Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sally Kern - ignorant bigot

Old 03-12-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sally Kern - ignorant bigot

Oklahoma rep Sally Kern being secretly recorded and utters some pretty amazing Fundamentalist stuff against gays.

Old 03-12-08, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, wow, what are you doing here?

Had no idea who she is. Had to look her up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sally_Kern#Controversies

Just echoing same nonsense her pastor tells her, I guess. It is Oklahoma.
Old 03-12-08, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From her Wiki entry:

In March 2008, Kern made national headlines when she stated:

I honestly think [homosexuality is] the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam - which I think is a big threat, OK? Cause what's happening now is they are going after, in schools, two-year olds...And this stuff is deadly, and itís spreading, and it will destroy our young people, it will destroy this nation.[4]

After receiving attention for the remarks, Kern said "I said nothing that was not true" and refused to apologize.[5][6][7][8] A few days later, Kern received a standing ovation from fellow Republican legislators in a private meeting.[9]

I was shocked to read that she was a Republican. Shocked.
Old 03-12-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

She's probably a crew-cut, male-looking, cowgirl a-liking female (someone please show a pic) and will be in the news because of propositioning some young girl in the ladies room. People like these are always closet cases.

Of course, Sally will deny she was propositioning the girl. Even though the girl made a positive ID on her hands swiping back and forth underneath a stall and her shoeprint is embedded on the top of the girl's own shoe.

EDIT: Name changed for Tracer Bullet AND specificity for the "female" at hand, so as not to offend the unique subcategory, but to elaborate on what kind of freak we're dealing with.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-13-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you really think it's appropriate to call someone a "dyke"?
Old 03-13-08, 07:01 AM
Banned

Old 03-13-08, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with thinking they have uncovered some "hidden" agenda by people with these opinions, is that it is not all that hidden. This is how they a lot of people actually think. I wonder who in this thread might applaud this woman. Perhaps someone enjoying a delicious snack?
Old 03-13-08, 07:50 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Do you really think it's appropriate to call someone a "dyke"?
No. DVDPolizei, we don't need the name calling here, especially the derogatory kind.

As far as the legislator...Charming, just charming.

I'm amazed by the fear and ignorance of some folks against the Gay community. Their agenda isn't really a secret. They just wanted to be treated like hetero people.

I still don't get the whole recruiting falsehood. They think Gays go out door to door like Jehovah's Witnesses trying to "turn heteros to the dark side."

Last edited by VinVega; 03-13-08 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracer Bullet, Adamblast, and I will be working on our "hidden agendas" this weekend.

Kern is a lunatic.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 03-13-08 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew it!

So there is a gay bookstore down the street from where I work. I found it a little curious. What's the point of a gay bookstore? Are there a lot of "gay" books you can't find in regular bookstores? I'm guessing that is the reason, am I right?
Old 03-13-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Her husband is a Baptist Minister.

She represents a district in OKC.
Old 03-13-08, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Who's Sally Kern? You mean there is someone in Oklahoma who hates gay people? Shocking.
Old 03-13-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian
So there is a gay bookstore down the street from where I work. I found it a little curious. What's the point of a gay bookstore? Are there a lot of "gay" books you can't find in regular bookstores? I'm guessing that is the reason, am I right?
Well, there used to be. Believe it or not, gay-positive materials were rather hard to find in the past.

Not sure how necessary the bookstores are anymore.
Old 03-13-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Venusian
Because most chain bookstores (Borders, etc.) only have a small gay section. The purpose of a gay bookstore is to have a large selection. Same reason there are Christian book stores.
Old 03-13-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by classicman2

Nice to see that she and her husband are such good, loving "Christians". (edited to add that I'm not trying to make a blanket statement about all Christians).

Last edited by LiquidSky; 03-13-08 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Not sure how necessary the bookstores are anymore.
The one in my neighborhood also doubles as a video rental place. One would assume part of the appeal would be to patronize businesses owned by members of the gay community, and also to be able to shop in a non-threatening environment. Plus, it's nice to patronize locally owned, small businesses generally.
Old 03-13-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Because most chain bookstores (Borders, etc.) only have a small gay section. The purpose of a gay bookstore is to have a large selection. Same reason there are Christian book stores.
That's what I was trying to compare it to in my head. I know there is a plethora of "Christian" reading material out there. I didn't know if gay material was the same. I mean come one, there are dozens of versions of the Bible alone. You can't expect B&N to carry every single one The small town I lived in for a while had a Books A Million that had a huge Christian section. Others I've been to don't. I guess you target to your audience.
Old 03-13-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2

And, allegedly, her son has been arrested for cruising mens' restrooms.

Edit: Link (got this off of theagitator.com) http://www.queerty.com/sally-kern-sc...-son-20080312/

Last edited by wildcatlh; 03-13-08 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up not far from Kensington, Maryland and Takoma [Park], Maryland -- two of the towns mentioned in her little rant. I'm probably infected with teh gay!
Old 03-13-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
I grew up not far from Kensington, Maryland and Takoma [Park], Maryland -- two of the towns mentioned in her little rant. I'm probably infected with teh gay!
I hear you can clear that up with $180,000 cash.

das
Old 03-13-08, 10:14 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wikipedia
I honestly think [homosexuality is] the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism
I know that when I go outside everyday I'm more worried about two people having dirty gay anal sex in their bedroom than that guy over there with a dirty bomb strapped to his chest.

Last edited by lotsofdvds; 03-13-08 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
I know that when I go outside everyday I'm more worried about two people having dirty gay anal sex in their bedroom than that guy over there with a dirty bomb strapped to his chest.
Holy shit, the way that was quoted makes it look like I said that.

edit: ahhh... quote fixed.

Last edited by Dave7393; 03-13-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-13-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Lots of crazy districts continue to elect lots of crazy people. I may not agree with them, but I don't find it very surprising. Intersting, though.
Old 03-13-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
And, allegedly, her son has been arrested for cruising mens' restrooms.

Edit: Link (got this off of theagitator.com) http://www.queerty.com/sally-kern-sc...-son-20080312/

Cool - do we get to blame his gay on that old time religion?
Old 03-13-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I am against the gays as much as any good fundamentalist Christian, but to say they are more threatening than the terrorists or Islam is just crazy. I mean name me one Islamic singer with half the stage presence of Freddie Mercury.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.