Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

FOXNEWS #1 For the 77th consecutive month...

Old 05-29-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

FOXNEWS #1 For the 77th consecutive month...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/..._top_85816.asp

May Ratings: FNC Stays On Top

For the 77th consecutive month, FNC finished first in total day and prime time ratings during May. FNC was the sixth highest rated cable network on all of basic cable during prime time for the month (CNN and MSNBC finished 19th and 26th) and the seventh rated network in total day (CNN and MSNBC were 19th and 27th).

FNC also had 11 out of the top 13 programs in cable during the month in Total Viewers. The O'Reilly Factor was the #1 program in cable news for the 90th consecutive month, and saw gains in Total Viewers year-to-year (26%).

Amercia's Newsroom (9-11amET) was up 30% year-to-year, with the program averaging more viewers than CNN and MSNBC combined during the time period.

Meanwhile, On the Record with Greta Van Susteren has been #1 for 73 consecutive months in Total Viewers while Hannity & Colmes has been #1 in its timeslot for 54 consecutive months.
With the apparent intense hatred for Fox News by so many.. why is it #1 over and over again? Is it that it tends to pander to the right so EVERYONE on the right watches is while the people on the left tend to get their news from various sources? Is it that the people they've hired are just better than other networks?

I'm hoping, but doubtful, that this thread will not turn into a huge pissing match but rather focus on what is really the recipe for success here? Maybe during war time people want an optimistic spin? Thoughts?
Old 05-29-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
I'm hoping, but doubtful, that this thread will not turn into a huge pissing match
A pissing match in the "#1" thread is a lot better than the kind of match that takes place in the "#2" thread.
Old 05-29-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For some reason (don't know if it's pertains to Fox News), I'm picturing a scene from Private Parts:

Researcher: The average radio listener listens for eighteen minutes. The average Howard Stern fan listens for - are you ready for this? - an hour and twenty minutes.
Pig Vomit: How can that be?
Researcher: Answer most commonly given? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Pig Vomit: Okay, fine. But what about the people who hate Stern?
Researcher: Good point. The average Stern hater listens for two and a half hours a day.
Pig Vomit: But... if they hate him, why do they listen?
Researcher: Most common answer? "I want to see what he'll say next."
Old 05-29-08, 01:48 PM

It's my experience that they aim to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with lots of flashy graphics and sensationalist reporting, coupled with a focus on bland human interest stories instead of what I would call "real" news. CNN is also guilty of this, but maybe not to as great a degree. I don't watch either very much so I could be completely wrong. MSNBC has the largest emphasis on political stories so that's what I watch.
Old 05-29-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by wendersfan
It's my experience that they aim to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with lots of flashy graphics...
I haven't seen a cable news show in quite a while, but the last time I watched a fox show I remember being very annoyed with this. I just want the news and/or commentary. I don't want the screen filled with fifty different boxes and intro screens to every segment.
Old 05-29-08, 01:59 PM
Banned

It's my experience that they aim to appeal to the lowest common denominator, with lots of flashy graphics and sensationalist reporting, coupled with a focus on bland human interest stories instead of what I would call "real" news. CNN is also guilty of this, but maybe not to as great a degree. I don't watch either very much so I could be completely wrong. MSNBC has the largest emphasis on political stories so that's what I watch.
You forgot to mention FOXNEWS gives both side's point of view even if that makes the left side look bad. And that's why the left hates FOXNEWS and why Hollywood celebs appear on Larry King instead of FOXNEWS during that time slot.
Old 05-29-08, 02:01 PM
Admin-Thanos

I think they've tapped into Conservative opinion that the rest of the news media is biased against Conservatives, so their viewers are intensely loyal.
Old 05-29-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
I think they've tapped into Conservative opinion that the rest of the news media is biased against Conservatives, so their viewers are intensely loyal.
That's too deep.

Basically, FoxNews is the NY Post of cable news channels. wendersfan nailed it.
Old 05-29-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wm lopez
You forgot to mention FOXNEWS gives both side's point of view even if that makes the left side look bad. And that's why the left hates FOXNEWS and why Hollywood celebs appear on Larry King instead of FOXNEWS during that time slot.
Yes, that... what?
Old 05-29-08, 02:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by sracer
That's too deep.

Basically, FoxNews is the NY Post of cable news channels. wendersfan nailed it.
I hate the NY Post.
Old 05-29-08, 02:10 PM

I agree with wendersfan, even though he hasn't backed up his claims with a graph. Fox is #1 because of its low-brow sensationalist reporting. It has nothing to do with stock markets. Joe Blow doesn't care about the latest Wall Street news...especially when there's a missing pretty white woman somewhere.
Old 05-29-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The reason Fox News is #1 is they have a huge niche of people that are fed up with the news stations which they perceive as liberal. Now whether that is true, that is not my point, there is a perception that the nightly news and CNN & MSNBC are slanted to the left, and Fox News was the first TV station/cable station that leaned to the right to speak to those people. All of my conservative friends watch Fox News for that reason, the same reason they listen to talk radio, they want to hear someone on 'their side.'

