Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

What's the cost of a vote?

Old 06-04-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

What's the cost of a vote?

Let's assume you're either someone who can't vote or you're in such a solid red/blue state that voting for "the other candidate" won't actually help. But you still want "your candidate" to do well in one of the swing states?

What's the cost of one vote? Would $50 be enough in funds to basically reach out and get that one vote for your candidate (be it through activism, advertising, etc.)? Or would you need a higher amount, like $100 or $500?

I've heard that it takes $500 million to run a succesful campaign (from articles that talked about Bloomberg using his own money to run). Last presidential election had over 120 million votes, so each vote "cost" at least $5, although some of these people probably were not influenced by either campaign.

So... in your estimation, what's the cost of a vote?
Old 06-04-08, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once talked to a retired political operative from Boston. He told me the story of one election where he knew that his side had lost when he saw the opposition had all the bums lined up at the voting booths.

Cost of a vote? One hip flask.
Old 06-04-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So... <a href="http://www.thingsremembered.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TRproduct_10001_9951_598703___">$25.00 plus $3 shipping plus cost of liquor</a>.
Old 06-04-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A vote for the democrat will cost you for years to come.
Old 06-04-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't the Naderoids try this back in 2000?
Old 06-04-08, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Pretty high in NH. Pretty low in NY or CA.
Old 06-05-08, 06:47 AM
Banned

A Supreme Pizza.

Actually, decided to edit because I simply do not understand why it should cost any substantial amount to "run" a "campaign". If one can get on the ballot & has any name recognition at all, it seems that one could lease or buy a couple or reliable vans or RV's and travel around the country speaking to media outlets (who are hungry for anything to feed the news cycle). Why anyone pays any attention to stupid & obnoxious television & radio ads, yard signs, billboards, telephone calls, emails, etc. is beyond me. All they do is influence me negatively toward the candidates for interrupting my life. If I want to hear a candidate's views, there are tons of resources such as televised debates, campaign rallies, news reports, magazine articles, internet commentaries, etc.

And what the heck do all those starstruck "grassroots" workers do? We make jokes about telemarketers & Jehovah's witnesses assaulting us at home...why should we feel any differently toward brainwashed 'campaign workers' who bother us (as if we aren't intelligent enough to learn about the candidates on our own & should trust the one-sided information the 'canvassers' present).

If the electorate is so impressed by the candidate who can spend the most money bombarding us with propoganda (when the money could have been spend on the causes that the candidates supposedly "care" so much about), then we deserve the incompetent, immoral, corrupt leaders we so often get. After all, if they can buy our votes...why should we expect them to be any different when they are approached by special interests?

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-05-08 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
A Supreme Pizza.

I simply do not understand why it should cost any substantial amount to "run" a "campaign". If one can get on the ballot & has any name recognition at all, it seems that one could lease or buy a couple or reliable vans or RV's and travel around the country speaking to media outlets (who are hungry for anything to feed the news cycle).
All I ask is that, if you ever decide to run for office, you take your own advice.

Old 06-05-08, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk God

For the oldsters - a tube of dental adhesive