Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Feds to collect DNA in every arrest

Old 04-16-08, 05:31 PM
  #1  
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Feds to collect DNA in every arrest

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...a_N.htm?csp=34

Posted 40m ago

WASHINGTON (AP) The government plans to begin collecting DNA samples from anyone arrested by a federal law enforcement agency a move intended to prevent violent crime but which also is raising concerns about the privacy of innocent people.

Using authority granted by Congress, the government also plans to collect DNA samples from foreigners who are detained, whether they have been charged or not. The DNA would be collected through a cheek swab, Justice Department spokesman Erik Ablin said Wednesday. That would be a departure from current practice, which limits DNA collection to convicted felons.

Expanding the DNA database, known as CODIS, raises civil liberties questions about the potential for misuse of such personal information, such as family ties and genetic conditions.

Ablin said the DNA collection would be subject to the same privacy laws applied to current DNA sampling. That means none of it would be used for identifying genetic traits, diseases or disorders.

Congress gave the Justice Department the authority to expand DNA collection in two different laws passed in 2005 and 2006.

There are dozens of federal law enforcement agencies, ranging from the FBI to the Library of Congress Police. The federal government estimates it makes about 140,000 arrests each year.

Those who support the expanded collection believe that DNA sampling could get violent criminals off the streets and prevent them from committing more crimes.

A Chicago study in 2005 found that 53 murders and rapes could have been prevented if a DNA sample had been collected upon arrest.

"Many innocent lives could have been saved had the government began this kind of DNA sampling in the 1990s when the technology to do so first became available," Sen. Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., said. Kyl sponsored the 2005 law that gave the Justice Department this authority.

A dozen states have passed similar laws.

But the new regulation would mean that the federal government could store DNA samples of people who are not guilty of any crime, said Jesselyn McCurdy, legislative counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union.

"Now innocent people's DNA will be put into this huge CODIS database, and it will be very difficult for them to get it out if they are not charged or convicted of a crime," McCurdy said.

If a person is arrested but not convicted, he or she can ask the Justice Department to destroy the sample.

The Homeland Security Department the federal agency charged with policing immigration supports the new rule.

"DNA is a proven law-enforcement tool," DHS spokesman Russ Knocke said.

The rule would not allow for DNA samples to be collected from immigrants who are legally in the United States or those being processed for admission, unless the person was arrested.

The proposed rule is being published in the Federal Register. That will be followed by a 30-day comment period.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 05:40 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
Well, as long as they are firm yet gentle. And I'd prefer if a female investigator handled it.
The Bus is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 05:46 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,998
There are dozens of federal law enforcement agencies, ranging from the FBI to the Library of Congress Police.
You never know when someone who kept a book for a really long time is going to just snap.
Drexl is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 05:48 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,851
<img src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/United_States_Library_of_Congress_Police.jpg">



"Library of Congress Police is a federal law enforcement agency of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. headed by the Office of the Librarian.

"It provides Entry and Exit Procedures, Reader Registration, Personal Belongings Restrictions, Closed Stack System administration, Safeguarding Your Personal Property management and Library Premises security such as Video Surveillance."

The Bus is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 05:54 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Mayberry, NC. Really, it is
Posts: 1,787
Move along, citizen. Nothing to see here.
NC-36 is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 06:00 PM
  #6  
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Originally Posted by NC-36
Move along, citizen. Nothing to see here.
I'll be the judge of that!

Keep chatting folks!

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 04-16-08, 10:26 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 20,721
"Now innocent people's DNA will be put into this huge CODIS database, and it will be very difficult for them to get it out if they are not charged or convicted of a crime," McCurdy said.

If a person is arrested but not convicted, he or she can ask the Justice Department to destroy the sample.
Why should they have to ask in the first place?

