Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

(Libertarian) New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State(Lowest crime & poverty)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

(Libertarian) New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State(Lowest crime & poverty)

Old 03-07-08, 10:29 AM
Political Exile

New Hampshire is the state that was chosen by the Free State Project Libertarians. Here's a list of 101 reasons why they like the state:

http://www.freestateproject.org/file...Move-to-NH.pdf

Here are a few things from that list.

The state has no income tax, capital gains tax, or sales tax.

The state has open carry of guns without even requiring a permit. And it has a "shall issue" policy for concealed carry.

Members of the state legislature are paid $100 a year.

All voting is done by paper ballot.

For every dollar that the state pays in federal taxes, it gets back only 71 cents in federal spending. So there's no dependency on the federal government.

Here are the results of those Libertarian policies:

http://finance.move.com/homefinance/...&poe=homestore

New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State

Mississippi reclaims last place

For the fourth consecutive year, New Hampshire was named the nation’s Most Livable State by Morgan Quitno Press, which determined its 17th annual award from its just released reference book "State Rankings 2007."

At the other end of the spectrum, statistics returned Mississippi at the bottom of the scale for the ninth time in the past 10 years. Louisiana, which ranked No. 50 last year, is No. 49.

“New Hampshire does an outstanding job in a number of quality of life areas,” said Scott Morgan, president of Morgan Quitno Press. “The state has the lowest crime and poverty rates in the country. In addition, the citizens of New Hampshire are employed, well educated and involved in their communities.”

44 Factors Determine Ranking

Recognizing a state for its high quality of life, Morgan Quitno Press issues its Livable State Award based on 44 factors selected from updated editions of its annual reference book, "State Rankings." The 2007 edition of "State Rankings" compares states in more than 550 categories.

Rounding out the top five spots with New Hampshire are (in descending order) Wyoming, Utah, Minnesota and New Jersey. Bringing up the opposite end of the rankings scale ahead of Mississippi and Louisiana are Arkansas in 48th, Kentucky in 47th and South Carolina in 46th place.

Oregon Makes Big Gains

Oregon made the biggest jump to No. 23, up 10 spots from last year. Utah moved from No. 10 to its third-place showing this year. Missouri was the biggest loser at No. 34, down from No. 27. Wisconsin at No. 20 and No. 31 Washington each fell six spots.

Morgan Quitno considers its award unique because it takes into account a broad range of economic, educational, health-oriented, public safety and environmental statistics. To determine a state's "livability rating," Morgan Quitno averaged each state's rankings for 44 categories. Those categories included both positive and negative factors, such as unemployment rates, job growth, sunny days, teenage birthrates, homeownership, books in public libraries per capita, and highway fatality rates, among other criteria.

Data used are for the most recent year in which comparable numbers are available from most states. All factors were given equal weight. States with no data available for a given category were ranked based only on the remaining factors.

Last edited by grundle; 03-07-08 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-07-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The armpit of America is number 5?
Old 03-07-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. I feel dirty about the idea that Libertarians feel like NH is a haven. Perhaps I won't move back.
Old 03-07-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Shouldn't we let the market decide what is the bets state in which to live? Based on sheer numbers, California wins. Based on population density, New Jersey wins.

New Hampshire is pretty far down on the list, coming in at #41 in raw population and #20 in population density. If it's so great, why aren't more people moving there?
Old 03-07-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Perhaps it is easiest to be a libertarian in places where there is low crime and poverty.
Old 03-07-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Shouldn't we let the market decide what is the bets state in which to live? Based on sheer numbers, California wins. Based on population density, New Jersey wins.

New Hampshire is pretty far down on the list, coming in at #41 in raw population and #20 in population density. If it's so great, why aren't more people moving there?

I think population density would be the best measure
Old 03-07-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't NH 95% white?
Old 03-07-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought of that too. And MS has the biggest black population in the country. Weird, huh?
Old 03-07-08, 12:59 PM
Political Exile

Because it's really, really cold.
Old 03-07-08, 01:01 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Perhaps it is easiest to be a libertarian in places where there is low crime and poverty.
The lack of taxation on income and capital gains means they are more interested in the creation of wealth than in the redistribution of wealth, which explains why poverty is so low. It's better to spend money on jobs than on welfare.
Old 03-07-08, 01:04 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Ranger
Isn't NH 95% white?

98%.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_hampshire
Old 03-07-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by grundle
The lack of taxation on income and capital gains means they are more interested in the creation of wealth than in the redistribution of wealth, which explains why poverty is so low. It's better to spend money on jobs than on welfare.

Retake a stat class.
Old 03-07-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because it's really, really cold.
So is the subject of your other thread, Chicago, yet twice as many people live in Chicago as in New Hampshire. Is this a market failure?
Old 03-07-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where does the tax revenue come from then? I did not see it mentioned, so I assume it was skipped to make the picture look better.

As for poverty being low, I guess I saw enough to realize that that's not true at all.
Old 03-07-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All voting is done by paper ballot.
you sure about that?
Old 03-07-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian
you sure about that?
Yes. (I had to look it up)

656:1-a Paper Ballots. For purposes of facilitating the examination and recounting of votes cast, all elections shall be conducted using paper ballots in accordance with this title
Old 03-07-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then why was there all that talk about irregularities during the primaries? I also found some references to diebold machines
Old 03-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Venusian
I thought of that too. And MS has the biggest black population in the country. Weird, huh?
What's weird is that the thread title isn't (White) New Hampshire Again Nation's Most Livable State(Lowest crime & poverty).
Old 03-07-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nazgul
Where does the tax revenue come from then? I did not see it mentioned, so I assume it was skipped to make the picture look better.

As for poverty being low, I guess I saw enough to realize that that's not true at all.
A good chunk of it is from real estate taxes. I considered moving to Southern NH a few years ago, and you can pay some pretty steep tax bills there.
Old 03-07-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
A good chunk of it is from real estate taxes. I considered moving to Southern NH a few years ago, and you can pay some pretty steep tax bills there.
You are correct, sir!
Old 03-07-08, 02:59 PM

There's no relationship between state tax rates and the level of poverty in that state. Connecticut has very few poor people, yet it has the same state income tax structure as Mississippi.

Here's a comparison of state sales tax rates and % of persons living below the poverty level:

Note the distinct lack of a relationship.
Old 03-07-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
Isn't NH 95% white?
Watch yourself - you're in danger of being accused of being a racist - like I've been accused of being one in the presidential election thread.
Old 03-07-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

wendersfan,

Thank you for post no. 21.

I don't know about others, but I've missed you graphs - or is it a chart?
Old 03-08-08, 09:17 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Retake a stat class.

Please explain why you think my statement was wrong.
Old 03-08-08, 09:17 AM
Political Exile

So is the subject of your other thread, Chicago, yet twice as many people live in Chicago as in New Hampshire. Is this a market failure?

I don't know.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.