Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Nigeria rebels attack Shell oil pipelines

Old 04-21-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nigeria rebels attack Shell oil pipelines

This sucks

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21129451.htm

Where is classicman to tell us that oil prices are only set by the oil companies and not other world events?

In lesser news, this sucks too

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstS...storyid=374675

I wonder who fired the rocket?

and edited to add Russian oil production is falling

http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/04/....ap/index.html

not a real loss, just state run oil program efficiency losses, but affects over all price

Last edited by 4KRG; 04-21-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nigeria makes the news once it ostensibly starts to affect our pocketbook.
Old 04-21-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first link is taking its sweet time to load. When exactly did this attack happen? Oil price didn't seem to jump anywhere, just a steady climb, now at $117.

edit: OK, happened on Monday. Maybe we'll see the jump tomorrow.
Old 04-22-08, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Nigerian rebels attack pipelines all the time. The government is funded by petroleum sales. And corruption.
Old 04-22-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, it's now $119. How exciting.
Old 04-22-08, 12:46 PM

I think I may have inadvertently financed this operation after excitedly responding to an email from that country.
Old 04-22-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Originally Posted by Groucho
I think I may have inadvertently financed this operation after excitedly responding to an email from that country.
Wait a second. He said he needed my help.
Old 04-22-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Nigerian rebels attack pipelines all the time. The government is funded by petroleum sales. And corruption.
Sounds like a candidate for regime change.
Old 04-22-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by 4KRG
This sucks

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L21129451.htm

Where is classicman to tell us that oil prices are only set by the oil companies and not other world events?

In lesser news, this sucks too

http://home.kyodo.co.jp/modules/fstS...storyid=374675

I wonder who fired the rocket?

and edited to add Russian oil production is falling

http://www.cnn.com/2008/BUSINESS/04/....ap/index.html

not a real loss, just state run oil program efficiency losses, but affects over all price
And far be it from me to inject a logical solution, such as producing more oil on another production line in a completely different country to offset the damage.

Oh no. We can't do that.
Old 04-23-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
And far be it from me to inject a logical solution, such as producing more oil on another production line in a completely different country to offset the damage.

Oh no. We can't do that.
Like drill off the coast of FL? That would be great, but the EPA has a strangle hold on it

Same with the oil shale we have. It is ashame that our own policies are our biggest enemy...
Old 04-23-08, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk God

I never said that oil prices weren't affected by world events.

I have said that there is no such thing as a world price for oil.

I wonder if the author of this thread realizes that?

Again I ask folks to attempt to obtain a copy of T. Boone Pickens' remarks he made to the Georgetown University School of Business. It was aired on CSPAN last week.

Hint: Drilling (for oil) isn't going to solve the problem. It would help (some) for the short-term.
Old 04-23-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I guess I will find the post where you state that oil companies set the price for oil, I know it is here

I realize that not everyone pays the same price for oil, what I don't know is the exact deal for every entity that buys oil. Again I would imagine that is pretty privileged and sensitive information that you don't have either.

Drilling and producing more oil is only one step, you also have to be able to refine more into gasoline and eliminate the ethanol nonsense, there are certainly several components. We also now add the decreasing value of the US dollar into the mix.
Old 04-23-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk God

21% of our power generating plants are 'fueled' by natural gas.

We have to take natural gas out of the power generating equation totally; and, replace that 21% with increased nuclear and coal increased percentages.

We use that 21% of natural gas for transportation. We already know how to do it. It won't take a great amount of time to do that.

Pickens argues that measure would allow us to reduce our importation of oil by (probably) 38%.

He also favors a broad approach to the problem - including wind and solar.
Old 04-23-08, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2

We have to take natural gas out of the power generating equation totally; and, replace that 21% with increased nuclear and coal increased percentages.
That may not be entirely feasible. Most of the natural gas used for power generation is used for "peakers," individual generators of about 100 MW that can be started up and shut down quickly to handle peaks in the load. If we are so tight on power that any are run "all" the time, then new baseload plants are required, as peaker operating costs are high.

Coal and nuclear are baseload plants. They can only run effectively 24/7 and take days to bring online/offline. I certainly agree with more nuclear plants to replace baseload plants running on coal, fuel oil, or if there any, natural gas.
Old 04-23-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I choose to believe Mr. Pickens.

Another thing:

I was born in the hydrocarbon age.

I'll die in the hydrocarbon age.

My children were born in the hydrocarbon age.

They'll die in the hydrocarbon age.

Their children were born...........................