Nothing new. Privacy is a big issue, but I'm miore concerned about the cost of this little project.
Ranger is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 07:36 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
next thing you know they will be collecting fingerprints of people who are arrested
al_bundy is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 10:48 AM
  #9  
Mod Emeritus
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Gone to the islands - 'til we meet again.
Posts: 19,053
Originally Posted by al_bundy
next thing you know they will be collecting fingerprints of people who are arrested
Last time I checked, a fingerprint didn't contain any private/personal information and could pretty much only be used for identification. So, IMO, the comparison is pretty weak.
Dead is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:12 AM
  #10  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,526
Originally Posted by Dead
Last time I checked, a fingerprint didn't contain any private/personal information and could pretty much only be used for identification. So, IMO, the comparison is pretty weak.
Yeah, you go for a job and they don't care that you got arrested for smoking pot 20 years ago, but then they find out you have a marker for cancer in your DNA and they don't hire you because of the health care cost. This sounds awesome.
VinVega is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:25 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,851
I figured they were already doing this.

Well, if you've got nothing to hide.....
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:28 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
If you are arrested by the FEDS, the chances of you being innocent is about 1 in 1000000. Those guys don't fuck around with malicious prosecutions.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:28 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,880
Originally Posted by The Bus
<img src="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/United_States_Library_of_Congress_Police.jpg">



"Library of Congress Police is a federal law enforcement agency of the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C. headed by the Office of the Librarian.

"It provides Entry and Exit Procedures, Reader Registration, Personal Belongings Restrictions, Closed Stack System administration, Safeguarding Your Personal Property management and Library Premises security such as Video Surveillance."

Gives new meaning to, "Book 'em Danno!"
wishbone is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:42 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by VinVega
Yeah, you go for a job and they don't care that you got arrested for smoking pot 20 years ago, but then they find out you have a marker for cancer in your DNA and they don't hire you because of the health care cost. This sounds awesome.
last i heard over 50% of americans were on a prescription drug or some kind of medical device for something. so corporations will be really limited in their choice of candidates
al_bundy is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 11:51 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,851
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are arrested by the FEDS, the chances of you being innocent is about 1 in 1000000. Those guys don't fuck around with malicious prosecutions.

So the Feds are incapable (or virtually incapable) of making mistakes? What's your basis for this?

Maybe if you are prosecuted by the FEDS, your theory might be valid. Not arrest.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by Red Dog
So the Feds are incapable (or virtually incapable) of making mistakes? What's your basis for this?

Maybe if you are prosecuted by the FEDS, your theory might be valid. Not arrest.
If you are arrested as a result of a federal investigation, they aren't arresting you on suspicion. They have a mountain of evidence against you.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:11 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,851
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are arrested as a result of a federal investigation, they aren't arresting you on suspicion. They have a mountain of evidence against you.

Well, I can see you wouldn't make it far on voir dire.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:23 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,759
Originally Posted by Red Dog
Well, I can see you wouldn't make it far on voir dire.
There are plenty of other reasons for that.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 12:43 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 6,373
If people who are later found to be innocent can go through a lengthy process to have their DNA removed from the database, why not just collect it after conviction and save everyone the trouble? When such a simple option exists, it definitely gives the appearance that the government just wants a database with as many people's DNA as possible, regardless of their guilt or innocence.
maxfisher is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:00 PM
  #20  
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Originally Posted by maxfisher
If people who are later found to be innocent can go through a lengthy process to have their DNA removed from the database, why not just collect it after conviction and save everyone the trouble? When such a simple option exists, it definitely gives the appearance that the government just wants a database with as many people's DNA as possible, regardless of their guilt or innocence.
The government is probably hoping to link the person arrested to other crimes thru their DNA database?

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:31 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Originally Posted by Dead
Last time I checked, a fingerprint didn't contain any private/personal information and could pretty much only be used for identification. So, IMO, the comparison is pretty weak.


Who are you?
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:42 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
- Similarly though just posting an article and link, particularly as the first post in a thread, w/o any additional commentary to continue the dialog is discouraged. If it's good enough to post it's worth commenting on as well.
Venusian is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:51 PM
  #23  
Admin-Thanos
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,526
Good point Venusian. I somehow missed that. You should at least comment if you want to start a discussion Chris. It's part of the etiquette here.
VinVega is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:54 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
in GA, they take our fingerprints if we get a driver's license
Venusian is offline  
Old 04-17-08, 01:57 PM
  #25  
Guest
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Glendale, next to L.A.
Posts: 18,486
Ooops, sorry, I didn't realize that.

I guess I'm shell shocked from the 'Other' thread!

Chris
mrpayroll is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.