Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

I'm More Racist Than I Ever Knew!!!!!!

Old 03-13-08, 06:58 AM
Banned

I'm More Racist Than I Ever Knew!!!!!!

(I was going to title this "AP Editor Declares Most Americans Racist" but that sounded kinda dull).

Just read a column this morning from Associated Press Chief Political Editor Ron Fourtnier. In it, he describes how racism continues to flourish in America, even among those who would never utter racial epithets or intentionally hurt anyone (paraphrasing as closely as I can remember).

To prove his point, he mentions 4 or 5 points to prove that these people are actually racists. He begins by mentioning such obvious choices as persons selling their homes if a black family (evidently other minorities are welcomed with open arms, in his opinion) moves into the neighborhood. However, he then mentions such horrible things as people who will "enroll their children in private schools rather than submit to public school busing". He then proceeds to accuse people of racism if they will not open their door to a black man at night.

So....in his esteemed opinion, if I were to refuse to allow my child to ride a bus for an extra 90 minutes each day in order to achieve some mythical "racial balance" rather than walk to the neighborhood school two blocks away (which may have been the reason I moved to that neighborhood in the first place), I'm a racist?

And if I don't tend to open my door to strangers of any color late at night, I'm a racist?

Maybe Fourtnier would willingly sacrifice his children for social engineering and would expose himself & his family to risks by opening the door to strangers at night...but I wouldn't. In my mind, that doesn't make me a racist...that makes him an idiot who doesn't care about his own family.

Fourtnier and other well-intentioned but misguided individuals should give more thought to finding actual examples of racism (he didn't qualify his examples, for instance, by saying that the people he described wouldn't open their door to assist a wounded black man or to a black person they knew...or that the persons wouldn't send their children to an integrated school) rather than his absurd examples. Why not just suggest that, if my child didn't hand over his bicycle to a black child who demands it, my child is acting in a racist way? Or that my wife should withdraw her application for a job if she happens to notice a black applicant present at the interview (since failing to do so would mean "opposing affirmative action").

"Logic" such as that used in the AP column do much more to harm racial progress than to help. All it does is breed resentment rather than eliciting feelings of guilty & empathy (which seems to be the writer's goal).

I'd like to hear Fourtnier address a black crowd and call them racists if they refuse to answer the door to a white stranger at night.

How do idiots such as he rise to the highest posts in their profession????
Old 03-13-08, 07:00 AM

Don't suppose you can provide a link to/copy of the article can you? It might help foster discussion if people can read it for themselves
Old 03-13-08, 07:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by nemein
Don't suppose you can provide a link to/copy of the article can you? It might help foster discussion if people can read it for themselves
Sorry, nemein...in addition to being more racist than I ever knew, I'm also just as computer-illiterate as I have always known, since I matriculated in the era before computers & have never learned to cut 'n' paste, etc. The article was in a link attached to the current stories about Ferraro's resignation from Clinton's finance committee over the flap caused by her recent Obama comments.

Hopefully, someone else can find the story & provide the link for anyone interested. Columns like this one chap my pale, lily-white cheeks (and I think they should offend my dusty-cheeked friends, too, by ignoring the real problems to attack straw men).
Old 03-13-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i agree with nemein. an article would make more sense than your rant

so moving out of a neighborhood because a black family moves in is a good thing?
Old 03-13-08, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Sorry, nemein...in addition to being more racist than I ever knew, I'm also just as computer-illiterate as I have always known, since I matriculated in the era before computers & have never learned to cut 'n' paste, etc. The article was in a link attached to the current stories about Ferraro's resignation from Clinton's finance committee over the flap caused by her recent Obama comments.

Hopefully, someone else can find the story & provide the link for anyone interested. Columns like this one chap my pale, lily-white cheeks (and I think they should offend my dusty-cheeked friends, too, by ignoring the real problems to attack straw men).

If you're talking about a web site the easiest thing (and most browsers support it... not sure about Macs though since it involves a right click ) is to right click on the link, select "copy link location" (or something like that... this will depend upon the browser you're using) and then come here, hit ctrl-v in the quick post window and hit submit.
Old 03-13-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk God

There's a simple way of knowing whether you are a racist or not. If you oppose Barack Obama, you are a racist.
Old 03-13-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2
There's a simple way of knowing whether you are a racist or not. If you oppose Barack Obama, you are a racist.

Never let it be said that c-man doesn't have a sense of humor.
Old 03-13-08, 08:38 AM

Here you go
ON DEADLINE: Racism and Sexism Roil Race
By RON FOURNIER

Associated Press Writer

Thank you, Geraldine Ferraro.