Do you believe that's true?
Old 04-23-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said in the other thread, can we get the NE to stop using oil as a source of heat for the house?
Old 04-23-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

And as I said before, you can if you're willing to spend billions and billons of dollars on natural gas pipelines. And, assuming you can get the right-of-ways and permits to do so.
Old 04-23-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

tell 'em to move
Old 04-23-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

For selfish reasons, I hope they don't.

If they did, and I was still around, I would be paying more for natural gas.
Old 04-23-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And as I said before, you can if you're willing to spend billions and billons of dollars on natural gas pipelines. And, assuming you can get the right-of-ways and permits to do so.
Don't forget about bats too...
Bats delay natural gas pipeline
Published: March 24, 2008 at 8:33 PM

INDIANAPOLIS, March 24 (UPI) -- Construction on a $4.9 billion natural gas pipeline stretching from Colorado to Ohio is being delayed by the tiny Indiana bat.

For construction to move forward on the Rockies Express Pipeline, about two dozen surveys of the thumb-sized bat's habitat must be completed, The Indianapolis Star reported Monday.

The Indiana bat population has declined nearly 60 percent since it was listed as endangered in 1967, the newspaper reported.

"If it's a highway or a pipeline, it doesn't matter," said Rob Mies, director of Organization for Bat Conservation in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. "When their habitat is taken away, your chances of those bats finding a new place are slim."

The Indiana bat is just one of 149 environmental issues the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission has placed on the pipeline before final approval.

Officials for the pipeline say the project will tap into supply-rich areas in Colorado and Wyoming.

"It's important that as we try to rely more on clean sources of energy, this natural gas pipeline will transport natural gas from where it's plentiful throughout the country, including Indiana," said Allen Fore, a spokesman for Rockies Express Pipeline.
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_New...pipeline/3942/
Old 04-23-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A decision that was forced for environmental reasons and isn't smart in the long run.

This I agree with, but natural gas peak power gap generators are still needed.

We use that 21% of natural gas for transportation. We already know how to do it. It won't take a great amount of time to do that.
You lose me here, why? I don't want to use natural gas for transport

Pickens argues that measure would allow us to reduce our importation of oil by (probably) 38%.
He pickens that number right out his ass, I don't buy it

He also favors a broad approach to the problem - including wind and solar.
wind and solar are not solutions, they can not produce power with the same uptime like coal and nuclear. They are many times when the wind doesn't blow and the sun does not shine. Should we tell the folks that rely on power from wind and solar that they just can not have power when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining?

No, we can't, so that brings us back to step one of your post about using natural gas generation to fill gaps in wind and solar generation, which effectively makes wind and solar cute toys and not serious solutions in the US.
Old 04-23-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I choose to believe Mr. Pickens.

Another thing:

I was born in the hydrocarbon age.

I'll die in the hydrocarbon age.

My children were born in the hydrocarbon age.

They'll die in the hydrocarbon age.

Their children were born...........................

Do you believe that's true?
all but the bolded part
Old 04-23-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by 4KRG
A decision that was forced for environmental reasons and isn't smart in the long run.

This I agree with, but natural gas peak power gap generators are still needed.

You lose me here, why? I don't want to use natural gas for transport

He pickens that number right out his ass, I don't buy it

wind and solar are not solutions, they can not produce power with the same uptime like coal and nuclear. They are many times when the wind doesn't blow and the sun does not shine. Should we tell the folks that rely on power from wind and solar that they just can not have power when the wind isn't blowing and the sun isn't shining?

No, we can't, so that brings us back to step one of your post about using natural gas generation to fill gaps in wind and solar generation, which effectively makes wind and solar cute toys and not serious solutions in the US.
You will agree (I hope) that T. Boone Pickens knows a little more about energy than do, wouldn't you?
Old 04-23-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will agree (I hope) that T. Boone Pickens knows a little more about energy than do, wouldn't you?
I don't recall the thread being about T. Boone Pickens knowledge of energy compared to mine

If wind and solar were the correct answer, then it would have happened already. The technology is here now, we are not waiting on it to be developed. If something that is here now is the answer, we would be using and it would work, we aren't cause it doesn't

Sometimes you do not have to be an expert to see the obvious.

Just like Ethanol, what works in other countries does not necessarily work in the US.

I have a customer that is in the energy business. The next time I have to drop by his office to work on his systems, I will ask him specifically what is wrong with your beloved Mr Pickens and his ideas. I am sure I will get an ear full
Old 04-24-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not sure where to put this: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080424/...ongress_spr_dc

Dems what Bush to stop putting oil in the startegic reserve. Where do they get the 5 cents to 24 cents per gallon at the pump number?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.