Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rep. Baron Hill (D-IN) - Foot In Mouth

Old 05-31-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rep. Baron Hill (D-IN) - Foot In Mouth

My local representative to Congress, Baron Hill, just blamed the Bush administration for something that happened on HIS watch:

linky: http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/sto...qp-3084913.sto
Hill vows action on high oil prices

With gas prices at record highs, Indiana congressman Baron Hill said he and other politicians are doing all they can to help bring the cost of gasoline down, and he intends to work on a bill next week that will further address market manipulation.

Congress, he said, has already passed a number of bills that should have an impact at the pump, including one that will temporarily suspend sending oil to the nation’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve.

He acknowledged today that the total savings could be as little as a nickel, or as much as a quarter a gallon, depending who you ask. “Every penny counts,” the 9th District congressman told a group gathered in the Bloomington Boys and Girls Club.

It isn’t the oil producers who are at fault, Hill said, but rather those who are purposely driving the price of oil up in the marketplace to profit from it.

“We’re going to get into the weeds on what exactly is going on with these traders who are speculating on future contracts,” Hill said. “This is causing the price of gasoline and the price of a barrel of oil to go up artificially. I’m told by economists that the price for a barrel of oil ought to be around $80 a barrel if you base it on supply and demand. But because these speculators are buying futures contracts in large volumes, it’s artificially increasing the price of a barrel of oil.”

“I think we need those regulations put back on place where they were in 2000,” Hill said. “In the year 2000, the Bush administration removed those regulations, so now these speculators are able to do anything that they want to do in order to drive that price up so they can make a lot of money. And that practice needs to stop.”
George Bush ran for president in 2000, won the election in November, and was inaugurated in January 2001. The year 2000 was during the Clinton Administration, with Hill serving in Congress. So if any relief actually happened that year, it was a Democratic initiative.

I can't tell if Hill isn't capable of remembering simple facts, or if he's just making something up that he thinks his constituents aren't smart enough to see through. The way I see it, this is either ignorance, arrogance, or just plain old dishonesty.
Old 05-31-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
I can't tell if Hill isn't capable of remembering simple facts, or if he's just making something up that he thinks his constituents aren't smart enough to see through. The way I see it, this is either ignorance, arrogance, or just plain old dishonesty.
A lot of this goes on with both sides. It's always easier to blame the other side than blame yourself - even if you need to make things up.

When the Democrats won congress last election they said they had plans they would immediately execute to lower oil prices, bring home the troops from Iraq and a whole host of other things. I doubt if you'll see them admitting they failed or lied but rather they will point the finger elsewhere. That's politics.
Old 05-31-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He could also be generalizing because bush was "elected" in 2000, but don't let that stop you stop you.
Old 05-31-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From the same box of stupid:

Originally Posted by Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz
“I can’t say that there is evidence that you are manipulating the price, but I believe that you probably are. So prove to me that you are not.”
Ms. Schultz, I can't say that there is evidence that you enjoy screwing farmyard animals and beat your children, but I believe that you are. Prove that I'm wrong
Old 05-31-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
He could also be generalizing because bush was "elected" in 2000, but don't let that stop you stop you.
You could also be generalizing because Bush was sworn in in 2001, but don't let that stop you.
Old 05-31-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazyronin
From the same box of stupid:

Ms. Schultz, I can't say that there is evidence that you enjoy screwing farmyard animals and beat your children, but I believe that you are. Prove that I'm wrong

Also, IIRC from my debate class, you really can't prove a negative. It's a logical fallacy (like a non sequitur or an ad hominem attack) and is a sure-fire way to lose the debate.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 05-31-08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Then again, the political party that puts drilling of most known reserves off limits could be manipulating supply, while asserting (falsely) "We can't drill our way out of this."

A little flooding of the market with "new oil" would do more to lower prices than all the Congressional investigations these clowns can imagine.
Old 05-31-08, 12:49 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Then again, the political party that puts drilling of most known reserves off limits could be manipulating supply, while asserting (falsely) "We can't drill our way out of this."
Just to show how stupid Chuck Shumer thinks his supporters are, he said that the saudis adding extra oil from their drilling will lower the price 60 or so cents. But when people talk about drilling the same amount of oil in Anwar and adding it to what is already being drilled, would only lower the price of gasoline 2 or 3 cents.
Old 05-31-08, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jason
Given the amount of emotional energy Democrats have been expending since Bush took office, you'd think they would have a more accurate knowledge of when that event took place.
Old 05-31-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey! Cut the guy some slack. He's nobility. That makes him better than the rest of us.
Old 06-03-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Given the amount of emotional energy Democrats have been expending since Bush took office, you'd think they would have a more accurate knowledge of when that event took place.
Old 06-03-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by OldDude

A little flooding of the market with "new oil" would do more to lower prices than all the Congressional investigations these clowns can imagine.
I agree with the first sentence.

I don't agree with the second sentence. 'We can't drill our way out of this' is a true statement - simplistic, maybe, but true.
Old 06-03-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by classicman2
We can't drill our way out of this' is a true statement - simplistic, maybe, but true.
Why do you believe this specifically?