Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

State your political philosophy

Old 06-01-08, 12:59 AM
Needs to provide a working email

State your political philosophy

I'm the sort of person who doesn't care too much about political events; I care more about the underlying philosophies. So, what is your political philosophy? I'm not asking how you feel about particular issues (all that's covered nicely in other threads), but rather why you feel the way you do. Basically, what's the role of government? the people? What has affected your political philosophy?

I'll post mine later, probably, when I can write it all down. All I'll say for now is that I emphasize a separation of the political and the personal. i.e., it's one thing to disapprove of gay unions, but quite another to oppose them legally. I will never make fun of someone's personal beliefs, but if they try to impose those beliefs politically...well, I'll let the shit fly. Also that a key role of government is to ensure the survival of the state apparatus, without which the ideas of the state are lost. This usually means the upkeep of the military, but can, in certain times, extend to personal "freedoms." I'm the sort of person who will accept ten years of tyranny for every hundred of freedom, so long as the former ensures the latter.

Shed some light on the ideas you espouse in other, more current event-related threads. Let us know why the hell you think the way you do.

(Sorry if there's been a similar thread; I didn't find one in a quick search. Either way, it's good to have another.)
Old 06-01-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Populist
Old 06-01-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm
I'm the sort of person who doesn't care too much about political events; I care more about the underlying philosophies. So, what is your political philosophy? I'm not asking how you feel about particular issues (all that's covered nicely in other threads), but rather why you feel the way you do. Basically, what's the role of government? the people? What has affected your political philosophy?

I'll post mine later, probably, when I can write it all down. All I'll say for now is that I emphasize a separation of the political and the personal. i.e., it's one thing to disapprove of gay unions, but quite another to oppose them legally. I will never make fun of someone's personal beliefs, but if they try to impose those beliefs politically...well, I'll let the shit fly.
What are "personal beliefs"? As opposed to what, popular beliefs? That there should be one set of rules that I have to abide by and a separate set of rules for everyone else to?
Old 06-01-08, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I guess I would describe myself as a Classical Liberal, which is of course extremely different from New Liberalism (New Liberalism probably came into being with FDR's idealogy, which advocated a greater interventionilist role for the federal government both domestically and internationally.) So a Classic Liberal philosophy of old is probably closer to current conservative or libertarian trains of thought. Although Neoconservatism is actually much closer to FDR's New Liberalism, and was in fact originated by many from the left who were uncomfortable with the counterculture, anti-American direction that New Liberalism had taken and instead wanted something closer to the old New Liberalism. Thus, Neoconservatism could be considered old New Liberalism, and Classical Liberalism is really modern (non-neo) conservatism/ libertarianism. As opposed to Neoconservatism, my Classical Liberalism might have more in common with Paleoconservatism. It's all quite simple, really.

In a nutshell, my political philosophy is founded upon hatred of the leftist/multiculturalists who are either active collaborators with or naive fellow-travelers of those who seek to destroy Western civilization and its liberal values.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 06-01-08 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-01-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Well, I guess I would describe myself as a Classical Liberal, which is of course extremely different from New Liberalism (New Liberalism probably came into being with FDR's idealogy, which advocated a greater interventionilist role for the federal government both domestically and internationally.) So a Classic Liberal philosophy of old is probably closer to current conservative or libertarian trains of thought. Although Neoconservatism is actually much closer to FDR's New Liberalism, and was in fact originated by many from the left who were uncomfortable with the counterculture, anti-American direction that New Liberalism had taken and instead wanted something closer to the old New Liberalism. Thus, Neoconservatism could be considered old New Liberalism, and Classical Liberalism is really modern (non-neo) conservatism/ libertarianism. As opposed to Neoconservatism, my Classical Liberalism might have more in common with Paleoconservatism. It's all quite simple, really.

