Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Obama, Clinton, McCain...The toughest Question of all...What is their favorite movie?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Obama, Clinton, McCain...The toughest Question of all...What is their favorite movie?

Old 03-04-08, 08:57 AM
Banned

SO, I am just about to go and vote for the first time in my life and saw this over at /film and found it interesting and fun...
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/03/04/...al-candidates/
Clinton picks The WIzard of Oz.
Obama goes with The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II and Lawrence of Arabia
McCain goes with (classics) Viva Zapata, Letters from Iwo Jima and Some Like it Hot (new movies) Recent Movies: The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Identity, Mission: Impossible, (”I like those kinds of things, the car chases”) The Departed, (”It’s pretty rough, but I kind of liked it. Nicholson plays too much Nicholson”) and Syriana (”I enjoyed ‘Syriana,’ although a lot of people didn’t”).

Kinda surprised to learn McCain has a pretty good taste in film. Anybody know what Bush is a fan of?
ALmost posted this in the movie forum then decided it would probably break out into talk that is more political so i posted it here.
Old 03-04-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

It might be more telling to see what each candidate thinks is the best movie.

Of those listed - I think I would have to go with Obama; although, the Wizard of Oz ain't bad.
Old 03-04-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is one of those questions like "What book are you currently reading?" where the answer is so carefully preselected and focus group approved so as to say something ennobling about the candidate that it's very doubtful it reflects anyone's genuine tastes. In reality, Hillary might prefer Beaches, Obama's favorite might be Meet the Spartans, and McCain's choice might be Anal Avenger 8: All The Way and you'd never know it.
Old 03-04-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

No "Dude, where's my car?"
Old 03-04-08, 09:18 AM
Banned

If McCain is such a big fan of Some Like it Hot I think its a pretty safe bet hes gonna be choosing Rudy Guiliani as his running mate for VP.
Old 03-04-08, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod
No "Dude, where's my car?"
Old 03-04-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Kinda surprised to learn McCain has a pretty good taste in film. Anybody know what Bush is a fan of?
"Fahrenheit 9/11, WTC, Flight 93 and Passenger 57."
Old 03-04-08, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I figured McCain was more of a Rambo guy.
Old 03-04-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I know Obama likes The Wire (TV show), and I think that's telling! He's got my vote!
Old 03-04-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Kinda surprised to learn McCain has a pretty good taste in film.
Why does that surprise you?
Old 03-04-08, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
Why does that surprise you?
Because he's an evil Republican! Remember, that poster compared Republican voters to bigots and said US troops are bumbling fools who blow themselves up in other threads.
Old 03-04-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, a couple of honest answers. McCain sounds like he actually likes movies, and Obama's answers are decent too. I'm guessing both of them actually know what they're talking about. Hillary's choice, of course, sounds like a safe, middle of the road answer. I bet she likes apple pie and baseball too.
Old 03-04-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I wonder why Hillary is fond of THE WIZARD OF OZ?

Maybe she's fond of excellent filmaking.

Jason,

Why is Hillary's choice sound like a safe middle-of-the-road answer and Obama's doesnt?
Old 03-04-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2
Jason,

Why is Hillary's choice sound like a safe middle-of-the-road answer and Obama's doesnt?
Well, for one, the Wizard of Oz is one of those movies everyone has heard of, everyone has seen, and everyone knows. It's "safe". Yes, the Godfather movies are safe, in that they're mainstream and very popular, but they deal with more realistic and adult themes and I don't think they're quite as universal as Oz. I guess they just seem to be more "serious" choices. Plus, he listed more than one, which gives the impression that he has some attachment to them. Hillary's single choice seems like a laundry list choice.

As for Larry of Arabia, it takes a certain amount of stones for him to endorse anything with a middle-eastern theme, given all the silly attacks on his supposed heritage. Somewhere, some freeper is blogging about how he watches it and roots for the "wrong" side.

Last edited by Jason; 03-04-08 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-04-08, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
Well, for one, the Wizard of Oz is one of those movies everyone has heard of, everyone has seen, and everyone knows.
It's also a movie that many people would cite as their favorite. I believe Hillary was being truthful.
Old 03-07-08, 06:38 AM
Banned

I just wish that at least one of them would have picked "Idiocracy".

That is the type of Cabinet I'd like to see them establish.
Old 03-07-08, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bush's favorite is Troll 2.