Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

2008 Presidential Election part XI (Huckabee drops out, McCain gets nomination)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 02-29-08, 08:42 PM
Admin-Thanos

On to...egads part eleven.

Previous thread HERE

Rock on.
Old 02-29-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That was a great election. Man nobody ever thought Hillary could have done that well but I'm glad McCain pulled it out. Florida, Florida, Florida... What a ride... the next 4 years are going to seem easy compared to the past 2 years of campaigning.

Oh, wait... can't post that until Election Part XVI.
Old 02-29-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-29-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
That was a great election. Man nobody ever thought Hillary could have done that well but I'm glad McCain pulled it out. Florida, Florida, Florida... What a ride... the next 4 years are going to seem easy compared to the past 2 years of campaigning.

Oh, wait... can't post that until Election Part XVI.
Part 16? More like Part 46.

Although ... this could be the last Election Thread before the nominees are decided.
Old 02-29-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF
Part 16? More like Part 46.

Although ... this could be the last Election Thread before the nominees are decided.
You mean we're not taking a break for the summer?
Old 02-29-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Point...

<embed width="425" height="355" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M70emIFxETs&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"></embed>

Counterpoint...

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/353515028" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1438426955&playerId=353515028&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://services.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>
Old 02-29-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

If Hillary loses Texas do you really think she will drop out?

I can't see Hillary dropping out even under considerable pressure to do so unless it is mathematically too late. One thing I'll say for her is she seems like a fighter to me.

Last edited by General Zod; 02-29-08 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yet another example of Obama's camp being on the ball and Hilary's camp hurting themselves.

Hey Hilary, you should try and go negative, I mean...that will work, right?!
Old 02-29-08, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damnit. I had a response to General Zod from part X, but I lost it due to wi-fi issues. Ah, fuck it. Go torture! Fuck brown people!
Old 02-29-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Damnit. I had a response to General Zod from part X, but I lost it due to wi-fi issues. Ah, fuck it. Go torture! Fuck brown people!
Obviously I can't have an opinion without being labeled. I hoped for a more mature response but got what I expected.
Old 02-29-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ya never know what Edwards'll do with his delegates. Come on, this is the Clintons!! They write the rules
Old 02-29-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by General Zod
Obviously I can't have an opinion without being labeled. I hoped for a more mature response but got what I expected.
Without being labeled as what? Pro-torture? You are pro-torture.
Old 02-29-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pregnant Pause
It was, in this reporter's opinion, the most interesting moment in today's Clinton campaign phoner with reporters. Responding to the release of HRC's new TX TV ad, which asserts in no subtle terms that only she has the experience to deal with a major world crisis, and, relatedly, to keep your children safe, Slate's John Dickerson asked the obvious question:

"What foreign policy moment would you point to in Hillary's career where she's been tested by crisis?" he said.

Silence on the call. You could've knit a sweater in the time it took the usually verbose team of Mark Penn, Howard Wolfson and Lee Feinstein, Clinton's national security director, to find a cogent answer. And what they came up with was weak -- that she's been endorsed by many high ranking members of the uniformed military.
http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.c...ant_pause.html

Click through to the link and you can listen to the call.
Old 02-29-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Without being labeled as what? Pro-torture? You are pro-torture.
I am but it has nothing to do with "brown people" or any other particular kind of people. I think that was out of line and I think you owe me an apology.

I am pro-torture when it comes to getting information we need to be able defend ourselves and our way of life. I do not like that we should have to resort to such tactics but wars are fought and won on different fronts. One of those fronts is intel and we need as much of it as we can in order to succeed. If someone is part of an organization that is attempting to kill large amount of American citizens I think doing almost whatever it takes to find out what can be done to thwart them is necessary. I just do. I don't mind if you disagree.

I know it's morally nicer to say you don't condone such things but I think it avoids the reality of war.

On a side note - It may not have been your Wi-Fi. DVDTalk was acting weird to me earlier as well. Said it wasn't responding..
Old 02-29-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am but it has nothing to do with "brown people" or any other particular kind of people. I think that was out of line and I think you owe me an apology.
Good luck with that.

I am pro-torture when it comes to getting information we need to be able defend ourselves and our way of life. I do not like that we should have to resort to such tactics but wars are fought and won on different fronts. One of those fronts is intel and we need as much of it as we can in order to succeed. If someone is part of an organization that is attempting to kill large amount of American citizens I think doing whatever it takes to find out what can be done to thwart them is necessary. I just do. I don't mind if you disagree.
Two questions for you:

1) How much evidence would you need to see to admit that torture doesn't work?

2) Do you or do you not believe that American soldiers should not be tortured? If you believe they should not, by what right do we ask for that treatment if we torture people?

