Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Islam and the West

Old 06-16-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
First Amendment
Old 06-16-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
The scary thing is how many people in the West DON'T really support the idea of free speech, and are quite sympathetic to the idea of banning politically incorrect speech.
I always find that funny. I'm friends with a lot of very liberal (pro-gay rights, anti-war, bush is a fascist types) people. But I always hear stuff like "why don't they just oulaw the KKK, etc." When I ask them on what grounds, the answer is usually "Cuz they are racist!!!!".
Old 06-16-08, 07:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canada would be just a minor laughingstock if it didn't seem like it was puffed-up with so much misplaced self-importance.
Chief Justice Dickson said “there is much to be learned from First Amendment jurisprudence.” But he concluded that “the international commitment to eradicate hate propaganda and, most importantly, the special role given equality and multiculturalism in the Canadian Constitution necessitate a departure from the view, reasonably prevalent in America at present, that the suppression of hate propaganda is incompatible with the guarantee of free expression.”
Too bad the inmates are the ones deciding what hate propaganda. The ones accusing others of hate propaganda are distributing a book that tells people to kill and persecute others.
Old 06-17-08, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts
Chief Justice Dickson said “there is much to be learned from First Amendment jurisprudence.” But he concluded that “the international commitment to eradicate hate propaganda and, most importantly, the special role given equality and multiculturalism in the Canadian Constitution necessitate a departure from the view, reasonably prevalent in America at present, that the suppression of hate propaganda is incompatible with the guarantee of free expression.”
I'm happy to be a minor laughingstock since I agree with that statement.

Furthermore, the self-importance and arrogance mostly comes from Americans who constantly reduce "Western liberal values" to their own values and principles and try to apply them to the rest of the world.
Old 06-17-08, 10:09 AM
Banned

"suppression of hate propaganda is incompatible with the guarantee of free expression.”

Which is why you have the right to threads like these, and it is what gives others the right to point out hate speech.
Old 06-17-08, 10:21 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by eXcentris

Furthermore, the self-importance and arrogance mostly comes from Americans who constantly reduce "Western liberal values" to their own values and principles and try to apply them to the rest of the world.
Maybe Americans wouldn't feel so self important and arrogant if we wouldn't have had to defend "Western liberal values" by ourselves for the last 60 years.

What's Canada's defense budget again?

Must be nice to live in the shadows while someone else defends freedom.
Old 06-17-08, 11:26 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

No you didn't understand, your country would only be a minor laughingstock if it wasn't so puffed up with misplaced self-importance.
The US has been making the world safe from dictatorship and protecting western liberal values constantly for the last 100 years with their citizens lives. Remember, it isn't bragging if it is true.

Last edited by bhk; 06-17-08 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-17-08, 11:34 AM
Banned

Wow the republican hate of France never gets old.
Old 06-17-08, 11:37 AM
Banned

BHK is a *** who loves sucking cock.
Old 06-17-08, 11:38 AM
Banned

BHK is a *** who loves sucking cock and swallowing sperm.
Old 06-17-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
No you didn't understand, your country would only be a minor laughingstock if it wasn't so puffed up with misplaced self-importance.
A case that occured within Canada being judged according to Canadian values and principles. How self-important is that! How dare those pesky Canadians treat bhk's idol Mark Steyn that way!

The US has been making the world safe from dictatorship and protecting western liberal values constantly for the last 100 years with their citizens lives. Remember, it isn't bragging if it is true.
Well that's all fine and dandy but you're the one not getting the point by equating "Western liberal values" with "American values". Although they have much in common, they are not synonyms. You're pissed that they are not, and that variations which you do not agree with exist. Therein lies the arrogance.

Shit, I'm surprised you don't get a heart attack everytime you have to type "Western liberal values".

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-17-08 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 01:35 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well that's all fine and dandy but you're the one not getting the point by equating "Western liberal values" with "American values". Although they have much in common, they are not synonyms. You're pissed that they are not, and that variations which you do not agree with exist.
The trials going on in Canada actually prove to anyone with an open mind that American values are now better than the "Western liberal values" as interpreted by Canadians and much of western Europe.
A case that occured within Canada being judged according to Canadian values and principles. How self-important is that! How dare they treat bhk's idol Matrk Steyn that way!
Mark Steyn, The Great, can take care of himself. What we're mocking are those Canadian values and principles that allow people to be brought up on hate crime charges for calling Muslims something that they call themselves all over the world. That and the fact that Canada would grab its ankles in the name of political correctnes.

Last edited by bhk; 06-17-08 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
The US has been making the world safe from dictatorship and protecting western liberal values constantly for the last 100 years with their citizens lives.

You seem to be missing a word in there. That word is 'selectively.'
Old 06-17-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bhk
The trials going on in Canada actually prove to anyone with an open mind that American values are now better than the "Western liberal values".

Mark Steyn, The Great, can take care of himself. What we're mocking is Canada's values and principles.
Open mind? Mark Stein The Great? I really don't need to add anything so mock away!
Old 06-17-08, 01:39 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
You seem to be missing a word in there. That word is 'selectively.'
Selectively or otherwise. If not for the US military, the world would be a much worse off place.
Old 06-17-08, 01:40 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Open mind? Mark Stein The Great? I really don't need to add anything so mock away!
Canadians are doing such a great job of mocking themselves, we just need to point it out.
Old 06-17-08, 01:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bhk
If not for the US military, the world would be a much worse off place.
If this were 1991 I'd agree.
Old 06-17-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I must admit bhk is very good at "pointing out". Which is pretty much the only thing he does in these threads.
Old 06-17-08, 01:44 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Well I must admit bhk is very good at "pointing out". Which is pretty much the only thing he does in these threads.
Thanks.

I report, you decide.
Old 06-17-08, 01:45 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
Please. In the last 6 years, the might of the US military has freed millions of people from people like the Taliban and Saddam.
Old 06-17-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

I was going to say 1945.
Old 06-17-08, 01:47 PM

I was going to say 1945.
I thought the Cold War was pretty successful, all in all.
Old 06-17-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I thought the Cold War was pretty successful, all in all.

Actually, I'll amend my statement. Our military buildup in the 1980s, when we didn't actually use the military in battle, was of great benefit to the world.
Old 06-17-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I'll amend my statement. Our military buildup in the 1980s, when we didn't actually use the military in battle, was of great benefit to the world.

Too bad everyone now believes it's solely the US's responsibility to police the world from "bad guys".
Old 06-17-08, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
Too bad everyone now believes it's solely the US's responsibility to police the world from "bad guys".
<a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_Force">Too</a> <a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Security_Assistance_Force">bad</a> <a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coalition_combat_operations_in_Afghanistan_in_2006">you're</a> <a href = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sharp_Guard">completely wrong.</a>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.