Not for calling Barack Obama "very lucky" to be a black man; that was an insensitive and impolitic thing to say. But thank you, Geraldine Ferraro, for reminding people in a clumsy way that racism and sexism _ both original sins of the republic _ still exist in the United States and will mar an otherwise extraordinary presidential election if we let it.

Let's start with race. A quarter of white voters in Mississippi's Democratic primary said race played an important role in their decisions Tuesday, and they voted overwhelmingly for Hillary Rodham Clinton. Thirty-seven percent of blacks said race was important to their votes and nearly all voted for her rival from Illinois.

In Ohio, 18 percent of white voters said race was an important to their vote last week, and those who did voted 76 percent for Clinton.

Many of these race-sensitive white voters are the children and grandchildren of so-called Reagan Democrats, working-class men and women who abandoned the party of their roots for the GOP when school desegregation, affirmative action and welfare programs seemed in their eyes to tilt the playing field toward minorities.

These are not cartoonish bigots, but people who live their lives and view their politics through a racially tinged prism. They wouldn't utter racial epithets or intentionally hurt anyone, but they would sell their homes when a black family moves on the block; enroll their kids in private schools rather than submit to public school busing; refuse to answer the door when a black man knocks at night; and blame affirmative action when a minority gets promoted over them.

"This country won't be over race for four more generations," said Democratic strategist Dane Strother, a white man who has seen the race card played in countless campaigns, particularly in the South. "Just below the surface in the country, everything is driven by race. Not just black and white, but Latinos as well."

When Strother worked in Louisiana, he knew a pollster who had a term for whites who couldn't bring themselves to vote for a black candidate despite feeling guilty about their reluctance: "Merely prejudiced," Strother said. "There are merely prejudiced voters all over this country, not just in the South."

This is where Ferraro's remarks come in.

"If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position," said the first woman to serve on a major party's presidential ticket. "And if he was a woman (of any color) he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is."

Obama, less than four years removed from the Illinois state Legislature, is a bright and skilled politician who has tapped the nation's hunger for change. The color of his skin is an added appeal to some voters _ those yearning to see race erased as a barrier to the nation's highest offices. But it's obviously a drawback to others.

Whether the positives outweigh the negatives, whether Ferraro is right or wrong, those questions are fair to debate. But this much is, sadly, certain: Obama and Clinton are trying to exploit the issue.

They may be speaking in code, but the polarized Democratic electorate gets the message.

_ Obama credited Ferraro with being a trailblazer even as he accused her of participating in "slice and dice" politics that Americans are turning against. "They are divisive," he said of the remarks. "I think anybody who understands the history of this country knows they are patently absurd." Translation: The Clinton camp is playing the race card again, and black voters should beware.

_ Clinton said she disagreed with Ferraro, a supporter and fundraiser, but stopped short of condemning the remarks. A defiant Ferraro fired back at Obama: "I have to tell you that what I find is offensive is that every time somebody says something about the campaign, you're accused of being racist." Do you think they're appealing to white, working-class voters who believe that they're called racists at the drop of a hat?

Ferraro, who stepped down Wednesday from her honorary post in Clinton's campaign, also faulted "a very sexist media" in the historic race of "firsts." Her sentiment resonates with female voters who feel that Clinton has been held to a higher standard, pummeled by a male-dominated media and political elite.

It's true, for example, that pundits and late-night comics who freely poke fun at Clinton's gender would never think of cracking a black joke.

Most Democratic strategists think a backlash from female voters saved Clinton's campaign in New Hampshire, Ohio and Texas.

"It's regrettable that any of our supporters _ on both sides, because we both have this experience _ say things that kind of veer off into the personal," Clinton said. "We ought to keep this on the issues."

She meant issues like health care, energy and Obama's experience. But race and gender will be just as big _ if not bigger _ issues this year, especially if the candidates shamelessly exploit them
Old 03-13-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only in the sense that because I'd vote for Obama before I voted for Hillary Clinton, that makes me a sexist.
Old 03-13-08, 09:16 AM
Admin-Thanos

MadMark bringing the link. Good job.
Old 03-13-08, 10:20 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

And that in a nutshell is why this knock down, drag out fight between the dem candidates is so wonderful to see.
The Peter priciple stopped being used in the journalism field a long, long time ago. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was promoted and even more highly thought of in his field after this.
Old 03-13-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk God

This will probably make me a racist, but here goes. Racism (and sexism) is very empowering to some people who are the "object" of it. When racism and sexism are declining, they are losing some of what empowers them, so they go to further and further extremes to redefine what it is so that it encompasses more people, which in turn, helps to empower them more.

