Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: racist?
racist
50
71.43%
not racist
20
28.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Is this pic racist?

Old 05-13-08, 07:00 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,919
Is this pic racist?



A Monkey holding a banana with Obama 08 under it- very racist

to prove I didn't draw the pic url below

http://www.drudgereport.com/cg.jpg


someone's got a sick sense of humor

Last edited by Bacon; 05-13-08 at 07:04 PM.
Bacon is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:09 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Both racist and homophobic.
dork is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,530
Let's drop the OP off in Harlem or a college campus wearing that shirt for a day and find out.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:11 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Bacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on somone's ignore list
Posts: 20,919
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Let's drop the OP off in Harlem or a college campus wearing that shirt for a day and find out.
wrong side out?
Bacon is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:14 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,463
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Let's drop the OP off in Harlem or a college campus wearing that shirt for a day and find out.
Unless the op is Officer John Mcclane i wouldn't recommend it.
mhg83 is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:21 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Probably racist because of historical context of racism, but I find it sad that it is considered racist.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:36 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Posts: 29,694
obama's ears sort of stick out like chimp ears

but I doubt the creator of that shirt thought that much into it, they probably made it due to racism
mikehunt is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 07:42 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,135
The creator of this shirt is a bar in Georgia that has also posted a sign that said "Too bad Hillary wasn't married to O.K. Simpson." So we're not exactly talking about somebody who has any sense of the appropriate.
JasonF is online now  
Old 05-13-08, 07:55 PM
  #9  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,684
How about these?





X is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 08:27 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,135
Excellent point, X. I wish people would stop alluding to that racist trope of equating white people with monkeys.
JasonF is online now  
Old 05-13-08, 08:33 PM
  #11  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,684
Originally Posted by JasonF
Excellent point, X. I wish people would stop alluding to that racist trope of equating white people with monkeys.
Or ears that stick out.

Just like using Obama's middle name is Muslim identifying (or whatever it's blamed on) but calling Dan Quayle "J. Danforth Quayle" or Richard Nixon "Richard Milhous Nixon" is just fine.
X is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 09:08 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Because context is irrelevant, of course.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 10:11 PM
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
I've never known monkeys to be associated with a group of Europeans in a historical context.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-13-08, 10:13 PM
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,192
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Probably racist because of historical context of racism, but I find it sad that it is considered racist.
Yep. It should be ok to compare anyone, no matter what the color, to a monkey. Because hey, monkeys do crazy things. But since we have a historical context for a particular group of people...it's not ok.

So, we have Bush jokes.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 05:47 AM
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,659
yes
Ronnie Dobbs is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 06:48 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Probably racist because of historical context of racism, but I find it sad that it is considered racist.
You are ridiculous.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 08:28 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Originally Posted by X
Or ears that stick out.

Just like using Obama's middle name is Muslim identifying (or whatever it's blamed on) but calling Dan Quayle "J. Danforth Quayle" or Richard Nixon "Richard Milhous Nixon" is just fine.
That's a bizarre argument. The only people who ever used "J. Danforth Quayle" or "Richard Milhous Nixon" are the folks at Encyclopedia Brittanica. In the context of an election, no one made a point of bringing up Nixon's middle name, or Dan Quayle's full name, or the middle name of practically any other major candidate. Once they get elected, people occasionally use the full name for historical purposes (or, in the case of William Jefferson Clinton, when they get impeached), but not in the campaign.

Case in point: without checking, can you tell me the middle name of either Hillary Clinton or John McCain? And if you can, do you honestly believe that even 5% of the electorate could?

Spoiler:
No, Hillary's middle name is not "Rodham" -- that's her maiden name, and it's usually brought up in a disparaging, anti-feminist way.
NCMojo is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 08:37 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,980
They use her maiden name disparagingly? What?? Please.

I don't see anything racist about using Obama's middle name. But then again, I don't see anything wrong with Hussein as a midde name.
Venusian is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 08:47 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 14,204
Originally Posted by Venusian
They use her maiden name disparagingly? What?? Please.

I don't see anything racist about using Obama's middle name. But then again, I don't see anything wrong with Hussein as a midde name.
Not racist -- it's the whole "anti-Muslim" thing. Surely you can see that the name "Hussein" might have some negative connotations for some people?
NCMojo is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 09:04 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,591
Originally Posted by NCMojo
That's a bizarre argument. The only people who ever used "J. Danforth Quayle" or "Richard Milhous Nixon" are the folks at Encyclopedia Brittanica. In the context of an election, no one made a point of bringing up Nixon's middle name, or Dan Quayle's full name, or the middle name of practically any other major candidate. Once they get elected, people occasionally use the full name for historical purposes (or, in the case of William Jefferson Clinton, when they get impeached), but not in the campaign.

Case in point: without checking, can you tell me the middle name of either Hillary Clinton or John McCain? And if you can, do you honestly believe that even 5% of the electorate could?

Spoiler:
No, Hillary's middle name is not "Rodham" -- that's her maiden name, and it's usually brought up in a disparaging, anti-feminist way.
Spoiler:
She also made it an issue by dropping "Rodham" for apparent political considerations.

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Quirks/..._drops_rodham/
btw, I guessed her middle name correctly.
Spoiler:
wishbone is online now  
Old 05-14-08, 09:08 AM
  #21  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,102
Originally Posted by NCMojo
Not racist -- it's the whole "anti-Muslim" thing. Surely you can see that the name "Hussein" might have some negative connotations for some people?
Absolutely. Barack (Saddam) Hussein Obama. People like Sean Hannity make sure they say it as often as possible (the Hussein part, not the Saddam part).
VinVega is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 09:31 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
I think it is hard to say if it is racist or not (though I would lean more towards racist) as it is nearly impossible to know what the person who made it was thinking at the time. The person could just be clueless about racial matters.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 10:47 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
You are ridiculous.
You butt. Why?
kvrdave is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 11:35 AM
  #24  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,102
Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I think it is hard to say if it is racist or not (though I would lean more towards racist) as it is nearly impossible to know what the person who made it was thinking at the time. The person could just be clueless about racial matters.
I think there are 2 issues here.

1) Was there any racist intent by the creator of the shirt? We may never know.
2) Is it realistic for someone to interpret this shirt as racist? I think that was the point of the OP's poll.
VinVega is offline  
Old 05-14-08, 11:45 AM
  #25  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,593
My choice isn't a poll option. I think this image was deliberately chosen as something that could be interpreted as racist -- but also could easily be explained away as non-racist. That way, the person selling it gets instant notoriety from over-reaction -- and can calmly say "You're misinterpreting my intent!"
Groucho is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.