Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Will McCain's rejection of minister's endorsement hurt him?
Yes, he needed the Christian right like Bush did.
33.33%
No, he was going to lose anyway.
66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

McCain rejects minister's endorsement

Old 05-23-08, 04:55 AM
Banned

McCain rejects minister's endorsement

In the face of mounting controversy over headline-grabbing statements from the Rev. John Hagee, CNN has learned that presumptive Republican nominee John McCain decided Thursday to reject his endorsement...
Old 05-23-08, 07:18 AM
Banned

Didn't vote in the poll because neither choice seemed applicable.

Don't think the former applies because a candidate's rejection of a particular minister's endorsement is unlikely to affect the votes of any except that minister's most devoted followers. Does anyone think that Obama will lose votes because he 'rejected' the views of his former minister...that his supporters will either stay home or switch political allegiances as a result? Highly improbable...and that was a repudiation of a person who was identified as Obama's friend, mentor, confidante, and personal pastor with a twenty-year relationship.

Likewise, it's not a given that McCain is going to lose anyway. The Democrats have perfected the art of giving away sure things (as evidenced by the last two elections and much-discussed in this cycle's primary bloodbath between Clinton & Barack).
Old 05-23-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I read the "pro-Nazi" stuff form Hagee. It wasn't pro-nazi. Hagee basically said that God will was accomplished despite what the nazi's did. that's a pretty standard view by a lot of Christians. Am I missing something?

Do people not realize Hagee is ultra-pro-Israel?
Old 05-23-08, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Venusian
I read the "pro-Nazi" stuff form Hagee. It wasn't pro-nazi. Hagee basically said that God will was accomplished despite what the nazi's did. that's a pretty standard view by a lot of Christians. Am I missing something?

Do people not realize Hagee is ultra-pro-Israel?
I thought that what he was saying is that God was working through Adolf Hitler and the Nazis in order to establish Isreal. Which is still a pro-Israel message, but a terribly offensive one.
Old 05-23-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think being ultra-pro-Israel in this country precludes you from being anti-Semitic. But I'm with Creek, I don't think this rejection will mean much of anything.
Old 05-23-08, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by starman9000
I don't think being ultra-pro-Israel in this country precludes you from being anti-Semitic. But I'm with Creek, I don't think this rejection will mean much of anything.

Ya know, Starman, I think the only real damage could come if McCain overreacts and starts prostrating himself before every liberal icon to ingratiate himself. That might disgust his base who admire his 'maverick' image.

Perhaps the most damaging thing is if he has to make too many off-the-cuff disclaimers. Unlike the oratorically-gifted Obama, McCain is not known for his fluency on the speech circuit.
Old 05-23-08, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Didn't vote in the poll because neither choice seemed applicable.
IAWTP
Old 05-23-08, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually appreciated what Hagee said after the fact, that he was also withdrawing his endorsement so McCain could focus on things that actually matter to the country.
Old 05-23-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Senator McCain has cut loose another pastor -- Reverend Rod Parsley, who said that America had been founded with the purpose of destroying Islam.

The real question for Senator McCain is how the Christian right sees these rejections. If they understand them to be done with a wink and a nod to placate the left, then there's no damage to Senator McCain. If they think they are genuine, then this is a problem for Senator McCain in the fall.
Old 05-23-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF
Reverend Rod Parsley, who said that America had been founded with the purpose of destroying Islam.

So that's why Jefferson had a copy of the Koran in his library - to use as a scouting report.
Old 05-23-08, 09:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
So that's why Jefferson had a copy of the Koran in his library - to use as a scouting report.
I'm glad I already finished my coffee because it would have been spurting out my nose right now otherwise.
Old 05-23-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
IAWTP
" I Am Whacking The Penir"?

As a mod, you should know to please stay on topic.
Old 05-23-08, 09:43 AM

I see the impending long weekend is bringing out the silly.

<b>This needs to stop.</b>
Old 05-23-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please leave creating polls with poor choices to grundle.
Old 05-23-08, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The real question for Senator McCain is how the Christian right sees these rejections. If they understand them to be done with a wink and a nod to placate the left, then there's no damage to Senator McCain. If they think they are genuine, then this is a problem for Senator McCain in the fall.
I don't think most of the Christian right even knows who these guys are or care. His rejection (then embrace) of Falwell, sadly, has a bigger impact
Old 05-23-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
I thought that what he was saying is that God was working through Adolf Hitler and the Nazis in order to establish Isreal. Which is still a pro-Israel message, but a terribly offensive one.
Not sure if Hagee is reformed or not, but based on his theology, that same statement can be read many way. Either way, he wasn't intending for it to be offensive. He was just trying to read prophecy into what happened in the 40s. Which by the way, I dont agree with
Old 05-23-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree with Venusian.

However, I wish he would used the term fundamenetalist instead of Christian right.
Old 05-23-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

People who say offensive things often don't intend them to be offensive. That doesn't make them any less offensive. Reverend Hagee is an ignorant man who views everything through the warped lens of his bizarre apocalyptic beliefs. It's troubling that such a man has any measure of power, let alone that a man who would be President thinks his support is worth courting.
Old 05-23-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk God

I've read a fair amount by Hagee. He seems very similar to LaHaye and others that are big on Escatology.

They all tend to say the same thing...."Even though not even Jesus knew when the End Times would come about, I've figured it out....read on."

Definately an evangelical guy, but I found him to be fairly average.
Old 05-23-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

People who say offensive things often don't intend them to be offensive. That doesn't make them any less offensive. Reverend Hagee is an ignorant man who views everything through the warped lens of his bizarre apocalyptic beliefs. It's troubling that such a man has any measure of power, let alone that a man who would be President thinks his support is worth courting.
Likewise, a lot of people are just looking to be offended, and are more offended by the ideology of a person, rather than what is actually said.

We need to quit being offended based on what we think someone might have meant.
Old 05-23-08, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted yes, because McCain does need the Christian Right like Bush did, but the rejection also hurts him because it brings attention back to Hagee. After he apologized and was meeting some Catholic League guy, the issue seemed to go away.

But I don't know if Hagee did something afterwards that would provoke McCain into rejecting him.
Old 05-23-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

nice poll

What is your favorite color?

A) Gray
B) Brown
Old 05-23-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
They all tend to say the same thing...."Even though not even Jesus knew when the End Times would come about, I've figured it out....read on."
lol, that's a good summary. Yeah, I'm just not into reading deep theology into every event in the world... I think they just end up digging themselves a deeper hole...

Let's get back to basics already... preach the word, help the poor, etc.

I don't think any of these endorsements means a whole lot, and I think they're silly. How many people are going to say..."well golly gee, so and so approves of him, so that means I'm gonna vote for him too!" (actually probably more than I'd like to know.... lazy thinkers)
Old 05-23-08, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I've read a fair amount by Hagee. He seems very similar to LaHaye and others that are big on Escatology.
Wow. And their followers are OK with them being into this sort of, um, alternate sexual lifestyle?
Old 05-23-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wow. And their followers are OK with them being into this sort of, um, alternate sexual lifestyle?
Eschatolosexual - The minute I laid eyes on her, I knew she would be the end of me.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.