Me personally, I am a conservative, but I want to hear both sides. I watch Fox News, yet I also watch Chris Matthews, The Abrams Report, read the Huffington Post, listen to NPR and Rush Limbaugh, and watch Bill Maher, so I get a full range of views on every political subject.
Old 05-29-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

lets sum it up...

if you have your own personal bias against reasonably balanced news coverage, and you've lost your ability to discern the difference anymore because you have been gobbling up extremely biased news for years...

you're going to try and cook up some demeaning reason why Fox News is #1... it CAN'T be that most of America wants news coverage that makes, even an attempt, to be balanced in coverage, it can't be that most of America has some amount of leaning towards a 'conservative' viewpoint...

it MUST be something else...

Old 05-29-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
I agree with wendersfan, even though he hasn't backed up his claims with a graph. Fox is #1 because of its low-brow sensationalist reporting. It has nothing to do with stock markets. Joe Blow doesn't care about the latest Wall Street news...especially when there's a missing pretty white woman somewhere.
For a second there I thought you were talking about DVDTalk.
Old 05-29-08, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by coli
I watch Fox News, yet I also watch Chris Matthews, The Abrams Report, read the Huffington Post, listen to NPR and Rush Limbaugh, and watch Bill Maher, so I get a full range of views on every political subject.
I wish I had your intestinal fortitude.

Old 05-29-08, 02:15 PM

I watch Fox News because I am a liberal and enjoy the opposite opinion, no matter how ridiculous I may find it. Truly is the most entertaining, and in my mind, most informative news channel out there. When I want an opinion I agree with I turn Air America on, which is a radio station of course, not televised news.
Old 05-29-08, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by John Slider
When I want an opinion I agree with I turn Air America on, which is a radio station of course, not televised news.
"Air America: Where our hosts make NPR commentators seem young and vibrant!"
Old 05-29-08, 02:30 PM

I wish I had your intestinal fortitude.

But its fun to listen to both sides, especially the extremes. If you listen to one side all the time, you hear the same talking points and it kinda gets old. I love to watch Bill Maher and see the real extreme liberals talk about how much they hate Bush, they hate Religion, and how they want to leave the country, and kinda laugh at them that they go through life with a hatred of Bush so much they can't think rationally anymore. The same went for some of my conservative friends during the Clinton years, they hated him so much, they would never give him credit for anything.
Old 05-29-08, 02:52 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

I enjoy watching Fox News because it's nice to hear a conservative viewpoint brought up not for the sole purpose of mocking it.
Old 05-29-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just wish Fox News was in HD like CNN.
Old 05-29-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

what ever happened to that comedy show Fox News had on (no not Hannity and Colmes)? that show didn't seem to do so well. all they do well is have flashy graphics and yell.....not to mention being a mouthpiece for the admin.

Last edited by dick_grayson; 05-29-08 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-29-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy
I just wish Fox News was in HD like CNN.
Bill O'Reilly in HD would be more than a little scary.
Old 05-29-08, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
what ever happened to that comedy show Fox News had on (no not Hannity and Colmes)? that show didn't seem to do so well. all they do well is have flashy graphics and yell.....not to mention being a mouthpiece for the admin.
The 1/2 Hour News Hour or something like that. It was horrible, it was intended to be the conservative answer to Colbert/Stewart but it was just a really, really bad Republican SNL, with horrible Dennis Miller segments as send-offs.
Old 05-29-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watch CNN because I'd rather watch news with a differing view from my own. It tends to reaffirm my beliefs.
Old 05-29-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
lets sum it up...

if you have your own personal bias against reasonably balanced news coverage, and you've lost your ability to discern the difference anymore because you have been gobbling up extremely biased news for years...

you're going to try and cook up some demeaning reason why Fox News is #1... it CAN'T be that most of America wants news coverage that makes, even an attempt, to be balanced in coverage, it can't be that most of America has some amount of leaning towards a 'conservative' viewpoint...

it MUST be something else...

You're overreaching here. The Fox News audience is hardly 'most of America'. It's not even most of the people watching TV at any given time. Fox News is #1, but the ratings reflect a couple million people.

A huge reason Fox News is #1 is because of audience loyalty. They have a relatively large audience that watches for hours at a time each day, while the other news nets' viewers watch a fraction of that amount. I believe if you look at total, cumulative viewers for each net per day, Fox News wouldn't be #1.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.