so I just avoid using the term "Bushite," the same as I avoid using any other term that people find offensive.

Old 06-10-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
All of that said, I'm not going to refuse to respond to someone who has something otherwise worthwhile to discuss simply because they are referring to our candidates as "McSame" or "Obambi."
We're talking about changing the level of discussion in this forum, not meeting with Iran. Why do you appease the immature?
Old 06-10-08, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I agree. I also very consciously refer to candidates by their last names, not first names.
I use their middle names myself.

"Who do you support, Hussein or Sidney?"
Old 06-10-08, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
"Gorebull warming" is the only one I need. (Actually I like it but I've never used it because I have too much class.)
Old 06-10-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

With Groucho, Mordred and Tracer's help we are well on our way to reform.
Old 06-10-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sure, I agree. Simple enough since I don't think I've ever used a nickname for the candidates or their supporters anyhow. Good luck, but I think some people like the name calling too much to stop. The results of this thread should be interesting.

Last edited by hahn; 06-10-08 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Somehow I doubt the people who are really guilty of doing this will cease to do so, but now I've got this thread in my favorites and can easily refer to it.

And I was always partial to Barocky Hussein.

So, yes, I agree.
Old 06-10-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hahn
Sure, I agree. Simple enough since I don't think I've ever used a nickname for the candidates or their supporters anyhow. Good luck, but I think some people like the name calling too much to stop. I think this should be very interesting to see who will agree and who the notable absences are.
exactly. then we'll get to see the swift use (or lack thereof) of the Political Exile or three strikes rule or whatever idea that didn't work before or that certain members have continued to ignore.
Old 06-10-08, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Although I never use nicknames, I'll agree anyways. The only change for me will be to refrain from responding to anyone who does.
Old 06-10-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the one hand, constant use of demeaning nicknames just makes the person using them look puerile and unimaginative, like the office "cut-up" whose displays of wit consist of reciting SNL catch phrases.

On the other hand, I know I'd rather be called a silly nickname than evil, insane, or many of the other horrible things people regularly call public figures with little or no justification. This is much more damaging to serious debate but there's no move to ban it, and how would that work anyway? So I guess I don't think that getting rid of name-calling would heighten the level of discussion in any appreciable way, because what we really want to get rid of are opinions that are extreme, uninformed, or poorly thought out.

And by the way, reflexively attaching honorifics to people's names does not automatically bestow respect, especially when the rest of what you're saying is an attack. Consider:

(a) McPain is worse than Hitler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(b) Senator John McCain, senior Senator from the great state of Arizona, former POW and true American hero, is worse than Führer und Reichskanzler Adolf Hitler.

I guess the forum agrees that we would rather see (b).
Old 06-10-08, 01:46 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by dork
I guess the forum agrees that we would rather see (b).
It really is the more intelligent way to convey a childish argument.
Old 06-10-08, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by dork
On the one hand, constant use of demeaning nicknames just makes the person using them look puerile and unimaginative, like the office "cut-up" whose displays of wit consist of reciting SNL catch phrases.
Hey now, personal attacks are uncalled for.

Senator John McCain, senior Senator from the great state of Arizona, former POW and true American hero, is worse than Führer und Reichskanzler Adolf Hitler.
I must respectfully disagree, sir:

Spoiler:
Since he was born in Panama he'll never be American in my eyes.
Old 06-10-08, 03:29 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I love using puns and nicknames. I can be like N. Korea and post that I'll stop and then keep doing it. That way eveyone can be happy.
Old 06-10-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
I love using puns and nicknames. I can be like N. Korea and post that I'll stop and then keep doing it. That way eveyone can be happy.
You may end up like the Janjaweed in Darfur. Killing, raping and using puns, but entirely ignored by the world at large.
Old 06-10-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Clintonite sounds cool. It may even be able to weaken Superman.

I agree unless I come up with a really good nickname. Like McDouche. That's good.
Old 06-10-08, 04:10 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

McVain, McPain all good ones.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.