I know it's morally nicer to say you don't condone such things but I think it avoids the reality of war.
Torture is always a choice. We are not talking about accidental civilian deaths, for example.
Old 02-29-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am pro-torture when it comes to getting information we need to be able defend ourselves and our way of life.
The problem with this is that a large part of our way of life is that we do not torture.
Old 02-29-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

The problem with this is that a large part of our way of life is that we do not torture.
Of course we do. We just say that we don't.

I don't think we do it to the level some of our enemies do though. I don't think we use power drills or stuff like that. Waterboarding is probably the most severe. At least I would hope we don't go any further than that.

The term is also ambiguous and means different things to different people.
Old 02-29-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am pro-torture when it comes to getting information we need to be able defend ourselves and our way of life.
It never ceases to amaze me how some of you folks want our way of life to be just like their way of life...yet you just don't see it.
Old 02-29-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Numanoid
It never ceases to amaze me how some of you folks want our way of life to be just like their way of life...yet you just don't see it.
I don't want their way of life to be like ours unless that is the way they want it. I just want them not to try to kill millions of our people and I think we need to take the steps necessary to prevent that from happening.

Of course it would easier if everyone had common beliefs and cultures but we just aren't made that way.
Old 02-29-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good God, Obama seems like he's totally untouchable right now. No matter what Clinton hits him with it just bounces off and slaps her right across her face. When was the last time that we saw such a mismatch as we've been seeing over the past two or three weeks?

I can't wait to see Obama and John McCain go head to head.

Here is Bill Clinton apparently campaigning for Barack Obama way back in 2004:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGW38Zy4bJo&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RGW38Zy4bJo&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent"width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited by Brent L; 02-29-08 at 11:13 PM.
Old 03-01-08, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ohio and Texas are now officially in "pick 'em" mode -- Obama and Clinton are tied in Ohio, and Obama leads by 4 in Texas.

Zogby

Clinton had commanding leads in both states as recently as a month ago. As we saw in New Hampshire, anything can happen, but we're practically in the "miracle" phase for Hillary Clinton right now.
Old 03-01-08, 08:19 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

If Hillary loses Texas do you really think she will drop out?

I can't see Hillary dropping out even under considerable pressure to do so unless it is mathematically too late. One thing I'll say for her is she seems like a fighter to me.
Based on the current polling, it looks mathematically impossible for either side to hit the required number of delegates.

From the way the Clinton camp changed their spin over the past couple of days, she could lose all 4 states and stay in the race. Or perhaps win Ohio by a very slim margin and still stay in.

If she is delusional enough to stay in the race at that point, we should see an increased exodus of declared super-delegates switching sides. What was in the single digits in Feb will hit double digits in March. Plus Obama should surpass her totals when more undeclared super-delegates hop on the bandwagon.
Old 03-01-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flay
Based on the current polling, it looks mathematically impossible for either side to hit the required number of delegates.

From the way the Clinton camp changed their spin over the past couple of days, she could lose all 4 states and stay in the race. Or perhaps win Ohio by a very slim margin and still stay in.

If she is delusional enough to stay in the race at that point, we should see an increased exodus of declared super-delegates switching sides. What was in the single digits in Feb will hit double digits in March. Plus Obama should surpass her totals when more undeclared super-delegates hop on the bandwagon.
There was an interesting report from her campaign that said that if she loses either Texas or Ohio and doesn't drop out, a bunch of staffers will quit.
Old 03-01-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Flay
Howard Wolfson, communications director for the Clinton campaign, said yesterday, "Senator Obama has every advantage going into Texas and Ohio. If he can't win all four... [there is the suggestion] of buyer's remorse. It's really incumbent on them to win all these contests. And if they don't, it says something profound about Democratic unease."

Well, okey dokey... let's see... hmm, well, Hillary Clinton still has an above-average chance of winning Rhode Island... she's up 7 to 15 points there in polling. Vermont is a wipeout for Obama, 15+ points across the board... and he's been up in Texas pretty consistently for the past week or so. There's still a good chance that Hillary could take Ohio with a late push, but she's been trending downward for a month now.

So is there any chance that the Clinton camp could point to a single win in Rhode Island and keep up the claim that she's a relevant candidate? The rest of the primary slate is beginning to look bleak... even Pennsylvania is down to six points, and states like Wyoming, Mississippi, North Carolina and Indiana don't look good for her right now.

Last edited by NCMojo; 03-01-08 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-01-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, the further we get into this primary season... the more completely fucked up the Democratic Party's system looks. From the overabundance of representative primaries and caucuses, to the idiotic insistence on staying with an archaic calendar for primaries (why the fuck should Iowa and New Hampshire decide who should or should not be President?), to the preposterously undemocratic "superdelegate" system, to the arcane formulas used to determine who "wins" in any given state... the whole system is just a shambling mess. It makes college football's BCS system look like King Fucking Solomon in comparison.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.