Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

More Americans turning to the Web for news

Old 03-03-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More Americans turning to the Web for news

More Americans turning to Web for news

Sat Mar 1, 4:33 AM ET

Nearly 70 percent of Americans believe traditional journalism is out of touch, and nearly half are turning to the Internet to get their news, according to a new survey.

While most people think journalism is important to the quality of life, 64 percent are dissatisfied with the quality of journalism in their communities, a We Media/Zogby Interactive online poll showed.

"That's a really encouraging reflection of people who care A) about journalism and B) understand that it makes a difference to their lives," said Andrew Nachison, of iFOCOS, a Virginia-based think tank which organized a forum in Miami where the findings were presented.

Nearly half of the 1,979 people who responded to the survey said their primary source of news and information is the Internet, up from 40 percent just a year ago. Less than one third use television to get their news, while 11 percent turn to radio and 10 percent to newspapers.

More than half of those who grew up with the Internet, those 18 to 29, get most of their news and information online, compared to 35 percent of people 65 and older. Older adults are the only group that favors a primary news source other than the Internet, with 38 percent selecting television.

Howard Finberg, of the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida, said the public often doesn't understand that the sources they are accessing online such as Google News and Yahoo News pull stories from newspapers, television, wire services and other media sources.

"It's delivered in a non-traditional form, that doesn't necessarily mean there isn't traditional journalism underneath it," he explained.

But Finberg said the study does support the belief among many large media companies that focusing on local issues is important to their journalistic and economic survival.
Source

With the exception of my local news (TV and newspaper) and talk radio (local and national), I get the majority of my news from the net.

I do believe that some of the blog "reporting" gets outta hand at times.
Old 03-03-08, 05:02 AM

Not really surprising and I think in part it's why we are becoming more partisan these days, IMHO. It's far too easy to migrate to those sites that push a single POV or agenda (whether it be conservative/liberal/etc) that you agree w/ and then only get your news from there. I think an interesting follow-up study would be to see how many people try to use multiple sources and seek out sources that specifically disagree w/ their POV.

he public often doesn't understand that the sources they are accessing online such as Google News and Yahoo News pull stories from newspapers, television, wire services and other media sources.
I also find this comment kind of interesting and not terribly surprising... some people just don't get it.
Old 03-03-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been 90% web for a long time now. Not because of a lack of confidence, but because.... it's on the web.
Old 03-03-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I'm at home, I'm not going to sit around watching CNN or something. I've got movies and games on the backlog, and generally some stuff on the DVR when I'm the one with the kids. And homework. Plus chores and around-the-house tasks to do.

I get most of my news from the web and listen to NPR on the way to/from work each day.
Old 03-03-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It seems like most newspapers (like the LA Times) publish most if not all of the articles that they print on their websites. Sure, you need to register, but remind me again why I should shell out money for the print version (which I do)? Sunday ads?
Old 03-03-08, 11:23 AM

I don't think that 70% of Americans are getting their news from blogs. They're still getting it from the mainstream media, it's just the web version of the same story from the newspaper/television/radio.

Even most blogs are reporting the mainstream stories, they just add "spin" to tell their reader what to think about the article. I can imagine this is appealing to a lot of people.
Old 03-03-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Does anyone here actually know a single person who uses the web? I don't.
Old 03-03-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Mostly web, with a dash of NPR for flavor. Given the state of modern journalism, since I'm stuck with heavily spun or even outright fictional news, at least some of the online stuff is entertaining.
Old 03-03-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll have my local news on while making breakfast/dinner but that's about it. It's easier to scan a few webpages and get news in a few minutes... I listen to a fair amount of talkradio as well. (on both sides)
Old 03-03-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't a "We Media/Zogby Interactive online poll" going to skew the results more towards online?

A phone survey would have been more accurate.
Old 03-03-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Am I the only person here who doesn't frequent a single blog?

The only site I go to for news pretty much is CNN.com, with the exception of stories that people link in threads. I check out CNN.com probably 20 times a day if I'm being realistic (thorough read in the AM, quick glance at top stories throughout the day).

I do watch local news on TV occasionally while I cook dinner, and our town has a small local paper that I browse. If I'm still making dinner then I'll catch some network news in the evening as well.

CNN is on in the other room on rare days if I need some background noise or I'm fixing a nice lunch or something.
Old 03-03-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Am I the only person here who doesn't frequent a single blog?

The only site I go to for news pretty much is CNN.com, with the exception of stories that people link in threads. I check out CNN.com probably 20 times a day if I'm being realistic (thorough read in the AM, quick glance at top stories throughout the day).

I do watch local news on TV occasionally while I cook dinner, and our town has a small local paper that I browse. If I'm still making dinner then I'll catch some network news in the evening as well.

CNN is on in the other room on rare days if I need some background noise or I'm fixing a nice lunch or something.
I don't visit any blogs and I don't listen to any podcasts, and I'm a little vague on what an RSS feed is. And I really don't buy mp3s or use itunes even for my ripped mp3s. Sometimes I feel like an internet culture outsider.