Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: racist?
racist
71.43%
not racist
28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Is this pic racist?

Old 05-13-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this pic racist?

A Monkey holding a banana with Obama 08 under it- very racist

to prove I didn't draw the pic url below

http://www.drudgereport.com/cg.jpg

someone's got a sick sense of humor

Last edited by Bacon; 05-13-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-13-08, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both racist and homophobic.
Old 05-13-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Let's drop the OP off in Harlem or a college campus wearing that shirt for a day and find out.
Old 05-13-08, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Let's drop the OP off in Harlem or a college campus wearing that shirt for a day and find out.
wrong side out?
Old 05-13-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Unless the op is Officer John Mcclane i wouldn't recommend it.
Old 05-13-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably racist because of historical context of racism, but I find it sad that it is considered racist.
Old 05-13-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
obama's ears sort of stick out like chimp ears

but I doubt the creator of that shirt thought that much into it, they probably made it due to racism
Old 05-13-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The creator of this shirt is a bar in Georgia that has also posted a sign that said "Too bad Hillary wasn't married to O.K. Simpson." So we're not exactly talking about somebody who has any sense of the appropriate.
Old 05-13-08, 07:55 PM
X
Administrator

How about these?

Old 05-13-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Excellent point, X. I wish people would stop alluding to that racist trope of equating white people with monkeys.
Old 05-13-08, 08:33 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by JasonF
Excellent point, X. I wish people would stop alluding to that racist trope of equating white people with monkeys.
Or ears that stick out.

Just like using Obama's middle name is Muslim identifying (or whatever it's blamed on) but calling Dan Quayle "J. Danforth Quayle" or Richard Nixon "Richard Milhous Nixon" is just fine.
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because context is irrelevant, of course.
Old 05-13-08, 10:11 PM
Suspended

I've never known monkeys to be associated with a group of Europeans in a historical context.
Old 05-13-08, 10:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Probably racist because of historical context of racism, but I find it sad that it is considered racist.
Yep. It should be ok to compare anyone, no matter what the color, to a monkey. Because hey, monkeys do crazy things. But since we have a historical context for a particular group of people...it's not ok.

So, we have Bush jokes.
Old 05-14-08, 05:47 AM
Suspended

yes
Old 05-14-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
You are ridiculous.
Old 05-14-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
Or ears that stick out.

Just like using Obama's middle name is Muslim identifying (or whatever it's blamed on) but calling Dan Quayle "J. Danforth Quayle" or Richard Nixon "Richard Milhous Nixon" is just fine.
That's a bizarre argument. The only people who ever used "J. Danforth Quayle" or "Richard Milhous Nixon" are the folks at Encyclopedia Brittanica. In the context of an election, no one made a point of bringing up Nixon's middle name, or Dan Quayle's full name, or the middle name of practically any other major candidate. Once they get elected, people occasionally use the full name for historical purposes (or, in the case of William Jefferson Clinton, when they get impeached), but not in the campaign.

Case in point: without checking, can you tell me the middle name of either Hillary Clinton or John McCain? And if you can, do you honestly believe that even 5% of the electorate could?

Spoiler:
No, Hillary's middle name is not "Rodham" -- that's her maiden name, and it's usually brought up in a disparaging, anti-feminist way.
Old 05-14-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They use her maiden name disparagingly? What?? Please.

I don't see anything racist about using Obama's middle name. But then again, I don't see anything wrong with Hussein as a midde name.
Old 05-14-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
They use her maiden name disparagingly? What?? Please.

I don't see anything racist about using Obama's middle name. But then again, I don't see anything wrong with Hussein as a midde name.
Not racist -- it's the whole "anti-Muslim" thing. Surely you can see that the name "Hussein" might have some negative connotations for some people?
Old 05-14-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NCMojo
That's a bizarre argument. The only people who ever used "J. Danforth Quayle" or "Richard Milhous Nixon" are the folks at Encyclopedia Brittanica. In the context of an election, no one made a point of bringing up Nixon's middle name, or Dan Quayle's full name, or the middle name of practically any other major candidate. Once they get elected, people occasionally use the full name for historical purposes (or, in the case of William Jefferson Clinton, when they get impeached), but not in the campaign.

Case in point: without checking, can you tell me the middle name of either Hillary Clinton or John McCain? And if you can, do you honestly believe that even 5% of the electorate could?

Spoiler:
No, Hillary's middle name is not "Rodham" -- that's her maiden name, and it's usually brought up in a disparaging, anti-feminist way.
Spoiler:
She also made it an issue by dropping "Rodham" for apparent political considerations.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/..._drops_rodham/
btw, I guessed her middle name correctly.
Spoiler:
Old 05-14-08, 09:08 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by NCMojo
Not racist -- it's the whole "anti-Muslim" thing. Surely you can see that the name "Hussein" might have some negative connotations for some people?
Absolutely. Barack (Saddam) Hussein Obama. People like Sean Hannity make sure they say it as often as possible (the Hussein part, not the Saddam part).
Old 05-14-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I think it is hard to say if it is racist or not (though I would lean more towards racist) as it is nearly impossible to know what the person who made it was thinking at the time. The person could just be clueless about racial matters.
Old 05-14-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You are ridiculous.
You butt. Why?
Old 05-14-08, 11:35 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I think it is hard to say if it is racist or not (though I would lean more towards racist) as it is nearly impossible to know what the person who made it was thinking at the time. The person could just be clueless about racial matters.
I think there are 2 issues here.

1) Was there any racist intent by the creator of the shirt? We may never know.
2) Is it realistic for someone to interpret this shirt as racist? I think that was the point of the OP's poll.
Old 05-14-08, 11:45 AM

My choice isn't a poll option. I think this image was deliberately chosen as something that could be interpreted as racist -- but also could easily be explained away as non-racist. That way, the person selling it gets instant notoriety from over-reaction -- and can calmly say "You're misinterpreting my intent!"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.