I had a guy in my church that was semi-obsessed with Satan. Always talked about the harm Satan was doing, how we must vigilantly oppose him, how he works in society, etc. I told him, "If you spend most of your time looking for Satan, you should not be surprised when you find him."

Same goes for people obsessed with racism and sexism.
Old 03-13-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, after reading the article... I gotta say that creekdipper is way, way out of line. Pulling out one paragraph and trying to make that seem as if its the entire point of the article... I mean, there's overreacting, and then there's flying off the handle, and then there's missing the point entirely.

Two words for you, creekdipper: straw man.
Old 03-13-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What if I oppose him because I want to vote for Green Party candidate Cynthia McKinney?

McKinney 08 - The True Choice of the Lunatic Fringe
Old 03-13-08, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I have to tell you that what I find is offensive is that every time somebody says something about the campaign, you're accused of being racist."

boo fucking whoo that is the same shit they are trying to pull in Hillary's camp by screaming sexism every chance that they get. As a person who is neither a republican or democrat, I love this divide in the left it is showing us just how racist and sexist the far left really is.
Old 03-13-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Only in the sense that because I'd vote for Obama before I voted for Hillary Clinton, that makes me a sexist.
No, it makes you confused as hell.
Old 03-13-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Let's just elect a blind black Jewish lesbian in a wheelchair to the presidency and be done with it.
Old 03-13-08, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrBob
"I have to tell you that what I find is offensive is that every time somebody says something about the campaign, you're accused of being racist."

boo fucking whoo that is the same shit they are trying to pull in Hillary's camp by screaming sexism every chance that they get. As a person who is neither a republican or democrat, I love this divide in the left it is showing us just how racist and sexist the far left really is.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 03-13-08, 08:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NCMojo
You know, after reading the article... I gotta say that creekdipper is way, way out of line. Pulling out one paragraph and trying to make that seem as if its the entire point of the article... I mean, there's overreacting, and then there's flying off the handle, and then there's missing the point entirely.

Two words for you, creekdipper: straw man.
So you think that his examples of racism are good ones, eh?

Thanks for providing the link to define "straw man" for anyone not familiar with the term. Since I was paraphrasing him so closely that the sentiments attributed to him were almost direct quotes, I cannot see that any of his remarks were "misrepresented" or "overstated". HE chose the words used to describe racists, not me.

I wasn't necessarily taking issue with the point of his article (which is that racism & sexism still affect political votes...at least, I THINK that was the point of his article).

I was merely pointing out that some of his examples are so far "out of line" (to use your words) that they refute his point rather than support it. If these are the best examples of "racism" that he can come up with, we've made a lot more progress than I think & we're in much better shape than he thinks.

Do you agree with his points about "submitting" to forced busing & refusing to answer the door at night being examples of racism? If not, then YOU are way, way out of line.

Or do you think that he doesn't need to buttress his arguments with good examples since you agree with his premise and since he's a "respected" journalist and thus doesn't have to offer reasonable examples?

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-13-08 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it makes you feel any better, I already knew you were fairly racist.
Old 03-13-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Old 03-14-08, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Why, thank you, Thor...I was wondering what took so long for someone to post that "original" bit of cleverness. I had about given up hope.

You're a good, good boy.

At least you tickled Mojo's lower-bar humor fancy, so at least that's an accomplishment.

Sort of.

Actually, if you go back and read the article, you'll find that everyone is at least "fairly racist" judging by the author's standards.

However, you forgot to point out how "homophobic" I am, so I have to deduct points.

Last edited by creekdipper; 03-14-08 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-14-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(I was going to title this "AP Editor Declares Most Americans Racist" but that sounded kinda dull).

Just read a column this morning from Associated Press Chief Political Editor Ron Fourtnier. In it, he describes how racism continues to flourish in America, even among those who would never utter racial epithets or intentionally hurt anyone (paraphrasing as closely as I can remember).

To prove his point,

I can smell your white liberal guilt from a mile away. Whether you know it or not this article has affected you. It has made you feel guilty and you're angry because you feel like it is an unfair indictment of your personal behavior. I agree.
Old 03-14-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, if you go back and read the article, you'll find that everyone is at least "fairly racist" judging by the author's standards.
Yes, I was intending it by the author's standards, just as you were with the thread title. No offense intended.
Old 03-14-08, 08:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superboy
I can smell your white liberal guilt from a mile away. Whether you know it or not this article has affected you. It has made you feel guilty and you're angry because you feel like it is an unfair indictment of your personal behavior. I agree.
Oh, NOOOOOO.......now I find out that I'm more (gasp) liberal than I knew I was!!!

Which is far worse.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.