In a nutshell, my political philosophy is founded upon hatred of the leftist/multiculturalists who are either active collaborators with or naive fellow-travelers of those who seek to destroy Western civilization and its liberal values.
Old 06-01-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Actually, that's a fair reprobation (even considering the fact that my post was hardly 100% serious). I should have said my political philosophy is founded upon pure, unadulterated hatred of leftISM/multiculturalISM, as I really do not hate eXcentris.
Old 06-01-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I often find that your more reasonable beliefs are based on pure, unadulterated hatred.
Old 06-01-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I often find that your more reasonable beliefs are based on pure, unadulterated hatred.
My problem is that I keep winding up with the adulterated stuff. They cut it with turpentine and it's just murder on your sinuses. Anyone know where I can get some of the pure stuff?
Old 06-01-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think we should live at peace with everyone, sharing with one another with no need for taxation or laws. Which works great until people keep things to themselves, steal, rape and kill. So until we figure those things out, I'll just try to keep the taxes to a minimum, sharing to a maximum, and peace... well, peace just ain't gonna happen anywhere but your mind.
Old 06-02-08, 11:07 AM

My political philosophy is based on two things: change and straight talk. As you can imagine, it's been a tough year.
Old 06-02-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk God

It is based on wanting to be left alone and wanting to keep the money I earn.
Old 06-02-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by kvrdave
There is another group of people that just want "the man" off of their backs. They are called hippies.
Old 06-02-08, 12:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
There is another group of people that just want "the man" off of their backs. They are called hippies.
kvrdave is the hippie of his church you know.
Old 06-02-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I want to keep the money you earn too. It is why I am a liberal.
Old 06-02-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
My political philosophy is based on two things: change and straight talk. As you can imagine, it's been a tough year.
Well I got some good news for you! Come this November, there is a 100% chance of change! (but 0% chance of straight talk if Obama or Hillary get elected!)
Old 06-02-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Most of the political tests I have put me somewhere in the center, although on economic issues I'm on the right.
Old 06-02-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People should be free to do what they want as long as their actions don't violate others' right to do the same. The gov't should maintain citizens' ability to live their lives in safety and stay the hell out of most other areas. Those guidelines probably don't encompass the whole of my political beliefs, but I'd be pretty damn happy if they were met.
Old 06-02-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I essentially agree with maxfisher.

I support free collaboration between individuals in their personal lives including any business they engage in. If the government wishes to limit or regulate these behaviors it must be fully justified and accomplished with minimal intervention possible.

I don't see a difference between your right to engage in business with a member of a different state and your right to engage with a person from another country. I see very few reasons why it's any of the government's business to regulate, prevent, or encourage any of these activities, and the governments proclivity towards doing so has been a major obstacle in humanity's progress.

I'm actually a bit liberal in regards to some social programs, in as much as I believe a society as prosperous as ours can afford to provide some safety nets for its citizens. The problem is we've lost sight of the proper scope and direction of some of these programs. I'm a big proponent of science research, public health programs, and I think if we truly adopted free trade we'd require some kind of re-education opportunities as well as a public insurance to help trade displaced workers.
Old 06-02-08, 02:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

I want to keep the money you earn too. It is why I am a liberal.
I want the government to have everyone's money. That's why I'm a liberal.
Old 06-02-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
I want the government to have everyone's money. That's why I'm a liberal.
As long as we're both in agreement that Dave shouldn't have any money.
Old 06-02-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As long as we're both in agreement that Dave shouldn't have any money.
Your ideas intrigue me. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Old 06-02-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Must not be nice.
Old 06-02-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk God

butts.
Old 06-02-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To quote Bill Maher:

"Don't touch me, and don't touch my stuff."
Old 06-03-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My philosophy?

Get the government out of my life. Stop stealing my money and giving it to someone else.

The government does far too much and has become a nanny state. The current liberals/democrats want to treat us like children. They know better than we do about everything - just ask them!

Government should set up an economic system, have a police force and military to protect its citizens from all threats foreign and domestic (which includes protecting our borders and regulating who gets in to the country), should set up an education system, build roads, regulate certain vital industries (vital industries), and provide a minimum financial safety net for those who really need it.

I believe in lower taxes and smaller government.

Let's face it, government does very little well, and almost nothing efficiently. Let the private sector handle more - regulate it if absolutely necessary, but let the private sector handle things it can do better and more efficiently. Let state and local governments handle more than they currently do.

I'm in favor of a free market economy with some regulations (if another country has unfair trade practices, or has labor that is willing to work for amounts that no American can afford to work for, then regulate which businesses can move there, and tax them if they do).

Capitalism is the best system we've seen. It encourages people to work harder by giving them greater rewards for doing so. It encourages innovation.

Those are some things that I believe in philosophically.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.